Canadian Politics II: The Polite War

Lord of Oop North

I missed the fact that the Canadian government decided earlier this year to get around all the attempts of the owner of the bridge that crosses between Windsor and Detroit to block a new bridge from being built between Canada and the United States. The bridge owner, Matty Maroun, bought up properties around the Canadian side of the bridge, which runs right beside the University of Windsor, and block busted. I have friends who have retired in the neighbourhood, a very nice middle class area in the former historic town of Sandwich who had to watch with great misery as the two blocks directly east of them got bought up and boarded up, going from a village of mainly pretty 50s and 60s houses to a ghost town of chain link fences, guard dogs and security cameras.

First we had to go through the last election, where Maroun tried to get a state legislature elected that would demand he be granted the right to double the size of his bridge, when the Canadian government had already made the decision that it would be strategically wrong to continue the bottleneck at one of the country's busiest border crossings. Next, when Michigan said they were broke, the Canadian government agreed to lend the state the money they would need to build their half of the bridge, and now, with the Obama government dragging it's feet about committing $250 M to build the customs plaza that would be required, the Canadian government is supplying the money to buy the land needed on the US side.

The only thing that surprises me is that the government actually did this for Ontario (hell, the MPs are NDP) but I think the crossing is important to Alberta because supplies go west from Ontario through the US for the oil sector. No, I'm not cynical. :P

:D

I live in Windsor, and most of us pretty much roll our eyes the moment Maroun's name is mentioned in any context. He has that effect on us. :P

No doubt Flaherty was the one to push for the second bridge...you know, ever since the increase in the amount of money we are allowed to spend on American goods for personal use (cross-border shopping) while decreasing the amount of time we need to spend in the US to buy those products. The traffic is horrendous and waiting to cross is aggravating to say in the least.

I don't think too many Windsorites were surprised about the American gov't being unable to put much money into the bridge. It would have been poor politics for them to hand over money to the Canadian/Ontario gov't while the City of Detroit was declaring bankruptcy.

What ticks us off about the whole thing is the jobs that were promised from the Windsor jobless pool. From what's been rumoured, they're taking resumes from those living outside the province. :frown5:

And thank you for the heads up on the election outcome. It has me even more interested about what'll happen when we head for the Federal election poll. :wideeyed:

Glad that Testiclese is now Prime Minister, disappointed that he got a majority... A majority in Quebec is never a good thing.

Glad that that old witch Marois is finally gone though, that didn't last long.

And now a Liberal majority. L'argent et le vote ethnique encore!

"L'ostie de vote ethnique!"

As they jut said on the CBC, if you were a betting man that was not a bet you probably made. Amazing, just amazing, how the tide can turn in politics.

Depends when you made the bet. All the polling (as shit as Canadian polling usually is) has been predicting Liberal victory for ages now.

Also, Marois lost her riding. Lols.

Big news of the day - Finance minister Jim Flaherty resigns. I'm surprised it took so long, the last time I saw him in an interview I was shocked to see how sickly he looked. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/finance-minister-jim-flaherty-resigns-from-cabinet/article17549674/

In fact, I told my friends I thought he looked like death.

Flaherty's death comes as a "terrible shock", says Harper

Years ago my mother and I stopped by in Cobourg to say hello to a good friend's mom. She had had some health issues, but was doing very well at the time. After we left, my mother said to me, what a pity she'll be dead soon. I was rather stunned by that statement, and told my mom, nope, she was much better than she had been in years. My mom looked at me with pity in her eyes, and said to me, "Can't you see she has death written all over her face?" She shook her head, and then said perhaps I was still too young, but one day I would be able to see it too.

Man, I looked at Flaherty in his last few interviews and commented to everyone I knew that he looked dreadful, that he must have resigned because he had been told death was imminent. I was pretty surprised when he announced he was going to take up a position in private business. And from all the comments I heard today, Flaherty's death came as a surprise.

I have no idea what the answer to this is, but if this happened at your house do you think the police would lay charges? What do you think?

