con questions and rumors & reports

I had recovered from being emo, but seeing the pictures has made me emo again. :cry: I'll never be able to listen to Radiohead quite the same way again.

Paddy pulled out the guitar later on for some musical interludes, including the BwB Theme Song (Karma Police by Radiohead)

Not trying to be picky or anything, but Karma Police isn't really the BwB Theme Song, its actually Filippa Eilhart's theme song (along with Karma Chameleon, but I'd misplaced my capo, so I couldn't play that).

Nobody Does It Better was the theme song for 00Zollo and Hello Kitten the same for Lyanna Stark.

I'm sure we'll come up with a more suitable choice for the BwB Theme song, suggestions are most welcome.

Also are Filippa's screams when I started playing Karma Police and Nobody Does It Better as permanently etched into everyone else's brain as it is to mine?

That girl can scream.

I'd like claim credit, but there was some n00b pwning going on at the same time, so I cant really.

:P

Wow, just reading this thread and checking out the pictures has made me emo. Looks like a great time was had by all! I swear, when we finally win the lottery and can afford to quit our jobs, we're going to just travel from con to con all the time. Granted, I'd need a new liver within a year...but it'd be worth it!

How many days left 'till Worldcon?

BTW, I want to hear the famous Barbie story, GoN!

X-ray, I was thinking of the first line:

Went to a party

I danced all night

I drank 16 beers

And I started up a fight.

Totally works for Saturday night, when we nearly had our first BwB bar brawl. ;)

Also are Filippa's screams when I started playing Karma Police and Nobody Does It Better as permanently etched into everyone else's brain as it is to mine?

That girl can scream.

I'd like claim credit, but there was some n00b pwning going on at the same time, so I cant really.

:P

Ain't that the truth.

Hmm...approriate songs for the BwB:

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over (for those post-party emo blues)

The Jam - That's Entertainment (because if a BwB party isn't, I'd like to know what is)

Oasis - Cigarettes and Alcohol (actually, just alcohol probably)

Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us (self-explanatory)

Hendrix - Purple Haze (actually more of just a haze, really)

Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (because it was!)

I would say it had more of a squealy quality rather than screaming. :P

Anyway, Paddy fails at life because he didn't learn More than Words for me...

N

Anyway, Paddy fails at life because he didn't learn More than Words for me...

Hard, but fair.

I'm emo because it's trooo :cry:

Well, it'll be sorted by tonight. I've just got the song and the tab for it. It seems to be simple to play. I'll have it learned by then (5 days too late, of course).

Blame my stupid brain for not remembering things I'm supposed to.

I am going to try and pull myself together and put together some sort of report but apologies if it all descends into an emo poem about love and loss, you guys fucking pwnd London.

Wednesday GON rolled into town in the afternoon and herself, Sean and I headed into Holborn to meet the Stubbies at The Citie of Yorke pub. Dark Clad Stranger turned up, GON spoke about making herself come and called me a cunt within a minute of him joining us and he didn't run so we knew he would be alright. Thundersummoner arrived and proceeded to pwn us London n00bs by informing us he had been to meets three years ago he just seldom posts. The Stubbies got there and were just awesome. We all need to vote for Melbourne 2010 if all our Aussie boarders are as funny and warm as those guys. We moved on to another pub called The Knights Templar for a little but of a Westeros theme and proceeded to tell dirty stories and have a great time. The meet kicked of with a low key evening which was filled with loads of laughter.

I got down to one of the pubs owned by the hostel we were staying at around lunchtime Thursday. I guess about 8 of the guys were already there and drinking. We checked in and I realised I had forgotten to pack shoes. One bare foot trek to the local market and I was the owner of one pair of Chinese shoes which had much vamp and needed storing in a windy place, Have A Splendid Future! Back to meet up with the main group and we trawled the pubs of Borough meeting up with all the arrivals and eventually pwning the entire top floor of a pub. Zollo's arrival was noted for his spot on t-shirt, he is hawt. Not such a secret agent if you display your name on your clothes, maybe he is still an espionage n00b? Despite having been drinking for ten hours at this point some people wanted more. We went back to the hostel to decide what to do only to realise that the bar there was open until 4am. At this point it should be noted how much GON wins for finding this hostel for us. We avoided most of the STFU n00b other residents by taking over the chill out room. I sloped off to bed at 2 having only had 3 hours sleep after the drinking the night before but I am reliably informed that Paddy and Zak stayed up until 6 drinking cheap wine and emoing with Paddy's guitar.

