Exercise and Fitness II: Exerciser and Fitnesser

Inigima

Learned my lesson from yesterday and started my run earlier today, 9:30 am. Didn't check the temps before I went out, but I did remember to slather on sunscreen this time. It felt cool-ish as I left the side streets for the river, and I felt like yesterday really took it out of me and I was really sweating. Couldn't figure it out, it shouldn't have been so hard. When I got home 45 minutes later, I check the weather, it's 30C, heat index 35C. And I finally understood.

Congrats Fragile Bird on finishing couch 2 5K! I just printed that schedule up for my dad who hasn't run in years. He's been speedwalking with stairs, crossovers, and some jogging. I ran 30 minutes today around the park. First runners high I got since I started back and had to make myself stop. I was so happy to get it back. Now my legs, hips and heinie hurt like all get out. I'm playing softball tomorrow. That should be interesting...

Hiked Mt Massive yesterday (14421, 13.5 mi) - every time I looked around the tree line was so far down but the top was so far away. Not technical at all though, basically just a long steep walk. Got a late start and didn't make great time, but weather stayed good.

Haven't felt great since having to be hospitalized for exhaustion after a bike ride a few weeks ago.

It's funny how on rest days, I get so antsy and want to workout, and then the day after rest days I feel very lazy and it is hard to convince myself to jump back in!

Haven't felt great since having to be hospitalized for exhaustion after a bike ride a few weeks ago.

:grouphug: Hope you feel better soon!

I'm going for a thirty pound weight drop--it's the most I will have dropped in recent years as I've mostly fluctuated between 195 to 215. I'm 215 now, and want to get down to 185 and reassess my goals from there. Last year I dropped 15 pounds to 200 by just doing the whole "no meat" thing. When I fell off that diet I put the weight back on.

So I'm going to go back to the diet, leafy greens, mostly vegetarian, though I'm thinking about the bulletproof coffee, as Joe Rogan won't shut up about it on his podcast, dude is huge must work. In addition I've gotten back into lifting--5 days a week, 45 minutes to an hour. I'm doing a program that focuses on specific body parts each day and I'm sore as shit. I like that the program is all barbell/dumbbell based as I hate machines. Hardest has been lower body--squats and lunges specifically. I just do the barbell right now for lunges, and I have a hard time. I feel like such a puss when people all around me are doing more, but oh well. I'm 34 now, I guess I can't just jump in full steam anymore. I'm doing low weight as I try to get the form right.

My big thing is a lack of energy/desire. I heard maca root might help with that but my doctor was kind of like "eh, I don't know, you're just getting older, get used to it". Fucking doctors. Edit: So does anyone know anything about maca root? Any personal experiences? I was going to try that hemp protein that has maca in it (again, Joe Rogan loves that shit), but it is 50 bucks for 10 servings. I'm a teacher, so...no.

So I'm going to go back to the diet, leafy greens, mostly vegetarian, though I'm thinking about the bulletproof coffee, as Joe Rogan won't shut up about it on his podcast, dude is huge must work.

[snip]

My big thing is a lack of energy/desire. I heard maca root might help with that but my doctor was kind of like "eh, I don't know, you're just getting older, get used to it". Fucking doctors. Edit: So does anyone know anything about maca root? Any personal experiences? I was going to try that hemp protein that has maca in it (again, Joe Rogan loves that shit), but it is 50 bucks for 10 servings. I'm a teacher, so...no.

I've heard a couple of recommendations for this bulletproof coffee thing and I thought it looked kinda interesting so I had a look. TBH I'm not really convinced. I'm generally pretty wary of any branded diet/health plans and lifestyle gurus in general. Same thing with maca. I'd be skeptical in general about any "magic bullet" dietary supplements.

Yeah I don't think maca is a magic bullet, but people say it can help with things like energy, etc. I'm on an antidepressant that has lowered my energy level.

If you are lifting again but not eating meat how are you getting in your protein Simon?

