If it ends up being protagonist vs. protagonist ...

[...] I'll root for Stannis even against the Starks. Although I'm pretty sure Stannis will be long dead before that might happen (he'll probably die in some horrifyingly ironic fashion.)

:agree: Everything is terrible but I'm here for Stannis until the bitter end. Which will probably be soon ..

Next would be Davos over Bran over Sansa over Jon over Arya, but only if they don't go against Stannis.

I still love Jaime & the Hound though they're pretty much doomed.

Also Edmure, Shireen, Mya, the Reeds, and the Blackfish, but not as passionately as the ones I mentioned before them. Everyone else can go & zero f*cks will be given by me.

I'm pulling for anyone against Dany, and that includes the Others.

:agree: Also pulling for anyone against Tyrion. I just find it very hard to like/root for him again.

... Who will you be rooting for?

I am most definitely not a proponent of every vaguely likeable person coming togther to fight the Others, Avengers-style. I think at some point, the plot will necessitate likeable, decent, protagonistic characters coming into conflict with each other.

So when that happens, whose side are you on?

I agree that Martin wants to setup situations where likeable characters fight each others, as that is substantially more interesting that only having someone considered definitively good fighting someone exceedingly loathsome.

There are two obvious collison courses at present: Stannis vs Aegon and Daenerys vs Aegon (the second Dance With Dragons)

I do not mean that Stannis will necessarily end up fighting Aegon much, if at all (the DWD will interrupt that probably) but, as of now, a straightfoward unfolding of events would produce this conflict. The fact of the matter is that the Iron Bank is backing Stannis and thus clearly expects him to succeed. This means they believe he not only can win the North but be expected to destroy the Lannisters with their help. However, the new factor of Aegon has been unleashed and it can be surmised that he will start seizing much of the south. Without Daenerys appearing on the scene, a strong probability would exist for the stage being set for a Stannis-Aegon showdown.

That would be a close one but I would hope for Stannis's success.

Aegon against Daenerys has pretty much be revealed by Martin to be happening. It seems a nearly foregone conclusion that Daenerys will ultimately succeed, if though the cost may be massive. Both have interesting sides though, so regardless of the outcome, the story will still have one or the other.

Stannis vs Daenerys: An interesting one. Stannis, but if he becomes some kind of Night's/Day's King, it would be necessary to see the context and nature of the change.

Stannis vs Starks is an agitating, unlikeable matchup. Not really worth cheering in that case. Not as likely as the above, fortunately.

The High Septon/sparrows versus Cersei/Lannisters: The Lannisters have had their day and now must accept other rising powers. They will give way to an alliance between Aegon and the sparrow movement.

Hypothetical:

Euron vs the Lannisters: Euron would make an appaling monarch but he is potentially much more interesting the the Lannister side as a collective for the remainder of the plot. Would be intriuging to see what he would do with imperial power beyond the Seastone chair.

Aegon vs Euron: Obviously, Aegon is the preferable king but another very interesting matchup. Only possible if Euron gains dragons or allies with Daenerys.

Individual houses, like the Starks, Tyrells, Martells, and the like, have to be rated differently unless they have massive, wide ranging ambitions. The Starks and Baratheons both rate highly in my estimation. The Martells are pretty interesting and certain Tyrells (Willas, Olenna) are great, though it is very annoying how the Tyrells saved the Lannister grip on the throne. The Tyrells and Lannisters need to be dislodged from each other.

The Iron Bank versus its targeted debt: The Iron Bank, so long exactions do not compromise the ability of Westeros to deal with the winter/Others.

Anything versus the Boltons: Anything

What Apple Martini said pretty much illustrates my views to the tee.

I don't understand how people can be so flighty and easily manipulated. A cool line or two, the odd witty comment and suddenly they forget Bran's fall and start rooting for the Kingslayer.

The Starks go into hiding and in their absence people eagerly jump onto the mid series filler that is Stannis in their eagerness to find a substitute hero.

I remain astounded by how easily Martin succeeds to manipulate large chunks of the readership.

Maybe Martin will write another series set 1000 years in the future and have the Greyjoys or Lannisters as the heroes. But in THIS series that's most certainly not the case. THIS series is about the Starks folks.

