[TV/Book Spoilers] TWOP Unsullied Thread Part 3

Independent George

I really would love to see a (representative) survey among GoT fans on who saw that coming of Dany and who didn't? From the reactions I saw so far, some casual viewers were totally surprised, some smart ones guessed it and apparently, all the unsullied were pretty down because they thought this one was so clear that the show couldn't do it. I do understand them to a degree, their complaint about the one dimensionality of the 's Essosi characters is true. Last season, the problem was of course too much repetition, but one thing that is true this year and last is that there's not enough exposition, i.e. the 'unsullied' are not mindless soldiers, that it is really exceptional that someone buys more than 1000 unsullied, that most of them are sold as household guards [which is why they have so many ready...], let alone all soldiers in the city which is why the "gun shop robbery" actually worked, and so on. But of course, more exposition is not what is needed, the speed of the show is what makes it good beside the many many 'talk' scenes we already have. So I'm okay with it falling flat a few times. I wonder if the unsullied will be more intrigued by Meeren which shapes up to get King's Landing levels of intrigue and the Lord Commander's election...

Yes, did Joffrey/the Hound/Beric/Thoros drop that it was Rhaegar's kids that got killed by the mountain. I'm eagerly waiting for the unsullied to pick that apart. There was much exposition in this episode which is strange since it got 3 big deaths and lots of action in it.

Btw. Do the unsullied know of this thread? (and are they okay with it?)

I HIGHLY doubt they'd come venturing to a forum that was originally just for the books.

Yeah, but someone could have told them... Otherwise, this is pretty behind their back (I know, this is why we don't cite names or blame anyone of anything). But still, I would think it funny if they knew that someone is debating their debating and that they're now quite "famous" on these boards and Winter Is Coming and similar sites. It's just way meta...

Yeah, but someone could have told them... Otherwise, this is pretty behind their back (I know, this is why we don't cite names or blame anyone of anything). But still, I would think it funny if they knew that someone is debating their debating and that they're now quite "famous" on these boards and Winter Is Coming and similar sites. It's just way meta...

Haha, it is pretty meta. However, I think most people here post about them in a good manner, and more often than not express sincere declarations of being impressed at some of the stuff the Unsullied come up with. Of course, some people are stupid enough to laugh at some of the posts, but most of the times it's more in a sense of "oh, I feel bad for you because of what's gonna happen" than "how the fuck can you believe that", and the ones who do the latter are kinda embarrassing considering the fact that judging someone who has only seen the show while you've read the books and know all the facts is not very difficult, nor intelligent.

Sigh. This was posted re: Sansa possibly marrying Tyrion.

Well, the alternative is getting Littlefingered. I'd take Loras. Although there is the alternate possibility of Tyrion, whom Tywin promised a wife befitting his station. I guess that now that isn't going to happen, but I really wish it would. Everything would work out perfectly! He could easily keep Shae around, he'd have political power independent of Tywin, she'd be safe and have a truly compassionate husband. I guess the show doesn't want it's characters to be happy, though. Loras it is.

Yes, Tyrion has been too whitewashed if he's seen as a better alternative to a loveless-but-safe marriage to Loras. ShowTyrion is too handsome, witty, and goodhearted. Bracing myself for the Sansa backlash if they keep in her not kneeling, and her polite-but-guarded manner during their marriage.

I am surprised that any Unsullied are already picking up on Sansa/Tyrion, but I guess the line about Tyrion needing a wife is a good clue.

Sigh. This was posted re: Sansa possibly marrying Tyrion.

I am surprised that any Unsullied are already picking up on Sansa/Tyrion, but I guess the line about Tyrion needing a wife is a good clue.

Plus, the TWoP Unsullied just heard the Tyrells scheming to get Sansa into their family in order to take her value away from the Lannisters. So, I think their next logical thought would be 'what are the Lannisters going to do, in response, to foil the Tyrells?' And the answer is, marry her into the Lannister family.

haha, funny little exchange, here:

Welcome back Berric Dondarion. Looks like he did encounter the Mountain (or did he have the eyepatch when Ned sent him off?) but was lucky to have survived the encounter.

I didn't realize it was him! So, from all the people the plot hole swallowed Thorne is the only one it managed to keep down?

I really would love to see a (representative) survey among GoT fans on who saw that coming of Dany and who didn't? From the reactions I saw so far, some casual viewers were totally surprised, some smart ones guessed it and apparently, all the unsullied were pretty down because they thought this one was so clear that the show couldn't do it.

Even my idiot friend worked out half of what was going to happen (the dracarys bit) and he knows maybe 2 or 3 characters' names.

ETA: Using the 'dracarys' last season ruined the surprise.

