[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 5 Preview

iheartseverus

I would have thought that the next best thing to do with Bran's story is simply do the first Bran chapter from SOS where he is dreaming that he is a wolf, and Jojen pesters him about loosing control of himself and giving in to the inner wolf.

I understand that it would end up being a dreamfest for Bran this series, but it's all important for where his character goes, as they don't really do anything interest outside of the dreams until they bump into Sam

If anything it would give us some more Wolf coverage, as that seems to be lacking somewhat. I keep forgetting they exist.

The Knight of the Laughing Tree is one of the biggest chapters of intrest in book 3 IMO. The show probably doesn't agree... but I bet Ned Stark would...

Cogman also just mentioned that Sansa has a somewhat 'significant' scene (conjecture on my part, as he mentions that it had to be re-written several times, which could also be an effect of removing Dontos from her story line [or re-inserting him, as D&D recently mentioned that we haven't seen the last of him]) added to this episode in editing, so we can expect some follow-up to the betrothal of Sansa & Loras.

That's not exactly what he said, though, assuming we're referencing the same thing (Bryan Cogman's interview with WIC.net). This is the quote:

And in every episode there’s a scene or storyline I have a helluva time working out. That stuff is usually written in a mad frenzy, late at night, the night before it’s due. For 305, it was a particular Sansa scene (that was largely rewritten anyway due to a production issue… oh, well.)

He mentions that it was mostly rewritten due to a "production issue." Not quite sure what that means. Maybe it couldn't be shot the way it was written, or something like that. I'm guessing this is the scene from the 3x05 promo where Sansa is looking away from Littlefinger's ship (with the mockingbird on its sail).

I don't know that we can assume that the scene is significant because it had to be (mostly) rewritten due a to production issue. I mean, heck, it might be, but there's nothing in the quote to indicate that.

I'm kind of confused about the Tyrion/Sansa implications in the promo, becaue the description for episode 6 made it sound like that was when Tywin started making his plans.

Yup, but the line about the plot and acting first from Tywin in a conversation with Tywin, Tyrion and Cersei, Tyrion's somewhat alarmed "You can't mean it," and a quick cut to Sansa (watching a ship with a big old mockingbird painted on its sail) can only mean one thing.

There's a Tywin/Olenna scene in 3x06 (the scene from the featurette where Olenna snaps his quill pen in half), so maybe the "Tywin plans strategic unions for the Lannisters" bit from 3x06 could reference that, and not the conversation where Tywin tells Cersei and Tyrion of his plans. (Sometimes these synopsis lines reference single scenes rather than multiple scenes.) I'm guessing he tells Olenna she can't have Sansa but she can have Cersei for Loras--"unions" implies Tyrion/Sansa and Loras/Cersei--and Olenna is understandably not thrilled with this information.

In the 3x05 ep description: The Hound is judged by the gods; Jaime is judged by men. Jon proves himself; Robb is betrayed. Tyrion learns the cost of weddings.

In the 3x05 promo, we have the following scenes/plotlines:

-Jon/Tormund, Jon/Ygritte in the cave

-Sansa watching Littlefinger's ship arrive/leave?

-Tywin/Tyrion/Cersei and the Tyrion/Sansa marriage (and likely the Loras/Cersei marriage as well)

-Hound vs. Beric

-Dany meeting Grey Worm

-Shireen hugging Stannis (d'awwww)

-Davos in a cell

-Roose/Jaime/Brienne at Harrenhal

-Rickard (and Robb's execution of Rickard)

-Robb brooding sexily over maps

-Jaime's wound being cauterized (by Qyburn)

In the "recap" (the "previouslys" shown before Episode 5), we have the following:

-Cersei telling Tywin the Tyrells are a problem, Sansa and Margaery discussing a possible marriage to Loras

-Melisandre talking about Selyse, Stannis ordering Davos' imprisonment

-Rickard saying he wants his vengeance, Robb and Edmure discussing the Lannister hostages

-Locke threatening to take Jaime's other hand

-Varys explaining that Jorah is a spy

-Hound/Beric

-Dany and the Unsullied

So if I cobble together what's going on in Episode 5 from the above and throw in my own speculation, this is what I've got:

Jon: Jon/Tormund, Jon/Ygritte

Jaime: Jaime and Brienne arrive at Harrenhal, Jaime's wound is cauterized, possibly the bath scene

Robb/Cat: brooding (sexily) over maps, discovery of Rickard's murder of the Lannister hostages and execution of Rickard

KL: Tyrion might have a scene with Olenna about financing Joffrey and Margaery's wedding (there was a scene in one of the making-of featurettes, where Tyrion says "We're at war" to Olenna, possibly referencing the "Tyrion learns the cost of weddings" line over and above the scene with Tyrion/Tywin/Cersei), Sansa refuses to leave KL with Littlefinger, Tywin discovers Loras/Sansa plot (through...someone?), Tywin tells Tyrion and Cersei of his planned betrothals for them

Dany: Dany meets Grey Worm, Jorah is outed as a spy

Arya: Hound/Beric trial by combat, I think Cogman said that Arya has "scenes" not just the one scene

Davos: Stannis/Selyse/Shireen, Stannis visits Davos in his cell

Theon/Bran/Sam: sit this one out?