I am eating meat this time, but if you balance the diet right you can get plenty of protein without meat. Protein supplements aside, plant life has plenty of protein if you mix the right ones. But I'm eating just a bit of meat--mostly chicken, boiled egg, protein supplement, etc.

It's funny how on rest days, I get so antsy and want to workout, and then the day after rest days I feel very lazy and it is hard to convince myself to jump back in!

Always this! I have fixed the problem by having zero rest days!

I did this today

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152962891555123&notif_t=like

Numbers are moving back in the right direction after some trouble with injuries.

Waiting on Race to confirm how his Warrior Dash went. A buddy & I did one of these back in April and it was a lot of fun, particularly the climb over a small mountainside to start off the course.

Warrior Dash went well all things considered. Same course that Ixodes and I ran last year, but reversed. Temperatures were much more mild and the humidity wasn't bad. I finished in like 40:21 or something like that. Not great, but not bad. I ran the first hill, but walked up the others. The course is up a ski hill, so its a tough one. I killed my legs on the downhills though. I was sore for days after.

This weekend i'm doing Run for your Lives, its a zombie themed run. I'm not actually running the race, but I am a chaser zombie. should be a blast. The 21st is the date I'm dreading. That's Tough Mudder. 5k obstacle course... no problem. 12 mile???? Am I nuts? I hope I can finish.

Broke the 10 pound line for real. Good shit. Turns out cooking all your own food isn't just way cheaper, it's way better for you. Who knew? (Everyone. I know. Shut up.)

Still desperately need a regular climbing partner.

Broke the 10 pound line for real. Good shit. Turns out cooking all your own food isn't just way cheaper, it's way better for you. Who knew? (Everyone. I know. Shut up.)

Hey, where are you living? I have a friend in Baltimore that might want to give climbing a shot. I am not sure she would go for it, but maybe?

Warrior Dash went well all things considered. Same course that Ixodes and I ran last year, but reversed. Temperatures were much more mild and the humidity wasn't bad. I finished in like 40:21 or something like that. Not great, but not bad. I ran the first hill, but walked up the others. The course is up a ski hill, so its a tough one. I killed my legs on the downhills though. I was sore for days after.

Good time, I came in over 10mins later than that having lost several minutes coaching some teenagers over a wall descent - room for 4 at a time on the obstacle but was behind a group who all baulked at the top.

This weekend i'm doing Run for your Lives, its a zombie themed run. I'm not actually running the race, but I am a chaser zombie. should be a blast. The 21st is the date I'm dreading. That's Tough Mudder. 5k obstacle course... no problem. 12 mile???? Am I nuts? I hope I can finish.

Haha, nice. Which zombie school will you be from; fast zombie or slow and steady zombie? On the Tough Mudder, apparently you're no more nuts than I am. Friends & I have been considering doing a Tough Mudder in Aus later this year. Should probably start training for this.

Week 3 of Couch to 5K isn't too bad, but the route I generally run puts the running segments on the hardest uphill bits :(

Hills, you either love 'em or hate 'em :) Love them when walking or hiking. Starting to love them in my running. Still hate them when cycling, the burns!

Awesome on all accounts. You are inspiring me :)

Week 3 of Couch to 5K isn't too bad, but the route I generally run puts the running segments on the hardest uphill bits :(

I cheat on the uphill runs. Just can't seem to manage them yet.

Congrats on the 10 pounds!

Swimming. I enjoy swimming at the pool but am having trouble swimming continuously beyond a couple lengths. Doesn't help my confidence that I've been humbled by some young'uns - the lanes are wide enough that they're shared, and I was happily swimming along one side of my lane when someone small swam past me, with considerable grace and ease I might add. Then the little someone passed me going the other way and then, oh the damage to my ego that day, caught up to me when I got to the end of the pool. Reminded me of my little neice and my friend's kids who taken to water like fish. Anyway it turned out there were two sisters sharing the lane with me.

Edit: actually now that I think back, I'm sure there were three sisters :)

Archived