On the positive side, Mormont is dead! Positive? Well, remember, who dies - Mormont or Mance - decides Jon Snow's fate. This means Jon Snow will be getting back to the Night's Watch (or whatever is left of it) and become the new boss there. Mark my words! (I guess Mormont left a secret "last will" or something before they marched north - and Jon will get the new boss in a similar clicheed way that Dany got her army. You know, some (wo)men have greatness thrust upon them. Sorry, I'm a little bit frustrated right now.)

hahaha! they aren't ready for Sam's brilliant campaign management!!

I'm a little sad that we didn't get "Sam, the Slayer" they could have included it so easily in the first episode... maybe we get it but nobody in the NW will witness it.

I loved the Dany scene, E. Clarke is really good. (sure you wanted to know... :P )

P.S: the member of the Night's Watch "who has time to shave" looks like a younger version of Illyn Payne...

Some of them see the "Dracarys" moment as a bit of a cop-out, but the only reason it worked was because the Astapori lusted for dragons. They never would have sold their entire supply of Unsullied if there hadn't been the chance of winning a dragon. And they didn't fear Dany turning against them because selling a dragon for 8000 Unsullied made her look pretty stupid.

Even my idiot friend worked out half of what was going to happen (the dracarys bit) and he knows maybe 2 or 3 characters' names.

ETA: Using the 'dracarys' last season ruined the surprise.

Is he really your freind when you call him idiot?

They are not finished with the Night's Watch for the season, 'Sam the Slayer' can still come and I doubt the introduce the one member that killed Craster for one scene.

I can understand their problems with Dany's scenes, but judging from the twitter et al reactions, this very 'straightforward' scene ("let's say, it's Big Bang Theory niveau, not Community level") worked for the big majority of viewers. And that's what counts. I also think that less than the number of her army (8000) is important than the visual ("that's a lot there from the aerial shot") when many viewers will debate her chances of invading Westeros...

Tyrion does seem to have been made a bit too king though, I agree. They should have had some Symeon Silvertongue thing in there...

Some Unsullied seem to already be fed-up with having to watch with what Theon (and Jaime/Brienne) have to endure. Now the latter are nearly on their climax of torture (well, Brienne has something hairy coming for her...), but Theon? I wonder how many of them will still be watching when we get to Theon eating raw and living rats and begging to have cut of a finger and you know that other thing...

Okay, I'm really disappointed of course. When the last section started and it became absolutely clear that they would play the whole arm robbery straigt, I felt like: What the fuck, that's it for me, I'm out of here. Seriously, why is there such a huge gap between the interesting and multi-dimensional display on everything in Westeros (south of the Wall, that is) and these comic plots and card-board characters everywhere else?

Okay, I will _not_ give up the show just now, but to me, Dany's arc is dead to me now and I'm going to ignore her henceforth.

oh boy, and they're just being introduced to the nonsensical/stupid/one-dimensional/contrived story line in Slaver's Bay (and everything Dany is). This guy is going to loathe Dany as much as I do in the books lol

Aren't we overdue for a new thread? I'm at the office and can't post all the links needed for the index from my phone.

Yep, but I'm sure the Mods are overloaded today with all the traffic after last night's episode, and only they can close this thread. If they haven't done so by tomorrow, I'll convo them to close this one and then I'll open a new one.

PS: Get back to work! :laugh:

Yep, but I'm sure the Mods are overloaded today with all the traffic after last night's episode, and only they can close this thread. If they haven't done so by tomorrow, I'll convo them to close this one and then I'll open a new one.

PS: Get back to work! :laugh:

It's amazing how similar GOT is to NFL season in terms of its impact on my work productivity.

Anyway, suggested subtitles for the new thread:

1. Dracarys

2. Growing Strong

3. And His Watch Has Ended

4. When the nonexistant bumps against the decrepit.

5. They said it was hard to describe.

Okay, I'm really disappointed of course. When the last section started and it became absolutely clear that they would play the whole arm robbery straigt, I felt like: What the fuck, that's it for me, I'm out of here. Seriously, why is there such a huge gap between the interesting and multi-dimensional display on everything in Westeros (south of the Wall, that is) and these comic plots and card-board characters everywhere else?

Okay, I will _not_ give up the show just now, but to me, Dany's arc is dead to me now and I'm going to ignore her henceforth.

THis person is absolutely right. This scene only works on a basic thrill level, it does not sand to scrutiny at all. It didn't work in the books, and it only works in the show as a cheap thrill. Logic has no place in this sequence, or anywhere in Dany's arc. It has nothing to do with the magic or the dragons, it has everything to do with the fact that in order for Dany to appear remarkable, everyone around her has to be reduced to a scenery chewing villain with piss for brains.

ETA:

The show's lack luster plot line North of the wall, I'm afraid, can be placed squarely on the show writer's shoulders. They're not doing the North much justice.

Archived