(Book Spoilers) Theon and the reveal

SerWest

I wasn't too fond of the TEN THOUSAND NOT-SO-SUBTLE HINTS THAT THEON AINT GOT NO DICK ANYMORE.

Jess christ that was the least subtle fucking thing ever, man.

But wow is Iwan bringing the Ramsay.

I've tried to like his portrayal of Ramsey, I can see he's a good actor, but the crazed boyish jokester edge just doesn't work for me.

I've tried to like his portrayal of Ramsey, I can see he's a good actor, but the crazed boyish jokester edge just doesn't work for me.

I don't like how they're making it seem almost sexual. And there are aspects of his portrayal that are quite jarring to me, but I'm waiting to see where it's going. He's certainly bringing the grotesque factor, no one can complain about him being too handsome anymore.

Way off topic, but does this happen to anyone else? Seems this message board needs a new server:

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#2001]

Sorry, the server is too busy to handle your request, please try again in a moment

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1390539004

Varnish cache server

Happening for me today more so than last week, but last HBO season was the worst of all. NOT the fault of Westeros.org, however. Not only have they done an unbelievable job at developing and manning this entire website for years, they have also pulled no stops in getting the server problems 'fixed'/ updated as quickly as humanly (and financially) possible. The worldwide demand on this server/website is inestimable. But this year, when I just exit out and re-enter, it will usually let me back in. Not always, like right after the show or the next day, but often as not it will.

I don't like how they're making it seem almost sexual. And there are aspects of his portrayal that are quite jarring to me, but I'm waiting to see where it's going. He's certainly bringing the grotesque factor, no one can complain about him being too handsome anymore.

I think they are making it sexual, but for GOT its subtle, I guess you could assume that when you sexually mutilate someone and do the other things that were done to Theon in the book, there is probably a sexual element...but these segments have veered too close to titilation in many respects already, and an underlying homoerotic torture vibe is really not needed, at all.

Yeah, it is jarring, maybe its supposed to be, but I dunno, the character interpretation so far isn't working for me, possibly I prefer my sadistic torturers grim instead of jolly, who knows.

I think they are making it sexual, but for GOT its subtle, I guess you could assume that when you sexually mutilate someone and do the other things that were done to Theon in the book, there is probably a sexual element...but these segments have veered too close to titilation in many respects already, and an underlying homoerotic torture vibe is really not needed, at all.

Yeah, it is jarring, maybe its supposed to be, but I dunno, the character interpretation so far isn't working for me, possibly I prefer my sadistic torturers grim instead of jolly, who knows.

I'm really not liking that either, i'm sure others already thought this when reading and I don't look down on anyone's interpretation but I really don't like it at all. I think it's so much scarier and horrific and creepy for there to just be absolutely no sexual element considering some of the things Ramsay does. It's much more frightening.

I can understand where the Joker-ish interpretation comes from, Ramsay is probably the closest to Chaotic Evil and even then, that system is far too simplistic for ASOIAF.

However, I always felt he was more sinister, much more sinister. I was a little champion for Iwan to begin with LOL, but I'm not so sure now.

He's bringing the Ramsay, like I said, but is it the interpretation of Ramsay that you agree with, perhaps not. I am still deciding.

But, back on topic, I was pleased with the Ramsay reveal. I've been so put out and disgruntled all season with this whole Boy/Theon thing, protesting over and over because we don't really see this whole tortured Theon/Reek dynamic until ADWD.

After last night's episode, though, I don't think it was a bad move at all. It ties back to what Robb had said earlier about sparing any Ironborn that bent the knee (though it doesn't sound like they did that, based on Ramsay's letter to Balon Greyjoy) but holding Theon as a prisoner (or worse, I can't remember the exact words, only that the intent was that it would be very, very bad for Theon), and I'm not sure I'd made that connection consciously before. For one thing, there was such a huge time and event lapse between Book 1 and Book 5. I also thought it helped "flesh out" :lol: TV Roose's character (more chilling than in the book, I thought) and that it was a good lead back to the Greyjoys, who've almost been forgotten at this point.

(BTW, I thought the 'Theon' part sent to Greyjoy in a box and the differing reactions of Balon and Asha/Yara to it was good -- I've never particularly liked Asha but I wanted to cheer her last night.

Hmm, I am not sure I am really getting a sexual vibe myself. I mean he is mocking his loss of manhood, but that seems more just to be mentally cruel than anything. If its the touching your talking about, it seemed more of a way to strike fear into him. Now Theon winces in terror the moment Ramsay heads toward him. I guess we all interpert things like that in are own way, but for me it really didn't feel sexual. Defintely no more than in the book when Ramsay told theon to get his bride wet for him.

