Exercise and Fitness II: Exerciser and Fitnesser

Inigima

Ah, well the models I was looking at were considerably more expensive than that. I should have figured that one out on my own. Not a smart panda. And yah, that sounds like Seoul. And my near-arctic upbringing has not made me well-adjusted to this kind of heat/humidity. Beastly weather, it is. And when I run in it, I feel super gross compared to the well-adjusted, far-less-sweating local folk.

Yeah, I may have to just bite the bullet and get a semi-decent model. Alot of the cheap ones only go from 5-8km/h an hour too. That`s not even a jog.

Truth on the weather. Hell, I can`t take the 2 minute talk to the shop without getting caked in sweat. The strange looks I get for wearing a t-shirt and shorts while people are walking around in their coats is also quite hilarious. 20 degrees is not cold folks, it`s a lovely summer`s afternoon it is.

Yeah, I may have to just bite the bullet and get a semi-decent model. Alot of the cheap ones only go from 5-8km/h an hour too. That`s not even a jog.

Truth on the weather. Hell, I can`t take the 2 minute talk to the shop without getting caked in sweat. The strange looks I get for wearing a t-shirt and shorts while people are walking around in their coats is also quite hilarious. 20 degrees is not cold folks, it`s a lovely summer`s afternoon it is.

Nice to have a fellow-sufferer. :cheers: I've considered getting a gym membership, but they always have those way hotter than I want, too. I get that I am the freak here, that it's me with the problem and all that. After taking taekwondo for a year and just dripping sweat while everyone else was mostly dry-backed/browed, I just can't go back to those looks. I bought some free-weights this week and continue trying to make myself slog through the 30+ humid soup air in order to just maintain some semblance of health until the weather cools.

Nice to have a fellow-sufferer. :cheers: I've considered getting a gym membership, but they always have those way hotter than I want, too. I get that I am the freak here, that it's me with the problem and all that. After taking taekwondo for a year and just dripping sweat while everyone else was mostly dry-backed/browed, I just can't go back to those looks. I bought some free-weights this week and continue trying to make myself slog through the 30+ humid soup air in order to just maintain some semblance of health until the weather cools.

Yeah, I`ve no intention in joining a gym here. First, way too expensive (but then again everything in Tokyo is: Hello 6 dollar not even a pint of beer), and secondly I`ve heard/read from numerous sources that they haven`t got a clue how to use equipment properly and have a penchant for telling you (who is using it correctly and knows) that you should do it some absurd way that will most likely only injure you. No thanks. Plus, much like your Taekwondo experiences, the staring would not be something I could endure for too long. It`s just offputting.

Might get some free weights, or just start doing some weightless core exercises and actually stick with them this time.

I should be clear - it's only the disgusted stares that bother me (because of my sweating), those make me self-conscious and sad. The general Tall White Guy stares are no problem. I got used to them in the (nude) public baths and at races - that's just general surprise and/or curiosity.

I should be clear - it's only the disgusted stares that bother me (because of my sweating), those make me self-conscious and sad. The general Tall White Guy stares are no problem. I got used to them in the (nude) public baths and at races - that's just general surprise and/or curiosity.

Oh I gathered as much. I`ve grown accustomed to and somewhat enjoy the "What IS he doing here?" curiosity stares. But like yourself, staring at me cause I`m sweaty and smell would make me incredibly self-conscious. Another reason I`d like to avoid street-running.

I`d be curious to see if there`s much difference in how Korean and Japanese people perceive Western (assuming you are) folk. There is a much larger amount of openly racist people here than I ever could`ve imagined. But that`s for another thread.

You could swim..That's what I do,Run for 1/2 hour,Swim for 1 hour and then press ups and Pull ups.

I could and I do. It's just that the pool I frequent (indoor, on campus, at work) is closed for renovation this summer.

On the upside, planks are getting easier so Ill have to add a bit of difficulty and foot hasn't bothered me in days. (Of course now I'll probably be in the couch with ice and naproxen all weekend!)

After another bout of health issues, I am back to running and it feels sooo good.

For you paleo/gluten free people, what are some good options for pre-workout snacks? I got a diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis last week and am doing the Specific Carb. Diet which eliminates all breads, grains/potatoes/starches, and sugar.

Insanity, week 4! day 1, Pure Cardio + Cardio Abs:

Pure Cardio: took two extra breaks; the routine is getting easier, and I am able to push myself harder.

Cardio Abs: took 4 extra breaks; paralyzing soreness at the end; it was awesome!

Tomorrow: Cardio Power & Resistance.

Rock climbing Wednesday. Good climbs, still a bit sore. Have to make a decision going forward: annual membership, or 7-day passes? I want to climb often enough to make the membership worth it, but I still don't have super-regular partners.