Friday dawned bright and clear and we all eventually dragged ourselves out of the hostel. Ztem wanted to take a walk down the Thames so we strolled from London Bridge to Waterloo. We walked past The Golden Hind, The Globe Theatre, Bankside and like other stuff. Had an ice cream and generally looked like tourists. We headed to The Imperial War Museum. Many Randyl Tarly jokes later we decided that was enough of that tourist crap and went to the pub. Some of us had fish and chips just to help set the tone for the UK n00bs. A few beers and a visit to an internet cafe later we found a pub which was running a karaoke night. It is not easy to guide 25 drunk baorders through the streets of London but we all got there eventually, even those who decided to go for sushi without telling the tour guide *glare. It was at this point that Parris turned up which was a great surprise and a huge delight. Paddy again won by kicking off the karaoke with a wookiefied Bohemian Rhapsody. I missed loads of the performances as I was helping to meet arrivals but I do know that loads of people were up for it, the level was surprisingly good and that a drunk Sean demanding that the karaoke machine get switched back on to allow for a quick Backstreet Boys number does the trick. All sung and danced out we headed back to the hostel for more drinks but by this time some people were flagging and I think the thought of the party night meant that we were more chatty than drinking. Got to bed before 4 and crashed.

I had to shoot off on Saturday to get the balloons and stuff for the party so I missed pretty much the whole day. Sean was a star for driving through Central London traffic to get everything in place. Managed to catch up with a few people before heading to The George Inn to decorate and begin drinking. The BwB represented in a massive fashion. The party ruled, Sean again got all scary and let the manager know that just because the licence got fucked up doesn't mean he can be denied beer. It worked. Flip pwnd n00b. Paddy won again. This time he won the hand of Anathema* who turned out to be both beautiful and charming. (*may not be the real Anathema). Ztem ruled at DJing, I hung around his laptop for a while there just to catch what he had set up and he was the man. GON pwnd the door, all non-geeks beware. Zollo won at having his cock immortalised in a golden fashion. Paddy took over tfor the last hour with his guitar again. The man needs to be available for hire just to come out with me to the pub, he fucking rules. Zak was thanked for his appearance as our Guest of Honour, we didn't know Parris was going to be there but I would rather have fed him a nut than taken that honour away from him. I would have to say that looking around the room seeing so many people laughing, snogging, singing, dancing, drinking and all being absolutely hawt was a memory to keep. You guys made the party really something special.

The second half of the night was when the BwB officially conquered London. We hit the bar at the hostel in no uncertain terms. I am guessing that I had maybe a dozen shots forced* on me within the first hour. (*who's dumb idea was it to clear the entire bar of shots?) We danced, we represented, we had flava, we rolled, we scared off n00bs at life, we lectured drunken chavs and by all accounts the dance floor got rather hawt in my absence, thanks Parris for saving me from that little episode. I reckon probably a good half of all the boarders still drinking threw up at some point and carried on drinking, Vestrit 3 times apparently, not sure if this is good or bad but it is certainly hardcore. With the bar and the dance floor pwnd we retired to the chill out room, enough jokes were made for me to start crying and Chal pwnd the pukers by bleeding everywhere, blood pwns vomit. Most people sloped of to bed by 6 I think and me and my hellbitch fellow organiser set the world to rights until silly o'clock.

Getting up on Sunday hurt. The goodbyes more than the hangover. We eventually gather our wits and jumped on a boat along the Thames to Greenwich. The goodbyes continued throughout the day and Sean was so emo on the phone after he left he decided to come back on Monday morning just to get some more angst in. We, eventually got to Greenwich having be scared bt a RT designed notice, 'Penalties Will Be Severe'. Grabbed some Pie and Mash for more tourist authenticity and headed to the park. A bit of rugby and a bit more football later we realised that alcholol really does affect physical performance and headed to the pub. Vestrit was officially dubbed the Sunday Sean for helping organise and support the flagging committee. We found the most emo pub in London just to capture the mood a little but soon enough cheered up enough to head into a beer garden. We sat in the rain and were enthusiastic about life, it was wicked. Back into Central London for a curry, which was super, and more beers. The dirty hours were usurped by the wrong hours. We discovered the ultimate middle class status symbol, Chal had some interesting views on the plus side of E-Bay and Vestrit was awesome. Headed back to the bar at the hostel but the stfu n00b barstaff and general emo got to me so I headed for quiter grounds where Malt cheered me up by being the man and having his own signature shout, MALT!. Back to our room where 5 of us shared two beds and we laughed and emo'd until sleep overcame us, all got back to their own beds safely I hear.

Monday was just wrong. It is fucking wrong to have to say goodbye to so many awesome people at one time. As people slowly drifted away the rest of us headed to a cafe where an impromptu sing-a-long to Richard Marx pwnd the emo n00bs. We planted ourselves in Euston station and the group got smaller and smaller as trains came and went. Eventually it was just the Chals and I. They missed about 38 trains by being too emo to move. I had to go in the end and I have been shrouded in a cloud of emo pain ever since.

Thanks to everyone who came along for one day or six days or anywhere in between. You guys fucking ruled at partying. Sean was an absolute mountain in every sense, he was the go to man for shit and he always delivered. Vestrit shadowed for Sean in the best way possible, by keeping spirits up and being awesome. Chal was a legend. You pwnd my soul, give it back cunt.

Archived