[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

I think it should be more disturbing that so many people found the scene to be sexually 'overtoned' (whatever that means) in the first place. If you thought that was somehow 'sexy' then you might want to pull back just a tad and think about that... implication.

Well of course her pose and the way she was dressed was sexual, I believe that was intentional, but it's a creepy sexual. Like something you'd see in some gothic painting. This is GoT, it's supposed to be twisted.

Now if you jacked off to that image that's a different story.

In the scene where we see Ros with the three arrows in her was I the only one who noticed the similarity to the Arya scene? Arya shoots the dummy in the head, breast and balls. Joffrey has shot Ros in the head, breast and where the balls would be if Ros was a man. I don't see why they would link the two apperances but did anyone else see that?

In the scene where we see Ros with the three arrows in her was I the only one who noticed the similarity to the Arya scene? Arya shoots the dummy in the head, breast and balls. Joffrey has shot Ros in the head, breast and where the balls would be if Ros was a man. I don't see why they would link the two apperances but did anyone else see that?

Ya I noticed it too. It's a visual allusion, but I don't know what the purpose is

I saw it too...I thought at first it was to draw a parallel between a straw man and a common whore - as in these things are toys for others to play with. Since the novels and show has a recurring theme of the smallfolk suffering, I took it as a King or Lord's view of how expendable these people were, like inanimate chess pieces to be moved and used for their pleasure.

It didn't show Ros being killed, this is something typical to sexual violence in the media; eg Slasher films with the female running around half naked until the killer stabs her, ect.

If we had had to watch 10-30 seconds of Ros tied up and the arrows hitting once, her breast, once her genitals, THEN I would be arguing that this scene was sexualisation of violence against a female sex worker. But as it stands, it was just a 2 second (guessing) shot of a disturbing murder.

Same thing I thought, fans ripped them for deviating from ACOK, this year they are doing a better job, as they did the first season, the best since the first season so far.

You must not be watching the same show I've been watching.

I'm not quite sure about the "male gaze," something I haven't even heard of until today, but I don't think it's a totally invalid argument. Like I mentioned earlier, I had a creepy classmate who thought she looked sexy as hell "even dead" and that he'd "fuck the shit out of her" or whatever nonsense it was.

But people like that could just be acting super creepy....it doesn't necessarily mean that it was shot with the "male gaze." What would have been a less...male gazey way to do it, exactly, Patrick? If she was totally naked with the arrows in her I think the complaint might be more meaningful, but she was just dead...just curious what made it have the "male gaze."

Theres always gonna be those assjacks who are like "hnngh that was hot lol!" but they are usually trying to be funny and over the top.

Somehow, i dont think they could have killed Ros off and shown it without some sort of a whinging backlash. Its hilarious because everyone hated her. It actually make me appreciate Ros more, if anything.

I think it should be more disturbing that so many people found the scene to be sexually 'overtoned' (whatever that means) in the first place. If you thought that was somehow 'sexy' then you might want to pull back just a tad and think about that... implication.

:) Totally, Cuz ewwwwwwww!

This x100000000000

seriously though, like i said above. if this was a live action scene lasting 10-30 seconds i'd have SUCH different opinion, but as it stands its just 2 seconds of the aftermath of a VERY disturbing murder.

poor ros.

Equivalence of "people who don't read feminist film theory" with "idiots". Zero to ad hominem in one swoop - you certainly hit the ground running.

I don't think the original statement made about Ros' death being incredibly sexualized by the "male gaze" is terribly complicated to understand. I also think that it's difficult to deny that there were sadistic sexual elements at play in the scene as Joffrey admires her mangled corpse. Personally though, I don't think mind the inclusion of the scene, as I feel that this is in no way celebrating rape culture. I feel that this in part, the beauty of Martin's work. (not that he wrote this episode) Song of Ice and Fire doesn't pull any punches about women being raped or sexually abused during this brutal historical period, which makes his strong female characters transcending these historical conditions all the more compelling.

For the people who suggested that Margaery would have to be shown or happen upon the scene in order to affect the marriage alliance.

I just wanted to put forward the thoughts I had about that.

In the connecting scene Little Finger informs Varys.

Varys know exactly who the informant is.

Varys has many of his own little birds. It would take no time to find who Ros was given to.

Varys has an already established relationship with the Queen of Thorns.

Nothing convoluted really has to happen here in order for what Joffery has done and no doubt developed a taste for. To be discovered by the Tyrells.

Not to mention that Varys is a small council member and advisor. And has in other seasons served as advisor to the previous Hands.

Varys can have all the info and be in all the right ears for this information to have an almost immediate effect on pushing multiple story lines. And it isn't outside the scope of his role.

Also adding to it is that Ros was sort after by Varys. He has a particular interest in her. He won't let this go. Not to mention this act of Joffery is a playable chip for Varys to his own ends.

At least to my mind Varys is the key.

seriously though, like i said above. if this was a live action scene lasting 10-30 seconds i'd have SUCH different opinion, but as it stands its just 2 seconds of the aftermath of a VERY disturbing murder.

poor ros.

I agree completely. In fact, I praised the decision not to feature Ros' death onscreen, as it shows that her death is merely another casualty that will soon be forgotten and swept under the carpet. The storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish, and the players keep on paddling. Ros was just another pawn in the eyes of Littlefinger, and the matter-of-fact and anti-climactic depiction of her death shows that like the smallfolk, her death won't be dwelt upon.

Archived