NFL Thread: Arrest Season Continues

sperry

It's because Romo's epic failures usually come at the very end of the season, when the playoffs are on the line. So people tend to forget about all of Romo's previous heroics to get them to that point. I seriously think that if the Cowboys clinched the division before week 17 this wouldn't be a problem. But Romo, 4th quarter, week 17, for the division, attempting a comeback? It's gonna be an interception. It always is.

It's because Romo's epic failures usually come at the very end of the season, when the playoffs are on the line. So people tend to forget about all of Romo's previous heroics to get them to that point. I seriously think that if the Cowboys clinched the division before week 17 this wouldn't be a problem. But Romo, 4th quarter, week 17, for the division, attempting a comeback? It's gonna be an interception. It always is.

That has happened a grand total of ONE time.

2007 playoff game vs Giants. They dominated the first half, running Marion Barber down the Giants' throats. 2nd half begins and after Barber gets stuffed, Jason Garrett completely abandons the run. This leads to the great Giants pass rush to finally start getting to Romo and the Giants rally. However, IMO, if there is a goat, it's Patrick Crayton who drops a sure TD that might've put the game out of reach.

Romo's biggest choke job was his latest one, against the Redskins. Besides that, it was the Seattle FG hold. And even that one had controversy because of the K Ball. http://kickology.blogspot.com/2009/12/dreaded-k-ball.html

eta: and yes, he threw a pick at the end of that Giants game, a desperation heave as time was running out.

That has happened a grand total of ONE time.

2007 playoff game vs Giants. They dominated the first half, running Marion Barber down the Giants' throats. 2nd half begins and after Barber gets stuffed, Jason Garrett completely abandons the run. This leads to the great Giants pass rush to finally start getting to Romo and the Giants rally. However, IMO, if there is a goat, it's Patrick Crayton who drops a sure TD that might've put the game out of reach.

Romo's biggest choke job was his latest one, against the Redskins. Besides that, it was the Seattle FG hold. And even that one had controversy because of the K Ball. http://kickology.blo...ded-k-ball.html

eta: and yes, he threw a pick at the end of that Giants game, a desperation heave as time was running out.

Was gonna bring this up. If I remember correctly, it was 4th-and-10 from the 20ish with less than 20 seconds in the game. Romo actually fucked up this one because I remember Terrell Owens standing at about the 10 yard line (enough for a first-down) ready to catch and jump out of bounds, wide open. But Romo tried to force it into quadruple coverage and was picked. I think Romo gets a raw deal, though, he's a top-10 QB who's asked to be one of the big-4 and he's just not good enough. Nobody but the big-4 are good enough. If Romo's on a more complete team, the Cowboys rule the NFC.

Was gonna bring this up. If I remember correctly, it was 4th-and-10 from the 20ish with less than 20 seconds in the game. Romo actually fucked up this one because I remember Terrell Owens standing at about the 10 yard line (enough for a first-down) ready to catch and jump out of bounds, wide open. But Romo tried to force it into quadruple coverage and was picked. I think Romo gets a raw deal, though, he's a top-10 QB who's asked to be one of the big-4 and he's just not good enough. Nobody but the big-4 are good enough. If Romo's on a more complete team, the Cowboys rule the NFC.

There was 9 seconds remaining and Owens was not wide open, nor was he close enough to the sideline to guarantee he would have got out of bounds.He was actually also running an endzone route

There was 9 seconds remaining and Owens was not wide open, nor was he close enough to the sideline to guarantee he would have got out of bounds.He was actually also running an endzone route

Eh, it was 6 years ago. Weird that I have that mental picture, but whatevs. My bad.

I think Romo gets a raw deal, though, he's a top-10 QB who's asked to be one of the big-4 and he's just not good enough. Nobody but the big-4 are good enough. If Romo's on a more complete team, the Cowboys rule the NFC.

I agree that Romo gets a lot of the blame for a team that always lacks depth and thus by the end of the season is already starting to crack. But I don't really understand the notion that with a more complete team the Cowboys rule the NFC when just one sentence earlier you mention that Brees and Rodgers are clearly better.

When Romo has a team that is better than his opponent, then he is almost always good enough to win the game. The problem is that when the other team is slightly more talented, Romo usually isn't the guy to put you over the top. He has been ~ the 10th best quarterback in the league for virtually his entire career. You can win the Super Bowl with the 10th best quarterback, but you need a damn good team around you to do it, and Romo has never had that.

And really, it doesn't matter how good or bad the QB is because quite often he goes with the team. Its the only position in the sport where one single player can get all the credit for wins or all the blame for losses, despite the fact that he is only 1 person on an 11-person unit in a game that requires 3 separate units to take the field at different times.

