NFL Thread: Arrest Season Continues

sperry

Yes, I just have a hard time believing that Welker leaving isn't going to hurt the Patriots like hell. I mean, I always knew Welker caught a lot of balls, etc. but I just didn't really ever realize that he averaged 112 per season. That's a whole lotta moving the chains!

Assuming that Amendola and Brady can get on the same page, I think that he is totally capable of being more Welker than Welker as realWelker's skills diminish with age. But that comes with the caviet of when Amendola is on the field. If he can't stay healthy, he's no good to anyone. The Patriots offense has been remarkably resiliant when it comes to surviving injury problems, but at the moment they have exactly two proven recievers: Gronk and Amendola. Both have a long history of injury problems. You have to expect that at least one, if not both, of them will miss games this year, and when that happens it'll be on Brady to keep things chugging.

Assuming that Amendola and Brady can get on the same page, I think that he is totally capable of being more Welker than Welker as realWelker's skills diminish with age. But that comes with the caviet of when Amendola is on the field. If he can't stay healthy, he's no good to anyone. The Patriots offense has been remarkably resiliant when it comes to surviving injury problems, but at the moment they have exactly two proven recievers: Gronk and Amendola. Both have a long history of injury problems. You have to expect that at least one, if not both, of them will miss games this year, and when that happens it'll be on Brady to keep things chugging.

Completely agree. That's a big part of what was so starkly indicated to me (I'm not a Patriots expert, etc.) in looking at Welker's stats with new England - his durability. Not only did he always catch a boatload of passes but he consistently did it for a lot of games (according to his wiki he only missed three games when in NE). That's going to be a tough act to follow.

Gronk's already out for the first few games of the year. The stat that's been thrown around here a lot is that the guys who left this offseason caught 80% of Brady's receptions last year. And yeah, I expect the offense to suffer.

Personally I'd love a greater emphasis on the running game and I'm hoping the defense improves this year, with Jones and Hightower in their second year. Maybe the team will feel more like the 2004 Pats again, and not as much like the 2004 Colts.

the reason that the Pats running game worked (and it was quite effective if not frequently used) was because the pass set up the run. Without Welker/Hdez/Gronk, there's not nearly the scariness of having to go into nickel or dime base and then have them check to the run. I'm very skeptical that they can do that effectively, even if they choose to emphasize it more.

the reason that the Pats running game worked (and it was quite effective if not frequently used) was because the pass set up the run. Without Welker/Hdez/Gronk, there's not nearly the scariness of having to go into nickel or dime base and then have them check to the run. I'm very skeptical that they can do that effectively, even if they choose to emphasize it more.

They had a running game before they had Welker/Gronk/Hernandez and I think they've got more talented backs than they've had since the days of Clock Killin Corey Dillon.

ETA: Sorry, I thought I was responding to another post.

Yes, I just have a hard time believing that Welker leaving isn't going to hurt the Patriots like hell. I mean, I always knew Welker caught a lot of balls, etc. but I just didn't really ever realize that he averaged 112 per season. That's a whole lotta moving the chains!

Word, it's incredible. That might be the best WR/QB tandem I've never noticed was so great. With Manning to Harrison, you knew Harrison was going to catch 100+, and while the same was expected with Brady to Welker. I just don't know if many of us really comprehended what it meant.

Personally I'd love a greater emphasis on the running game and I'm hoping the defense improves this year, with Jones and Hightower in their second year. Maybe the team will feel more like the 2004 Pats again, and not as much like the 2004 Colts.

I've been saying this is what NE has needed for ages, but I don't think they're anywhere near 2004 status. That defense is still extremely suspect, and if anyone's close to 2004 Pats, it's this years' Broncos.

They had a running game before they had Welker/Gronk/Hernandez and I think they've got more talented backs than they've had since the days of Clock Killin Corey Dillon.

Sorry, but the guys I see in NE got nothing on that beast of a man. They're good, but they look more like slash-and-dash to me. While I like the talent in the backfield, I think Kal is right. The Pats' runningbacks excel at finding creases in nickel defenses, I'm curious to see how they fare against defenses that view them as more than an afterthought.

This thread is ridiculous. In years past, it would have already been full and moving on to the next one now that football has started but so far, nada.

A few takeaways for me from the Bengals v Falcons game last night.

• Robert Alford was a great pick for the Falcons. He's always around the ball and plays physically.
  • On the flip side, their depth is meh. If the Falcons suffer any serious injuries, especially defensively, they're in for some problems
  • Offensive line for the Falcons pass protected alright but they were terrible at run blocking. Steven Jackson was also looking slow.
  • Bengals have a serious amount of defensive depth. They're loaded with talent at all spots. It's awesome to watch. A few injuries (outside of Atkins), won't hurt us defensively.
  • Josh Johnson and John Skelton actually played well. It doesn't mean anything since it was against back ups, but still, nice to see. Gradkowski never did in the past.
  • Bengals first string offense wasn't great but it wasn't due to Dalton. He moved the ball, got us in the right spots and made good throws, just slips and OL penalties killed the first drive. I'm not worried.