It seems like a pretty packed episode, as usual.

I

Robb, very messy. Most my non-reader friend think his story has been weak. Little feeling of the war, is he winning, loosing, what? Who is his folks? What is he up to? They also need to adress Frey deserting and Karkstark betraly (who is happening this episode, hopefully with execution). They also need some good scenes with him. Make us love him before they kill him off, please! I hope this episode is Robb heavy, atleast 7-8 minutes.

Yes, Robb needs some more screentime before the Red Wedding episode. I'm disappointed so far, I thought that S3 would contain a bit more Robb since it is his the last season anyway.

I also hope there will be some focus on Jon. While his storyline is not my favourite, I do agree that he as a character should be more fleshed out.

Did Jorah ever learn of his father's death in ASoS?

Could that "previously on..." scene be an indicator that someone will send him a message saying his father died?

I hope they have him find out, it would make up a bit for the no last words.

Agree with whoever says it might just be Barristan confronting Jorah about it, rather than Dany finding out.

I hope they have him find out, it would make up a bit for the no last words.

Agree with whoever says it might just be Barristan confronting Jorah about it, rather than Dany finding out.

No one who has the ability to send that message out will have it for quite some time. News takes a long time to travel from Beyond the Wall, let alone across the Narrow Sea. If Jorah were ever to hear about Jeor's death, realistically it wouldn't be for another season at least. Look how long it took for Dany to find out that Robert was dead...

No one who has the ability to send that message out will have it for quite some time. News takes a long time to travel from Beyond the Wall, let alone across the Narrow Sea. If Jorah were ever to hear about Jeor's death, realistically it wouldn't be for another season at least. Look how long it took for Dany to find out that Robert was dead...

I know it's not realistic, but the show could dispense with that to provide good drama. I'm not knocking the show (Littlefinger teleportation device bla bla) just saying it has other concerns.

Will Jorah kiss Dany in this episode? That's a kiss by fire, right!??!

Good point!

Cogman also just mentioned that Sansa has a somewhat 'significant' scene (conjecture on my part, as he mentions that it had to be re-written several times, which could also be an effect of removing Dontos from her story line [or re-inserting him, as D&D recently mentioned that we haven't seen the last of him]) added to this episode in editing, so we can expect some follow-up to the betrothal of Sansa & Loras.

Well I'm guessing LF quits KL Some time between Tyrion/Sansa betrothal and wedding. Bolton marches from Harrenhal to go to the RW at some point, meaning LF can go and ostensibly set up house in Harrenhal.

Once LF leaves he needs someone to be a messenger boy with Sansa, no way LF would trust Ros with that job as she's too smart for such a role, and her supposed loyalty as a Northerner isn;t strong enough for her not to betray Sansa . Dontos owes Sansa his life. I think the sequencing should re-introduce Dontos in the king's fool context (possibly at the S&T wedding), and then make contact with Sansa about getting her out of the city after that.

i hope they mention the freys this episode and how they deserted robb for marrying talisa maybe in ep 6 or ep 7 the freys can meet up with robb and propose a wedding i think it should have already been done but better late than never

i hope they mention the freys this episode and how they deserted robb for marrying talisa maybe in ep 6 or ep 7 the freys can meet up with robb and propose a wedding i think it should have already been done but better late than never

I can't remember - was there actually anything shown about the Freys' reaction to Robb marrying Talisa last season?

I can't remember - was there actually anything shown about the Freys' reaction to Robb marrying Talisa last season?

Cat said they would be mad in the last episode of season 2. We see Tywin writing letters all the time but unless you read the books you probaly do not see the signifigance of this. We are halfway into season 3 and other than Karstarks telling Robb that he lost the war when he married whats her name, it has not come up really.

I think Arya screaming will be her reaction to whatever

The Hound says after he "kills" Beric.

Yes. That's what happens in the book.

"You killed Mycah," she said once more, daring him to deny it. "Tell them. You did. You did."

"I did." His whole face twisted. "I rode him down and cut him in half, and laughed. I watched them beat your sister bloody too, watched them cut your father's head off."

Lem grabbed her wrist and twisted, wrenching the dagger away. She kicked at him, but he would not give it back. "You go to hell, Hound," she screamed at Sandor Clegane in helpless empty-handed rage. "You just go to hell!"

Archived