That SI article had a great point about Romo with that. His defense crumpled and just got the shit kicked out of them week after week the last month and a half of the season, yet what do we hear about? Tony Romo can't win in December/chokes in big games. Despite the fact that he threw for almost 2000 yards and 15 touchdowns in those last 6 games and really only had a "bad" game Week 17, its all his fault that they didn't get it done.

That SI article had a great point about Romo with that. His defense crumpled and just got the shit kicked out of them week after week the last month and a half of the season, yet what do we hear about? Tony Romo can't win in December/chokes in big games. Despite the fact that he threw for almost 2000 yards and 15 touchdowns in those last 6 games and really only had a "bad" game Week 17, its all his fault that they didn't get it done.

It's true. And that's why I've said that last year's Redskins-Cowboys Thanksgiving game was much more of a "classic" Romo game than the week 17 matchup. Romo wasn't sharp, but really it was the defense that completely let him down and the Skins had a 28-3 lead at halftime. But Romo comes back and finishes the game with a respectable stat line of 441 yards, 3 tds, 2 ints, but still not quite able to finish the 25 point comeback thanks to the defense giving up another 10 points in the 4th quarter.

Has anybody been reading the new MMQB site that SI launched? Thus far I've been pretty impressed with the articles, there is a lot more detailed and intelligent writing on there than most NFL sites. The piece on getting cut from an NFL squad was really good.

I agree that Romo gets a lot of the blame for a team that always lacks depth and thus by the end of the season is already starting to crack. But I don't really understand the notion that with a more complete team the Cowboys rule the NFC when just one sentence earlier you mention that Brees and Rodgers are clearly better.

When Romo has a team that is better than his opponent, then he is almost always good enough to win the game. The problem is that when the other team is slightly more talented, Romo usually isn't the guy to put you over the top. He has been ~ the 10th best quarterback in the league for virtually his entire career. You can win the Super Bowl with the 10th best quarterback, but you need a damn good team around you to do it, and Romo has never had that.

Brees and Rodgers are better, but just as Possum mentions, they're both just one man on 11 man units. When I say "complete" team, I mean depth behind all of the skill they've had for ages. The Cowboys have some of the best talent in the league, but it's all surrounded by mediocrity (at least in my eyes). So what I meant is that if you keep the core superstars they have, then add in guys around them who aren't overpaid/injuryprone/just-bad-at-the-NFL-level, then the Cowboys are a perennial force. I didn't mean to say that Romo alone makes them that team, the point was supposed to be that he wouldn't be asked to make them that team. Just like Demarcus Ware has been asked to single-handedly create the pass-rush for the last few years, with literally no one in the secondary, and Jason Witten is still asking why he's the best pass/run blocker on the offense when he gets paid to make catches.

Has anybody been reading the new MMQB site that SI launched? Thus far I've been pretty impressed with the articles, there is a lot more detailed and intelligent writing on there than most NFL sites. The piece on getting cut from an NFL squad was really good.

The format annoys me, because all of a sudden I have to hunt around for my regular Monday and Tuesday columns. I don't like the emphasis on video. I'm at work, I don't stream video, and even at home I'd rather read an article than have somebody read it out to me.

I can't say why it annoys me while I enjoy Grantland. It may be that the site design is less aggravating at Grantland, or just that I like Simmons better than King.

Eventually I'll probably be okay with it and even become a fan, once I've gotten used to it.

The format annoys me, because all of a sudden I have to hunt around for my regular Monday and Tuesday columns. I don't like the emphasis on video. I'm at work, I don't stream video, and even at home I'd rather read an article than have somebody read it out to me.

I can't say why it annoys me while I enjoy Grantland. It may be that the site design is less aggravating at Grantland, or just that I like Simmons better than King.

Eventually I'll probably be okay with it and even become a fan, once I've gotten used to it.

I will actually say that the current format/organization is a complete mess and it is hard for me to find anything. But I am liking the writing thus far, and a lot of the topics are on teams/players/things that usually don't get much attention.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/30/more-details-on-nbcs-revolutionary-freed-bullet-time-replay-rigs/

NBC is introducing "Bullet Time" cameras for coverages of the games this year. It will take a live video and render it 3 dimensional in its angles. It has already been deployed for a NY Yankees game and it looks incredible. I hope we see it this Sunday in the Hall of Fame Game.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/30/more-details-on-nbcs-revolutionary-freed-bullet-time-replay-rigs/

NBC is introducing "Bullet Time" cameras for coverages of the games this year. It will take a live video and render it 3 dimensional in its angles. It has already been deployed for a NY Yankees game and it looks incredible. I hope we see it this Sunday in the Hall of Fame Game.

I thought we saw that in the Super Bowl a couple years back already.

I thought we saw that in the Super Bowl a couple years back already.

Yeah, I actually thought it was the Ravens-Giants Super Bowl where they debuted that, and I've seen it in a few games since. Most of the time it looked sorta crappy because the cameras were too far apart and it didn't look at all fluid.

Archived