[Book Spoilers] Question About Scene At Crasters

I just rewatched that scene with 'You are a bastard. A daughter f*king, wildling bastard'.

Thank you! random Night's watch extra. You said it like it was.

Could have put in a line about being in league with white walkers too.

Not everyone might actually know that though - everyone could see he was sleeping with his daughters, not all of the NW might have known he was sacrificing his sons to the WW.

I think the way they will have the Sam the Slayer scene is with him blubbering as one comes up, Grenn and Edd close enough to see but not do anything and Sam pull out the dagger and stab blindly as he did in the book. I really do hope they don't "brave him up" for the scene - standing between Gilly and the WW as a defence.

Hmmm I can admit I am a bit of a book purist and I did want to hear the Old Bear's dying wish. However, in the books I remember Jon Snow mentioning the Old Bear left notes on some people of the Watch for the next LC to be careful of. Who is to say he didn't leave a written will and testament to be carried out by the next LC... you know something like:

"While I am grateful for Ned Stark of Winterfell for sparing the life of my son Jorah, let my last wish be known that I ask the King (of the North) to lift his exile and let him return home. Let him take the black so he can stand up and protect his family and countrymen from the shadows I now know lurk beyond the wall. I have no doubts that the Nights Watch will need every man to face the dangers men have long forgotten in these coming days."

Something like that gets the wish across and it would be nice to see a reaction from Jon Snow as he reads this to himself aloud.

As for the line. "We never knew! But we must have known once. The Night’s Watch has forgotten its true purpose, Tarly. You don’t build a wall seven hundred feet high to keep savages in skins from stealing women. The Wall was made to guard the realms of men … and not against other men, which is all the wildlings are when you come right down to it. Too many years, Tarly, too many hundreds and thousands of years. We lost sight of the true enemy. And now he’s here, but we don’t know how to fight him."

While I would have preferred hearing it from the Old Bear, it is a line that Jon Snow can take over at any point really, probably after Sam the Slayer relays how he actually killed an Other. Where and when remains the question I look forward to seeing in the series. The how is obviously obsidian/dragonglass. :D

I sign on to this interpretation. I do think GRRM will come back to this dying wish. At the very least Jorah will hear about it, and I could definitely see him taking the black - particularly if Dany doesn't wind up on the Iron Throne and needing a queensguard.

I thought it was a rather nice, perhaps symbolic image when Mormont fell dead next to Craster in a Ying Yang kind of way (if i saw that right).

Mormont in a way only has sons (the NW brothers) while he shuns girls. Craster only has daughters and shuns his sons. There is something incestuous about both groups, granted Craster less metaphorically so.

Mormont defended the law and new order against the white walkers from his side of the wall, Craster supplied the white walkers with his sons to propitiate them and maybe even bring about the return of the old ways.

Mormont and Craster represent the first humans on either side of the wall. And now they lay dead side by side, killed by treachery. Bad signs for all of humanity no matter where you are.

While I am grateful for Ned Stark of Winterfell for sparing the life of my son Jorah, let my last wish be known that I ask the King (of the North) to lift his exile and let him return home.

Sorry to hack up your quote but this is pretty important when it comes to discussing/evaluating the character of Jorah Mormont. He was not exiled by Ned Stark, he ran. If he hadn't legged it to Essos before Ned arrived on Bear Island trust me, Ice would have had his head.

I loved that there was still NW who fought for Mormont after he's gone. Guess at least some of them took their vows and loyalty seriously ;)

Grenn's charge put a big smile on my face. Aurochs indeed.

the dude who started everything is Chett i think (Burn Gorman). I like Rast, he's a bad guy with the brains and skills of a peasant. An underdog that will be crowned King of Westeros by the end of book 7

My favourite part of the scene was Grenn running to attack Burn Gorman moments after Rast stabs Mormont. I've always like Grenn, but I've never truly loved him until right now.

Yes Grenn is awesome, Love him in the Books and he is perfect on the show.

'I AM A GODLY MAN!''

''You are a bastard, a daughter fucking wildling bastard''

''RUN FAST PIGGY! AND SLEEP WELL! I'LL BE CUTTING YOUR THROAT ONE OF THESE NIGHTS''

some great dialogue and an ultimately good adaption of The Mutiny of the Night's Watch, however I'm also disappointed we didn't get Jeor's dying words.

Felt a bit guilty over thinking random ranger guy was a total hottie.

Hah! Same here. Apparently Burn Gorman is a big deal? I had no idea, but I thought he was pretty cute up until he commenced with the shankin'. :lol:

The whole scene leading up to that was wonderful. For being a tubby old man, Craster really evoked that 'wild, tough old salt that you don't want to mess with kind' of image when he was sputtering with rage, banging on his chest, and bellowing out "I AM A GODLY MAN!"

Rast seemed like the right guy to be part of all this. The scene played out really well. I'm only sorry we didn't get Mormont's final words to Sam.

Gah! I know! It frustrated me how they could get so much of that scene right w/ the chaos and anger of the watch from starvation, but leave out such an important character moment for Mormont. For a split second thought the Old Bear would stumble outside and have his moment w/ Sam, but then he coughed up the blood and that greasy fucker started stabbing him.

Archived