NFL Thread: Arrest Season Continues

sperry

Sorry to burst your bubble but the best the Cowboys will do this season is third in the NFC East. The only real challenge for the Redskins to repeat as NFC East Champs is the G-men. The Eagles don't matter and Romo always chokes in the big games.

Your confidence makes me incredibly uncomfortable. And maybe you've been watching a different Romo than me, but he is unreliable to Cowboys and Redskins fans both. Sometimes he'll throw three interceptions the hand the Redskins the NFC East crown, and sometimes he throws the decisive 4th and 15 pass to rip your heart out on national television.

And the Giants are probably going to be better this year, that sounds like something they'd do.

I will also say that as a Skins fan, I feel like there are a lot of people who have this attitude that "we had so many injuries last year, surely injuries won't be as big a problem this year". But several of our best players at this point HAVE to be considered injury prone or have ongoing injury concerns going into the season (notably, Griffin, Orakpo and less importantly Carriker, Merriweather and Garcon). Things were rough last year, particularly on defense, but they are one RG3 injury from being worse. I don't know if my stomach can take another round of Griffin limping back onto the field again.

Your confidence makes me incredibly uncomfortable. And maybe you've been watching a different Romo than me, but he is unreliable to Cowboys and Redskins fans both. Sometimes he'll throw three interceptions the hand the Redskins the NFC East crown, and sometimes he throws the decisive 4th and 15 pass to rip your heart out on national television.

And the Giants are probably going to be better this year, that sounds like something they'd do.

I will also say that as a Skins fan, I feel like there are a lot of people who have this attitude that "we had so many injuries last year, surely injuries won't be as big a problem this year". But several of our best players at this point HAVE to be considered injury prone or have ongoing injury concerns going into the season (notably, Griffin, Orakpo and less importantly Carriker, Merriweather and Garcon). Things were rough last year, particularly on defense, but they are one RG3 injury from being worse. I don't know if my stomach can take another round of Griffin limping back onto the field again.

Show me a time when Romo hasn't choked during a big game and then maybe my confidence will be shaken. Don't worry so much about injuries. As you stated we had those injuries last year and still swept the Cowboys and won the Division. The Skins will only get better.

Show me a time when Romo hasn't choked during a big game and then maybe my confidence will be shaken. Don't worry so much about injuries. As you stated we had those injuries last year and still swept the Cowboys and won the Division. The Skins will only get better.

There are plenty of examples, but I'm sure you'll brush them off with "that doesn't count as a big game", or "he should have kept the nickelback from biting on the double move."

I'll still call it Eli Stadium.

I'll never forget watching Eli and Todd Collins combine for something like 100 yards in the air in 2007 (I think!) in the old Meadowlands stadium during a SNF Redskins-Giants matchup. I didn't understand how a player could perform so poorly in his team's stadium, then the Jerry Dome was built, and Eli finally had a home.

Skins are a big threat because of RG3 and Alfred Morris but there are a few reasons I don't think Skins will be as successful as last year.

- The NFL adjusts to "new" schemes pretty quickly. Redskins aren't gonna sneak up on anyone this year. Good teams will be ready for all the playactions and read options etc.

- They have a 1st place schedule. Games they have that nobody else in the east has...@GB, SF and @ATL.

- RG3's injury(obviously). I think he'll be ready and be a stud but who knows if he'll be as aggresive as last year?

- Their defense is pretty bad. Skins pass defense was horrible and the 2nd game against Giants still haunts me. 250 passing yards in the 1st half and Gilbride decides to try and run more in the 2nd half...brilliant.

I'm a Giants fan and obviously biased but it's not as easy as some think. Injuries affect every team and brutal schedules can cripple a year.

Really hoping Sam Bradford has a breakout year this year. He's been working with some of the worst offensive talent in the past 20 years of the NFL, and still put up respectable numbers. I think he'll have a decent year this year, and shudder to think of the numbers he'd put up if he was throwing to Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony Gonzalez. He's still the best passing QB I've ever seen in college football.

Because Steven Jackson hasn't been a top-5 RB for his entire career... I get what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree, but give S-Jax his due. I could give two shits about the Rams, but that's one hell of a football player to neglect.

49ers CB Tarell Brown learned via Twitter that his agent cost him $2 million.