And shit's gonna be getting real for everyone who crossed them before this story is done. The Frey pies were not the main course by a long shot. It was just the starters..

I disagree here. I think it's clear that the series has moved far beyond just the Starks in terms of scope. They'll remain major players for sure, but not the only major players.

And let's not exaggerate here. Jaime's development has been a lot more than a couple of witty comments. Whether you think he's redeemed or not it's ridiculous to think that.

... Who will you be rooting for?

I am most definitely not a proponent of every vaguely likeable person coming togther to fight the Others, Avengers-style. I think at some point, the plot will necessitate likeable, decent, protagonistic characters coming into conflict with each other.

So when that happens, whose side are you on?

My one pretty much unwavering loyalty is to the Starks. Anyone who comes into serious conflict with them is on my shit list. When it comes to Stannis, as long as he's against the Boltons or Dany or the Lannisters, fine. The second he tries to muscle out the Starks, I'm moving on.

I'm pulling for Asha against all three of her uncles and against Stannis' men.

I'm pulling for Jaime against Cersei, obviously, but other than that I see him as a dead man walking.

I'm kind of past the point where I can't really pull for Tyrion anymore. I think he's lost the plot. And of course anyone in Westeros who gives Dany any sort of grief or trouble or opposition is someone I can get behind. I'll root for Aegon against her but not in any other case.

My order would be pretty much the same as yours, with one change (Stan at the bottom of the heap, just a step over registered, card-carrying villains, and Dany somewhere in the middle and above Young Griff). BTW, right now it's quite safe to say that Cersei isn't a protagonist in this story.

Also BTW, "the second Stannis tries to muscle out the Starks" would be the leeches ritual in the middle of ASOS.

I think a lot of the protagonists are gonna weaken each other/kill each other off before they can team up to fight the Others. I'd like to see a downfall of House Lannister (which is already happening), in a way that lets Jaime live because I am shamelessly in favor of him. I don't care what he does as long as he can stay alive.

I think the remaining of House Stark will take over. Pulling for Bran to have the most power in the very end! And Sansa getting to come home.

I root for any character that will end the Essos chapters.

I love the comments about anyone attacking the Starks is peoples shit list, but then root for Ashara Greyjoy. "Never trust a Greyjoy."

I root for Jon, but I want Stannis as his Hand, if Jon can prove he has a better claim than Stannis, Stannis will bend the knee. He is mister law. Plus Jon is one of the only people he likes. I also want to see Stannis and Gendry actually speak. Houses have to have alliances.

Now if Jon gets up with blue eyes I am totally rooting for him to destroy Westeros. The doom of Westeros. Jon has been on the Mary Sue train for to long, Martin should be getting ready to bring the pain. Something bad has to happen to Jon and not something as simple as being attacked, that happens to everyone in this world. You know it's coming, Martin has to do it before he starts writing Jon with a lightning bolt scar and a magic wand.

Jamie is one of the most intresting characters in the book, but you can see what is coming with him, he is totally burnt out. Still I hope he makes it to books 7.

If Joff was alive I would cheer for him, he was a great villian. What sucks is so many of the top Villians have been killed off, and others were not in the last book, Varys was in one chapter, Littlefinger not doing anything, Euron MIA, the Essos villians suck so of course they were in the books, although you get no POV of them because that's how much they suck.

I hope Dany wins the south, their is basically nobody in the south that means much these days.

I hope Bree finds Sansa and Arya or they find her, just give the woman a break already, having part of her face chewed off?

Could care less about Bran or Rick. Sorry Bran's chapters Bore the crap out of me, the best parts of his chapters are the Reeds, Hodor and Summer. The worst thing Jamie did was not finishing the Job, so far Bran has been nothing but a plot device used for flashbacks and visions.

Sam, I am rooting for him to grow a pair, and realize he is not half bad.

Arya, could care less, used to like her, but she has been a dead end since she got to Braavos.

Tryion, could care less about him than Arya, I don't know where whores go but good characters go to Essos to die.

UnCat, just die and go away, her story is pointless and you know she is just going to die again.

Pyp for king in the north. Screw the Starks, Pyp has what it takes. He also has blood of the dragon, just look at his ears he could practically fly with them. The Starks were to stupid to hold on to their own land, the hardest place to take in all of Westeros and they got KO'd in the first round.

