Exercise and Fitness II: Exerciser and Fitnesser

Inigima

Terrific, good for you! Wasn't your goal going sub 2hrs?

As an aside, I've just switched my race running shoes from Mizuno Elixir to the Hoka Bondi B. Anyone familiar with Hokas? While they may be the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned they're also the ugliest.

yeah, my goal was to run it under 2 hours but i have a tendency to do better than expected, at least when i'm not pushing for the personal best or anything like that.

i haven't even heard of hokas until now and was about to say that most running shoes are rather ugly but then i google searched them.

you're right, those might actually be the ugliest ones out there :)

So, taking a leaf out of Inigma's book and following on from my "help me find a new sport" thread, I've signed up at a climbing gym. I'm enjoying it so far but I have a definite tendency to just muscle through it when I start to struggle, which obviously only gets me so far and is very tiring. I'll definitely sign up for some coaching to start nailing some technique. Since I don't have a regular partner I'm mostly bouldering and doing a bit on the auto-belay right now.

Wish you were here. I could use a regular partner. I'm obviously a scrub but the big points of advice I was given were:

- Use your toes. It gives you more power. Don't use the edge of your foot if you don't have to, it's a crutch.

- You want to power yourself upward with your legs, not by pulling yourself with your arms, whenever possible.

- Related: Try to keep your arms straight when you can (not hanging from them though -- you want your weight on your legs). Having your arms curled up near your body generally means you're using them to hold yourself, as opposed to using them to stabilize yourself. You will tire yourself out by doing this.

I think bouldering usually relies a bit more on upper body strength but I'm not sure. I might take an intro bouldering course, it looks fun but daunting.

Wish you were here. I could use a regular partner. I'm obviously a scrub but the big points of advice I was given were:

- Use your toes. It gives you more power. Don't use the edge of your foot if you don't have to, it's a crutch.

- You want to power yourself upward with your legs, not by pulling yourself with your arms, whenever possible.

- Related: Try to keep your arms straight when you can (not hanging from them though -- you want your weight on your legs). Having your arms curled up near your body generally means you're using them to hold yourself, as opposed to using them to stabilize yourself. You will tire yourself out by doing this.

I think bouldering usually relies a bit more on upper body strength but I'm not sure. I might take an intro bouldering course, it looks fun but daunting.

Yep that's very close to what they told me when I was getting my induction. Unfortunately I've realised that knowing the theory and putting it into practise are very different things.:P

you are aware of the importance of rest days, aren't you?

Of course, and Insanity already factors in all of that. This is why on the fourth day of every week is an "easy" day called Cardio Recovery (consisting mostly of yoga stretches and a few deep muscle workouts), and the last day of every week is completely exercise free.

rest days and rest breaks are built into the program to allow for recovery - Insanity is targeted though as a very intense, very short break series.

Something tells me I am following in someone's footsteps ;)

Insanity, week 3 day 6, Plyometric Cardio Circuit Cardio Power & Resistance:

My legs felt like lead. Did manage to take only one extra break though during the entire routine. Setting a goal of zero extra break next time.

Tomorrow: MAX REST!

I begin the gym tomorrow. I have more than 6 months without working out! I'm excited but at the same time scared! I just wish my body adjusts to the new rutine quick so I won't feel lazy or anything like that!

How do you guys keep yourself motivated?? I begin with all the excitement but then after some months I want to stop! :/

Commit to both a group/partner and a goal. If you don't like working out with anyone else, give yourself a set time - 8 pm on Tuesday and Thursday - instead of "sometime after dinner a few days a week".

Of course, and Insanity already factors in all of that. This is why on the fourth day of every week is an "easy" day called Cardio Recovery (consisting mostly of yoga stretches and a few deep muscle workouts), and the last day of every week is completely exercise free.

i'm not familiar with this insanity program and i saw you posting workouts (what seemed to me as) every day so i figured i should ask ;)

Lol. If some jackass were to boast every day about how much exercises he supposedly did while at the same time complaining about how tired he felt afterwards, I would probably tell him to go take a hike as well.

So I went onto Amazon yesterday to buy a treadmill. All of the treadmills have a cut off weight of 90kg. Is it just me or is that a bit small or is there a massive conspiracy against fat people losing weight. I`m about 93kg, but I`m not particularly fat and yet I can`t buy a treadmill.

For those who would say I can run outside: Not in the Japanese summer I cannot.

So I went onto Amazon yesterday to buy a treadmill. All of the treadmills have a cut off weight of 90kg. Is it just me or is that a bit small or is there a massive conspiracy against fat people losing weight. I`m about 93kg, but I`m not particularly fat and yet I can`t buy a treadmill.

For those who would say I can run outside: Not in the Japanese summer I cannot.

A. I'd bet that 3 kg isn't going to destroy the thing. That said,

B. The brand "Sole" on Amazon seems to have models with up to 400 lb (180 kg) limits. I checked a couple others and saw weight limits above 100 kg.

C. I've heard Japanese summer is like Korean summer and if so, Yes, running outside is basically a non-option. It slays me and I go into reverse-hibernation.

A. I'd bet that 3 kg isn't going to destroy the thing. That said,

B. The brand "Sole" on Amazon seems to have models with up to 400 lb (180 kg) limits. I checked a couple others and saw weight limits above 100 kg.

C. I've heard Japanese summer is like Korean summer and if so, Yes, running outside is basically a non-option. It slays me and I go into reverse-hibernation.

My main problem is I don`t have a credit card and don`t want to spend upwards of 800 dollars on one. So I`m confined to the Japanese Amazon site. And considering Japanese people tend to much smaller than caucasian folk the limit for their equipment tends to be much lower! (I can hear my weighing scales creak when I use it...) I`ll check to see if I can find any "Sole" brands though, thanks!

You`re right about 3kg probably not making a big difference. I`ll see!

I`m not sure what Korean summers are like but, at least in Tokyo, it is hot (30+ ~ 35+) and very humid. Coming from Ireland myself it`s not a climate I`ll ever be able to adjust to I think! Ah well!

My main problem is I don`t have a credit card and don`t want to spend upwards of 800 dollars on one. So I`m confined to the Japanese Amazon site. And considering Japanese people tend to much smaller than caucasian folk the limit for their equipment tends to be much lower! (I can hear my weighing scales creak when I use it...) I`ll check to see if I can find any "Sole" brands though, thanks!

You`re right about 3kg probably not making a big difference. I`ll see!

I`m not sure what Korean summers are like but, at least in Tokyo, it is hot (30+ ~ 35+) and very humid. Coming from Ireland myself it`s not a climate I`ll ever be able to adjust to I think! Ah well!

Ah, well the models I was looking at were considerably more expensive than that. I should have figured that one out on my own. Not a smart panda. And yah, that sounds like Seoul. And my near-arctic upbringing has not made me well-adjusted to this kind of heat/humidity. Beastly weather, it is. And when I run in it, I feel super gross compared to the well-adjusted, far-less-sweating local folk.

Archived