Teen Rushed to Hospital after Party at 24 Sussex Drive

An 18-year-old girl was rushed to hospital Saturday night with suspected alcohol poisoning after a party at 24 Sussex Drive, the official residence of the prime minister and his family.

The RCMP has confirmed the young woman is not a member of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's family.

Harper's son, Ben, was born in 1996 and turned 18 on Saturday. He was celebrating his birthday at the residence.

The Prime Minister's Office refused to say whether alcohol was served at 24 Sussex or whether there was any booze at Ben's birthday party.

The legal drinking age in Ontario is 19 and it is illegal to provide alcohol to minors. The legal drinking age in nearby Quebec is 18.

I have no idea what the answer to this is, but if this happened at your house do you think the police would lay charges? What do you think?

This CBC article says "The RCMP, who are responsible for protecting Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his family, say it was not a police matter." :bs:

I had a house party filled with 18 and 19 year olds. The cops came after a taxi reported a body on the lawn (and proceeded to leave)when he arrived for a pickup. The body got up and stumbled off down the road before said boss arrived.

They could not be bothered beyond "Not all of you are of age,are you? Keep it inside for the rest of the night" and then left. There were no noise complaints or anything else before so only the vomit pass out guy gave us away.

Of course, this was 24 years ago.

Yes, and also no one had to be taken to hospital with alcohol poisoning, I assume.

You wonder about comments politicians make that could come back to haunt them. When other political leaders, like Justin Trudeau, said they had used drugs in their youth, Harper said he had been offered a toke but was too busy drinking beer to be bothered accepting it.

Further information from the RCMP:

“The RCMP’s role is to ensure the personal protection of the Prime Minister and his family. The RCMP is also responsible for security at their official residence,” spokeswoman Cpl. Lucy Shorey wrote in an email.

“This was a medical call and not a police matter. It did not involve any of our protectees.”

Oh, but it did involve your protectees, because the adults at the home are responsible when it comes to underage drinking in their home. To add to that:

Homeowner liability

There is also the potential for civil litigation if something goes wrong in the home, warned Insurance Board of Canada spokesperson Pete Karageorgos.

"It’s a lot like if you don’t clean the ice of your front steps - it’s the same concept if you’re hosting a party," he said. "If someone slips on the steps, they can sue. If someone has a few drinks, climbs up the side of the house and jumps into the pool from the roof the owner may be liable for their safety."

Karageorgos also warned that hosts of any party may want to review their policy before their guests arrive.

"You cannot insure illegal acts, so doing something like serving alcohol to minors may void the policy, depending on the company and policy wordings."

"It comes down to duty of care," he added. "You’ve got to be responsible instead of irresponsible because at the end of the day the host can be found liable."

Harper is so quick to say that he has excellent judgment, but ultimately that's just pure poppycock.

Omar Khadr to appeal his terrorism convictions.

Good for him! I still think this whole kangaroo court process will leave a lasting stain on the U.S. and I'm definitely disappointed that Obama didn't stop this whole charade when he had the chance.

I particularly agree with this:

Even if we disregard the fact that Khadr was a child soldier who had no choice in being there in the first place, the fact is that these charges stem from a violent exchange of gunfire that took place in a theatre of war. If Khadr is guilty of murder in that instance then so are all the U.S. soldiers who killed the people that were with Khadr at the time. The notion that certain U.S. enemies are legitimate targets for killing but are subject to murder charges if they fight back is kafkaesque logic at its best!

I agree treason is a more applicable charge for him

So then why do you think what Khadr did was treason? He didn't pass any information.

There is different ways of betraying your country Didn't he help al Qaeda or something? I don't know about Canada but I believe America is on war against them and the other Sunni terrorist groups

So then why do you think what Khadr did was treason? He didn't pass any information.

:agree:

There is different ways of betraying your country Didn't he help al Qaeda or something? I don't know about Canada but I believe America is on war against them and the other Sunni terrorist groups

He's a child soldier according to the Geneva conventions, so he shouldn't be facing any charges.

Archived