[TV/Book Spoilers] TWOP Unsullied Thread Part 3

Independent George

I don't know, a lot of them seem to think 'Boy' might be Ramsay. It seems like it's just that one poster who still thinks it's Yara & co. doing the torturing. I expect in the next hours/days we'll see the rest of the crew counter that "spitball."

As The Anti-Targ mentioned above, point in case:

The ploy seems to have been to con Theon into talking, in a setting more conducive than torture to his telling the truth. More important than his feelings about the Starks, perhaps, was his admission that Bran and Rickon are alive. But I don't believe those were Yara's men; still believe the false savior is -- or works for -- Bolton's bastard.

Agree, it doesn't. But this is a disappointment in the show setup, IMHO.The whole keep-Ramsay-a-secret-while-he-tortures-Theon scenario just... isn't working. Viewers, even the smartest viewers at TWoP are like, WTF? And not in a good way, in a 'no-clue, ergo no interest' way.

I really don't think it's Yara. To borrow some Erving Goffman language, she "performs" dickishness toward Theon when she's in front of other Ironborn (keep in mind she's achieved respect from people that otherwise seem to have a misogynist attitude toward women), but when she was alone with him she revealed that she really did care for his well-being and wanted him home. Although she was rather hard-edged in that scene as well.At the same time, I have no idea what the deal is with "boy" murdering those Bolton torturers, then bringing Theon back and claiming Theon was responsible. Is he a glory hog who wants credit for recapturing Theon? Just likes murdering even those supposed to be on his side?

It appears your fears are well grounded. :worried:

Well, the alternative is getting Littlefingered. I'd take Loras. Although there is the alternate possibility of Tyrion, whom Tywin promised a wife befitting his station. I guess that now that isn't going to happen, but I really wish it would. Everything would work out perfectly! He could easily keep Shae around, he'd have political power independent of Tywin, she'd be safe and have a truly compassionate husband. I guess the show doesn't want it's characters to be happy, though. Loras it is.

The problem with whitewashing Tyrion is that fans are going to hate Sansa when she doesn't adore him like they do.

The Brotherhood without Banners serves the Lord of Light and has Gendry in their possession. I think this is bad, bad news. I wonder if they know who he is?

Yup, they are beginning to see the Light! Nothing is as it seems. The Red Witch is not alone. Bwaaahahahah.

The problem with whitewashing Tyrion is that fans are going to hate Sansa when she doesn't adore him like they do.

This is a very good point, but I'll be disappointed if people actually criticize Sansa when she doesn't spread her legs and do her duty in her wedding night.

I can't see that happening, but if she doesn't bend down for the wedding cloak thing, I do believe she'll get a lot of hate. I wonder how much the show is going to play up her spitefulness in that moment.

:agree:

Honestly, the lose of the possibility of Sansa escaping and marrying Willas was a tragic moment in the book especially when the alternative was her being stuck as a Lannister. Yet, here they have it so fans are actually considering the possibility of her escaping to Highgarden as the tragic outcome with her being forcibly married into the Lannister family as the preferable option. That should be sending off warning signs about how much the show writers have messed up her story.

I can't see that happening, but if she doesn't bend down for the wedding cloak thing, I do believe she'll get a lot of hate. I wonder how much the show is going to play up her spitefulness in that moment.

SPITEFULNESS? She's a 12 year old girl being forced to marry one of her enemies. She acted with dignity and self-respect.

I personally wonder how much the show is going to play up TYRION'S spitefulness and greed in marrying a harmless child who has witnessed her father's execution.

Though the fact that she is rejecting him despite the fact that he is actually quite handsome in the show could help to highlight the fact that she is rejecting him due to him being a Lannister and being one of her jailers.

SPITEFULNESS? She's a 12 year old girl being forced to marry one of her enemies. She acted with dignity and self-respect.

I personally wonder how much the show is going to play up TYRION'S spitefulness and greed in marrying a harmless child who has witnessed her father's execution.

If you think Tyrion married her out of "Spite" then you have less understanding of the character than the unsullied. His motives weren't pure, and yes there was an element of greed there, but spite never entered into it.

Weird that there are a couple of people there disappointed in the Dany scene because they guessed it coming, whereas people here actually knew it was coming yet for the most part loved it. I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy such a splendid sequence.

If you think Tyrion married her out of "Spite" then you have less understanding of the character than the unsullied. His motives weren't pure, and yes there was an element of greed there, but spite never entered into it.

I was being deliberately over the top to show how ridiculous the idea of Sansa being "spiteful" was. Sansa was the victim, not Tyrion. She could have attacked Tyrion, spat at him, etc. and her actions would never have been "spiteful" because they were all done in defense.

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that anyone can read Sansa's wedding and sympathise with Tyrion more than they sympathise with Sansa.

But anyway, the Unsullied have a good understanding of Tyrion... in the show. But he's a completely different (and far weaker) character to book Tyrion now.

I don't think Tyrion had any choice in the matter.

ETA: Didn't read your next post. :bang:

I was being deliberately over the top to show how ridiculous the idea of Sansa being "spiteful" was. Sansa was the victim, not Tyrion. She could have attacked Tyrion, spat at him, etc. and her actions would never have been "spiteful" because they were all done in defense.

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that anyone can read Sansa's wedding and sympathise with Tyrion more than they sympathise with Sansa.

But anyway, the Unsullied have a good understanding of Tyrion... in the show. But he's a completely different (and far weaker) character to book Tyrion now.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were being facetious. I took what you wrote at face value. My bad.

Personally, I feel bad for both of them at that wedding. Sansa's just a scared child and her antagonism is justified, but Tyrion doesn't really want to be there either. The experience is just as humiliating for him as it is for her. Tywin might have bribed him with talk of Winterfell, but that's only the silver lining to a dark cloud. It's not his driving motivation

I agree that the show has white-washed him somewhat, but I don't think he's a completely different character. Maybe that's because I have the book Tyrion in my head when I watch the show.

Sadly from the preview of next week, I think the answer will be not at all. Actually it will be some achievement if HBO make the forced child bride in to the bad guy.

I really would love to see a (representative) survey among GoT fans on who saw that coming of Dany and who didn't? From the reactions I saw so far, some casual viewers were totally surprised, some smart ones guessed it and apparently, all the unsullied were pretty down because they thought this one was so clear that the show couldn't do it. I do understand them to a degree, their complaint about the one dimensionality of the 's Essosi characters is true. Last season, the problem was of course too much repetition, but one thing that is true this year and last is that there's not enough exposition, i.e. the 'unsullied' are not mindless soldiers, that it is really exceptional that someone buys more than 1000 unsullied, that most of them are sold as household guards [which is why they have so many ready...], let alone all soldiers in the city which is why the "gun shop robbery" actually worked, and so on. But of course, more exposition is not what is needed, the speed of the show is what makes it good beside the many many 'talk' scenes we already have. So I'm okay with it falling flat a few times. I wonder if the unsullied will be more intrigued by Meeren which shapes up to get King's Landing levels of intrigue and the Lord Commander's election...

Yes, did Joffrey/the Hound/Beric/Thoros drop that it was Rhaegar's kids that got killed by the mountain. I'm eagerly waiting for the unsullied to pick that apart. There was much exposition in this episode which is strange since it got 3 big deaths and lots of action in it.

Btw. Do the unsullied know of this thread? (and are they okay with it?)

Archived