How has the forum changed your opinion of the characters?

Chaircat Meow

Well, I was neutral towards Cat but now I dislike her.

I used to hate Sansa but now I like her.

I never cared for Val but now I like her ... alot LOL

I'm also surprised on how much antipathy there is towards Tyrion , although it has not changed my perspective on him.

But above all , this forum has made Sandor my number one favourite character, eclipsing Tyrion and that's something I never considered when I first read the books.

Underzaker - So what was it that turned Cat, Sansa, Val and Sandor around for you?

No, it hasn't changed my opinions. I think that is because I had pretty strong opinions already, especially about the major characters.

The main benefit I get from it is discovering things I missed while reading. I just finished the books for the first time, and so there were plenty of little details that I didn't notice that this forum helps with.

people blush for all sorts of reasons. I think that interpretation is not valid. Sansa has become the ultimate "careful player". She sees a lot more than she did before, and just isn't as easily fooled. I think she agrees to it so as not to embarass LF, because she's gracious and polite.

I hope so. The last thing I would want is for her to make that mistake. Does Littlefinger have any redeeming qualities?

I hope so. The last thing I would want is for her to make that mistake. Does Littlefinger have any redeeming qualities?

well he *could* fix the economy if he wanted to (presumably, he's good at borrowing, no evidence that he's good at producing revenue) but that's no good when you prefer to bankrupt the throne and create chaos

I used to like Varys...until I started reading through this.

I already hated LF but the forums made me hate even more.

My opinion of Stannis and Bran improved. A bit more of dislike towards Robb though.

well he *could* fix the economy if he wanted to (presumably, he's good at borrowing, no evidence that he's good at producing revenue) but that's no good when you prefer to bankrupt the throne and create chaos

That sounds like a modern-day banker. Ha ha.

I used to like Varys...until I started reading through this.

I already hated LF but the forums made me hate even more.

My opinion of Stannis and Bran improved. A bit more of dislike towards Robb though.

Personally I was surprised when I came here just how many people dislike Bran. I wouldn't rank him among my favorite characters or anything like that, but I always found his storyline quite intriguing especially with the introduction of The Reeds and even moreso in ADWD when he the nature of the "weirwood net" is uncovered through him. I guess some people just don't get into the more "fantastical" elements of the story but to me, that's the stuff that's going to play a major role in the series ending moreso than any Iron Throne political nonsense, if I were to reckon it anyway.

yikes what an intense discussion!! IMO these threads about Peoples opinions of the threads is not a good idea, likewise neither are threads about 'Who, What, When and Why do you hate/like the most/worst?'

All it does is make everyone crazy argue, then they say things that are mean or rude out of haste and anger. Can't we just stick to discussing the stories from GRRM? There is plenty of time and room for Stannis/LittleFinger/Tywin/cersei/Dany/Ramsay lovers/haters to argue on threads that discuss actual theories and ideas. This is all just flirting with disaster.

I don't like Tyrion when he used to be one of my favorites. I don't know if this is because the Tyrion vs Sansa debates that raged on the forums for a while or because I found his Dance chapters really boring.

I like Robb less. Not a huge thing. He was never one of my favorites, and I don't hate him or anything now.Those are the ones that come to my mind immediately.

EDIT: These are also just characters that other posters have altered my opinion. There is some that my opinion changed because I examined the character indepth while arguing something. Example: I dislike Quentyn and actually started to like Daario after debating on whether Dany was responsible for Quentyn's death. It wasn't other people's opinions that changed my mind, but closer examination of the two (I'm not a Dany fan so I don't read as closely about her storyline as I do with Stannis or Sansa).

Personally I was surprised when I came here just how many people dislike Bran. I wouldn't rank him among my favorite characters or anything like that, but I always found his storyline quite intriguing especially with the introduction of The Reeds and even moreso in ADWD when he the nature of the "weirwood net" is uncovered through him. I guess some people just don't get into the more "fantastical" elements of the story but to me, that's the stuff that's going to play a major role in the series ending moreso than any Iron Throne political nonsense, if I were to reckon it anyway.

Maybe its because Bran lacks female parts :P:

But i agree. I like Bran a lot and his story is among the most fascinating to me.

yikes what an intense discussion!! IMO these threads about Peoples opinions of the threads is not a good idea, likewise neither are threads about 'Who, What, When and Why do you hate/like the most/worst?'

All it does is make everyone crazy argue, then they say things that are mean or rude out of haste and anger. Can't we just stick to discussing the stories from GRRM? There is plenty of time and room for Stannis/LittleFinger/Tywin/cersei/Dany/Ramsay lovers/haters to argue on threads that discuss actual theories and ideas. This is all just flirting with disaster.

You're right, people shouldn't give their opinions.

Havent been on the forums long enough for it to have that kind of effect, not that I think it ever will. Even before I joined up though, I would not be, and have not been, surprised to see that everyone has their fans, and everyone has their critics. I dont know how may others had this experience, but I liked my favorites, Arya and Jon, best even just when I was a Tv viewer, only to find myself thrilled to see how infinitely better their book versions were. Same with Tyrion, though with him, I always had Peter Dinklage in my head despite how differently he's described in the books. With Dany it was a mix of good and bad seeing Book and TV fuse in my mind. My Tv images always invaded my book reading. I think this was good for me though.

Side note; I was most shocked, after getting into the books, and reading the forums to find that R+L=J was something debated and investigated so heavily. I actually had found myself thinking R+L=J just from Season 1 of the Tv show alone, before I even knew it was a thing book readers obsessed over. I remember Id tell other Tv watches and they'd have no clue what I was talking about, or that Jon's parentage was something to care about. I was like "it would make him the true king!! not to mention Dany's nephew" that second part really confused people. I of course did learn that this was a popular theory before I even began reading the books, but I thought if I could guess this just from virtually no evidence in the show, than it MUST be true.

I used to love Stannis form the books, but after seeing the Stannis fan club I changed my mind. Now it's pure hate, I just worry so much I will end up like another Stannis fan boy gone wrong. I don't even think fanboy is the right word it really is more of a sickness and dark corruption that knows no bounds. After seeing what Stannis has done to so many fans I fear he may very well be the source of all evil in the universe.

I used to love Stannis form the books, but after seeing the Stannis fan club I changed my mind. Now it's pure hate, I just worry so much I will end up like another Stannis fan boy gone wrong. I don't even think fanboy is the right word it really is more of a sickness and dark corruption that knows no bounds. After seeing what Stannis has done to so many fans I fear he may very well be the source of all evil in the universe.

:o Why should our loyalty to His Grace make you turn away from his just cause?

Oh, and the correct term is "Stanstans" or "King's Men."

Archived