He is slated to earn $2.95 million this year. $2 million of that was slated to come as a bonus for attending "voluntary" OTAs. He didn't show. His agent didn't tell him of the clause. He fired his agent. :lol:

Serves him right! Secondary wasn't exactly the Niners' strength and they have done everything they can to get better by bringing in Asomugha and trading (and then revoking that trade a week later) Eric Wright. Dude should have been at OTAs anyways.

He is slated to earn $2.95 million this year. $2 million of that was slated to come as a bonus for attending "voluntary" OTAs. He didn't show. His agent didn't tell him of the clause. He fired his agent. :lol:

Serves him right! Secondary wasn't exactly the Niners' strength and they have done everything they can to get better by bringing in Asomugha and trading (and then revoking that trade a week later) Eric Wright. Dude should have been at OTAs anyways.

It's true he should have been at OTAs, but there is "OTAs are a priority" and then there's "OTA attendance will make me $2 million dollars" kind of priority. He could have had a pretty good reason for missing it that still isn't worth $2 million dollars.

I generally don't feel that bad for pro athletes when they lose part of their salary, but that's a damn big hit to take. Over two-thirds of your yearly salary for not attending OTAs? Brutal.

It's true he should have been at OTAs, but there is "OTAs are a priority" and then there's "OTA attendance will make me $2 million dollars" kind of priority. He could have had a pretty good reason for missing it that still isn't worth $2 million dollars.

Well, and that's why he fired his agent. He says that its the agent's job to point out clauses and bonuses you can reach and things of that nature. I'd say that's probably pretty accurate, although I'd think that'd be a pretty significant thing that I'd try to be aware of for myself.

Out of curiosity, don't suppose you have any idea what this does to his cap number do you? Since the $2 million was bonus money, I'm not sure how it applied to the cap (I figure its in there somehow). So if you don't get the money, how does that apply?

Bengals started training camp yesterday and already had a major scare with AJ Green going down awkwardly on a deep pass. He was down on the ground for 3 minutes but ended up walking off on his own power and MRI says no structural damage. This will definitely be a good season of Hard Knocks. Drama drama drama.

- Their defense is pretty bad. Skins pass defense was horrible and the 2nd game against Giants still haunts me. 250 passing yards in the 1st half and Gilbride decides to try and run more in the 2nd half...brilliant.

Agree that your first three points are big concerns coming into this year but this one I'm pretty optimistic on. The defense was devastated with injuries last year to key guys who as it would turn out could not be adequately replaced (Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather). Get those guys back and if any of the three new athletic draft picks for the secondary work out and we could a vastly improved defense. This was a team that was bafflingly even miraculously able to consistently generate turnovers without a pass rush and with a lot of slow, old players in the back 8. Now if Orakpo can bring the heat (and help Kerrigan out with his mere presence) along with young ballhawks in the secondary, there's the potential to do some damage this year on that side of the ball.

Good call on this. Adam Carriker and Keenan Robinson, both of who were injured last year, already appear to be out for this season...do other teams have this problem so often? So far Orakpo and Meriweather seem to be recovered, but it's only the start of training camp.

Good call on this. Adam Carriker and Keenan Robinson, both of who were injured last year, already appear to be out for this season...do other teams have this problem so often? So far Orakpo and Meriweather seem to be recovered, but it's only the start of training camp.

Yeah, I'm not too happy about that news. Carriker seems to have just never gotten healthy from last year's injury. he had an unnamed "setback" in January and then had another surgery this month. Robinson is very disappointing, since a lot of people were holding out hope that he would be the guy who replaces London Fletcher. But he is obviously lacking Fletcher's uncanny durability.

Didn't know about Carriker and Robinson. That's really annoying. This is why we can't have nice things.

But I will say FO has done studies on this to the point that they build into their model an expected projected bounceback for any team that suffered atrocious injury luck and the Skins were clearly one of those teams last year.That said, Will Carroll also is forever pointing out that "health is a skill" which if you look at certain guys who seem to get injured every year and that seems abundantly clear. So to some extent we should reasonably expect a return to the mean in terms of injury luck but there are certain guys, one foremost in my mind obviously, where you're just hoping they can acquire that skill.

Archived