I'm rooting for the Starks all the way, everyone else comes second. Whoever crosses the Starks is automatically on my shit list.

Stannis vs. Lannisters/Tyrells/Boltons/Freys then I'm rooting for Stannis. As long as he doesn't cross the Starks.

I'm picking Jaime over Cersei although I don't buy the whole "she manipulated and corrupted him" argument, he's a grown man.

Asha vs. the rest of her family: Asha all the way

Dany vs. Aegon: Take him down Dany!!

Lady Stoneheart vs. the Freys: Continue as you were LS, I love you in death as I did in life.

Tyrion vs. Drogon: Hoping for a dragon snack

Manderly vs. the Boltons: Manderly all the way

and the one I'm really hoping for:

Cersei vs. the High Sparrow: I want the last words he ever hears to be "Cersei Lannister sends her regards". Take the man down Cersei!!!!

After this thread, needs to be another one listing out the protagonist vs. protagonist matchups where you don't know who you would root for. I've got a few of those.

I have a feeling the Martells are going to play a role in the downfall of the Lannisters. Can't wait to read more about the Sand Snakes and didn't Doran send one of the slyest Snakes to Kings Landing?

He sent Nym to the council to take her father's place, and Tyene to infiltrate the faith. Very excited for both of those and would love to see either of them stir something up. They may have something to do with the Tyrells, too, if Tyene can have some influence on Marg's trial.

I think it would depend on the situation a lot. I mean Tyrion is far and away my favourite character but if it was between him and Jaime well... I can see a situation where Tyrion just loses it and tries to kill Jaime, but I'm finding it hard to think of a situation in which Jaime would be trying to kill Tyrion. So I'd be against Tyrion there.

Against Dany I'd probably be rooting for Tyrion every time, both because I like Tyrion more and because I have an easier time seeing Dany wanting to have Tyrion killed then I can seeing Tyrion wanting to kill Dany (Mainly because it's not in his interests.).

I am rooting for House Stark first and gormost, but I am also rooting for House Martell and as long as Stannis does not mind playing second fiddle to the Starks I will be rooting for him as well.

I want the Kingdom to be Divided into three territories: The Starks and the King in the North will rule the North, Iron Islands, and the Vale. King Stannis will rule the Crownlands, Stormlands, Dragonstone and part of the Reach. House Martell and the Queen of the South will rule Dorne and part of the Reach and they will all share the Riverlands. Does it make sense? No, but thats what I want. As long as Jon Snow, Arianne Martell and Stannis Baratheon come out on top.

I think the ultimate destination is to be several of the major protagonists coming together to fight the Others. Different roads leading to the same castle and all that. But the journey to that point will require the resolution of already existing conflicts between many of the protagonists. I'm sure plenty of them will already be dead by the time that happens. And that ultimate conflict with the Others need not involve everyone directly.

I'm Starks all day everyday!!! They matter at the end of the day and you best believe anybody who crosses them have a death wish and I'm praying to the many faced gods for their deaths.

The Targaryens are second I will root for them against any and everybody(except the Starks) I want Dany to have that throne at the end she's the least corrupt about it and she still has standards and limits that the other cutthroats lacked while trying to get the throne

Lannister vs Anybody: Anybody, I deeply resent this family and always will my hatred knows no bounds so I welcome death, destruction, heinous acts done to this family(except Tyrion)

Tyrion Vs Starks/Targaryens: I root for the Starks/Tarayens even though I love Tyrion they just matter more.

Jamie vs Cersei: I despise them both I will choose Cersei at the end of the day. I think she has been punished much much much more than Jamie, it's not enough punishment but she's the one punished more. I also don't like how Jamie's actions are excused as Cersei having control over him when that's bullshit. And I feel he has done much more or equal damage to the realm than Cersei

Hypothetical:

Euron vs the Lannisters: Euron would make an appaling monarch but he is potentially much more interesting the the Lannister side as a collective for the remainder of the plot. Would be intriuging to see what he would do with imperial power beyond the Seastone chair.

Imagine if the victorious Euron took Cersei as a saltwife. I bet we'd get a few scenes of domestic bliss out of that pairing!

Archived