I like Iwans portrayl and I think he has done a great job with what he as bee given. I hope that the onscreen torture is done for the most part now as I feel they have set things up enough not to have to show him loosing more fingers, toes etc.. I think from the set up that's the direction they are going to, and maybe giving Ramsay something to do with Yara. Which personally I am excited for. I thought the Ramsay reveal was well done, and worked better than just having Ramsay tell Theon who he was. I am glad they kept Reek in the story to, since I honestly thought they just wouldn't include that element.

I still think the whole secrecy about Ramsey's identity ended up being a non event. Did any critics even write about it...after all that silliness HBO went through?

It easily could have been revealed 2 or 3 episodes ago or even at the outset and would not have made a difference to the RW story.

I still think the whole secrecy about Ramsey's identity ended up being a non event. Did any critics even write about it...after all that silliness HBO went through?

It easily could have been revealed 2 or 3 episodes ago or even at the outset and would not have made a difference to the RW story.

Almost every review I read throughout the season placed a lot of emphasis on who was torturing Theon. A lot of people thought it had something to do with someone doing it to get back at Theon for what he did to the Starks. I imagine if you thought it was something along those lines, finding out he is just a psycho who happens to be the bastard of Roose would be a bit of a let down. I am glad they just finally revealed it , and I think the way they did it worked well. However, the show made it seem like it would be a more important reveal that what it turned out to be. Most reviews for the finale seemed to be a bit let down by the reveal.

I think from the set up that's the direction they are going to, and maybe giving Ramsay something to do with Yara. Which personally I am excited for.

I think Yara will somehow end up linked to the Rickon storyline.

I don't think the sexual element of the torture is remotely homoerotic or titillating, it's pure sadism and very disturbing to me. I find his glee in torturing Theon far more effectively horrifying than someone stone cold would be, and I've found every scene appropriately disturbing and not remotely glamorous or anything like that.

Hmm, I am not sure I am really getting a sexual vibe myself. I mean he is mocking his loss of manhood, but that seems more just to be mentally cruel than anything. If its the touching your talking about, it seemed more of a way to strike fear into him. Now Theon winces in terror the moment Ramsay heads toward him. I guess we all interpert things like that in are own way, but for me it really didn't feel sexual. Defintely no more than in the book when Ramsay told theon to get his bride wet for him.

Idk Khaleesi, I rewatched the episode today, and at one point Ramsay was leaning in and I thought he was going to start kissing Theon's neck, lol.

I'm definitely seeing the sexual element creep in.

http://www.bohomoth.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/maxresdefault1-1024x576.jpg

Why the hell did Roose call him Ram-ZEE? He's Ram-SAY for god's sake. Ramzee sounds like a stupid kid's name.

If they couldn't even get his name right, no wonder they screwed over so much of his story and character. Yeah, Ivan Rheon is cool and makes a very original character, but miles away from Book!Ramsay. And the Reek scene happened way too fast. I mean, one moment you have the "brutally tortured" Theon (haven't seen any torture except a finger cut) pleading to be killed, and literally three seconds and two punches later that same Theon is begging for his life and calling himself "Reek".

Really, instead of stretching this stuff over four episodes, they should have simply had one episode focus on Theon/Ramsay, get the plot points right, follow the book, and really dwell into the making of Reek. That would've had an impact. Now it's just a series of stand-up jokes from the black humour duo. Funny, yes; entertaining, yes; chilling to the bone in an awesome way? ...no.

A simple way to do it would have been to not make Theon stop saying his name at the second time he's punched. I mean, the guy's just got his junk cut off, he wishes to die, what would a few punches matter? If anything, Theon could be attempting to goad Ramsay into killing him, by deliberately refusing to become Reek. He would be hoping that Ramsay would get mad and just snuff him, thus ending the torment. But instead, the Bastard would start flaying and cutting off his fingers and toes, one by one. That could convince Theon into becoming Reek. As it stands now, Theon looks like a wimp and Ramsay a malicious clown.

Book Ramsay was big boned/imposing, menacing, totally ugly (not a pretty boy) and a completely fucked up sadistic lunatic, whereas show Ramsay, specifically the torture scenes, have a bit of an element of camp to them.

Yeah pretty much. Just one point though: Book Ramsay wasn't necessarily ugly. He's described in an unsympathetic way (naturally, since he's a despicable villain), but it doesn't preclude him being played by someone like Rheon (who's not exactly a poster boy himself in the series). Actually Rheon was a pretty good choice as an actor, most of the problems lie with the overall script/reworked plot.

Idk Khaleesi, I rewatched the episode today, and at one point Ramsay was leaning in and I thought he was going to start kissing Theon's neck, lol.

I'm definitely seeing the sexual element creep in.

http://www.bohomoth....t1-1024x576.jpg

Well after rewatching the episode I can kind of see where your coming from. This is the first episode I have noticed it at all though, and even then I am not sure if that's what they where going for. It may be just him trying to intimidate Theon. it seemed more like he was mocking him as nothing more than a meat sack that "reeked". I can see where your coming from though, and I would hate it if they ever really brought that element into their relationship

Archived