Finished Week 2 of Couch to 5K this morning. Was actually pretty easy, and my ankles didn't hurt after, so progress.

After another bout of health issues, I am back to running and it feels sooo good.

For you paleo/gluten free people, what are some good options for pre-workout snacks? I got a diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis last week and am doing the Specific Carb. Diet which eliminates all breads, grains/potatoes/starches, and sugar.

Oh, sweetie, I feel for you. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :frown5: :bawl: :crying:

First vegetarian, and now this? You are going to kill Mr. ES. :stunned:

I hope the diet makes you feel better.

Is fruit OK? I think that apple slices and peanut butter are a great pre-workout snack. Some peanut butters on the shelves are probably crap and have lots of added sugar, but it's getting easier and easier to find brands that are pretty much straight peanuts and much healthier.

Finished Week 2 of Couch to 5K this morning. Was actually pretty easy, and my ankles didn't hurt after, so progress.

As Ini knows, I have just finished Week 8 of the Couch to 5K program. :)

I can't believe I have survived! I am impressed with the program, so if anyone else wants to start running, I highly recommend it.

The sessions always start and end with a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down walk. Today my combined time of 45 minutes saw me do 5.55k. It's very hot and humid, and I am just a wee bit older than all of you, so I did not actually run 5k in the 35 minute running segment, I ran about 4.6 k, but I figure as I keep running my speed will pick up and I will be running 5k in 35 minutes very soon. I am just stunned that I have gone from being winded running for 2 minutes to being able to run (albeit damn slowly) for 35 minutes. Years ago I speed walked and I'm pretty sure speed walking me would easily beat jogging me, but I expect to get faster in my runs as I build up my endurance. :)

That is awesome, FB. :cheers: Keep it up!

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. :) My friends all have bad knees so no one runs with me. There is a running club that runs out of the Y for an hour every Tuesday and Thursday, but I suspect they are much better then me. Maybe by the fall I can join them. Problem is, they run from 5.30 to 6.30. On the other hand, I rather like the solitary running right now.

Well done FB! It's a satisfying feeling isnt it?

Looking back over the thread its nice to read the various approaches people have to getting active, and keeping active.

I saw Baxus post his result from his half marathon which was quite impressive. Waiting on Race to confirm how his Warrior Dash went. A buddy & I did one of these back in April and it was a lot of fun, particularly the climb over a small mountainside to start off the course.

This will please Baxus - a couple weeks ago I was away for work staying at a hotel next to the airport with not much in surroundings to enjoy running. Having not used any gym equipment for over 10 months I checked the hotel's fitness facilities out of curiosity and not expecting much. Lo & behold in the corner I found an erg, a Concept 2 no less. Warmed up, then hopped straight onto it for a session. I was soon stuffed, exhausted. Awesome workout. If ever I build my own home gym this would be the one exercise machine I'd get. Rowing is great.

Having some problems with my swimming so hope to post some questions for the board later.

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. :) My friends all have bad knees so no one runs with me. There is a running club that runs out of the Y for an hour every Tuesday and Thursday, but I suspect they are much better then me. Maybe by the fall I can join them. Problem is, they run from 5.30 to 6.30. On the other hand, I rather like the solitary running right now.

I prefer to run by myself. Running is my best solitude/thinking/zoning out time!

I prefer to run by myself. Running is my best solitude/thinking/zoning out time!

This. So much this. I ran with a group during uni and it was fun, but it wasn't as emotionally relaxing as running solo. I will admit, those f*ckers made me a way better runner, though.

Temp was only 27C this morning, so I turned in a run of just over an hour. Longest run since summer hit. I hate thinking "oh wow, only 27C!" but there it is.

Is fruit OK? I think that apple slices and peanut butter are a great pre-workout snack. Some peanut butters on the shelves are probably crap and have lots of added sugar, but it's getting easier and easier to find brands that are pretty much straight peanuts and much healthier.

ES: I am so sorry! Hope you get it worked out soon.

I thought peanut butter wassn't paleo? But what do I know? Anyway, peanut butter and apple is my new favorite food! My children and I are fighting over apples these days. We eat Teddie Peanut Butter. You have to stir it, but it's really good.

FB: Congrats on the running!

Where are the cyclists at? I'll try not to get on my advocacy high horse about how the bike is a panacea for all kinds of personal and societal ills, but biking is a great fitness tool.

I recently rode a 40 mile ride for a favorite organization, and goddamm can I tell you it was humbling, but still a shit load of fun, and I'm thinking of doing it again on my own soon (maybe after a little training, and maybe easing up on the smoking a bit...)

Archived