This thread is ridiculous. In years past, it would have already been full and moving on to the next one now that football has started but so far, nada.

A few takeaways for me from the Bengals v Falcons game last night.

• Robert Alford was a great pick for the Falcons. He's always around the ball and plays physically.
  • On the flip side, their depth is meh. If the Falcons suffer any serious injuries, especially defensively, they're in for some problems
  • Offensive line for the Falcons pass protected alright but they were terrible at run blocking. Steven Jackson was also looking slow.
  • Bengals have a serious amount of defensive depth. They're loaded with talent at all spots. It's awesome to watch. A few injuries (outside of Atkins), won't hurt us defensively.
  • Josh Johnson and John Skelton actually played well. It doesn't mean anything since it was against back ups, but still, nice to see. Gradkowski never did in the past.
  • Bengals first string offense wasn't great but it wasn't due to Dalton. He moved the ball, got us in the right spots and made good throws, just slips and OL penalties killed the first drive. I'm not worried.

Has looked this way for several years IMO.

Set my DVR to record Niners v. Broncos at 1 AM. :stillsick:

I watched a bit of it during Reach-Around Coverage. :smileysex: Thought I'd like to at least watch the Niners' first drive in full.

Word, it's incredible. That might be the best WR/QB tandem I've never noticed was so great. With Manning to Harrison, you knew Harrison was going to catch 100+, and while the same was expected with Brady to Welker. I just don't know if many of us really comprehended what it meant.

Sorry, but the guys I see in NE got nothing on that beast of a man. They're good, but they look more like slash-and-dash to me. While I like the talent in the backfield, I think Kal is right. The Pats' runningbacks excel at finding creases in nickel defenses, I'm curious to see how they fare against defenses that view them as more than an afterthought.

Okay, you never noticed how effective Welker and Brady were, but you're an authority on the strengths of the Pats' RBs. Got it.

Okay, you never noticed how effective Welker and Brady were, but you're an authority on the strengths of the Pats' RBs. Got it.

No need to get chippy. I was going more for the effect that Welker and Brady was so routinely awesome that a lot of people almost neglected it.

Just watched the highlights of last night's action. My takeaways: Jay Cutler threw a INT on his first pass, and it looked like Jeffery might have cut his route short. That's not as interesting as the fact that the Bears' passing attack is clearly designed so that when Cutler hits his back foot, he's throwing. Didn't get to see a whole lot of passes, but he was getting rid of the ball quick, and I think Trestman's plan is to tell him "you can beat the coverage, just get the ball out of your hand, let the receiver run a good route and make a play". My take on that.

I liked what I saw from the Cards' receivers, Carson wasn't all that accurate (I think he'll get there), but these are the most gifted WR's he's played with in... well, ever (Housh and Ocho be damned).

I actually like the Jags' new uni's, but they're fucked in the QB department (which is great for me). It was painfully clear how much they're trying to protect the QB in the gameplan with the designed rollouts and checkdowns (don't think I saw Gabbert/Hannie look downfield once), but that shit never works unless you've got the defense/running game to carry the load. News flash, Jacksonville; you don't! That's about all I got from a few highlights of a few minutes of a few pointless games.

Just watched the highlights of last night's action. My takeaways: Jay Cutler threw a INT on his first pass, and it looked like Jeffery might have cut his route short. That's not as interesting as the fact that the Bears' passing attack is clearly designed so that when Cutler hits his back foot, he's throwing. Didn't get to see a whole lot of passes, but he was getting rid of the ball quick, and I think Trestman's plan is to tell him "you can beat the coverage, just get the ball out of your hand, let the receiver run a good route and make a play". My take on that.

I'd agree with that. The West Coast offense Trestman runs will be short quick passes galore. And yeah, Jeffrey stopped on the route for that pick. They ran the exact same play on the first snap of the next series and Jeffrey caught it for 13 because he kept going.

My take from watching the first half of that game is that the defense is going to be just fine. Jon Bostic, the 2nd round pick, looked great and if he keeps playing like that I see him taking the MLB spot from DJ Williams. And last year's 6th rounder Isaiah Frey, unfortunate last name and all, could end up a bargaining chip held against Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings next year since both have expiring contracts. The defense is going to be really damned good again.

The offense needs to gel more. J'Marcus Webb is still a terrible offensive lineman. 1st round pick Kyle Long just needs to improve his footwork and technique, instead of relying on brute strength for blocks, and he could be a beast. Matt Forte, if he stays healthy, should have around 2,000 all-purpose yards.

If Trestman truly is an offensive guru, then the Bears should at the very least be Wild Card contenders.

Eli made a nice little shuffle in the pocket to get that throw off. I love when QB's do that. Eli and Brady are really good at it despite not being "mobile."

Yup. Eli has great pocket awareness. I only saw the replay because everytime I remembered the game was on it was commercials...so many damn commercials.

Watched the Colts game today. Only worthwhile takeaways: O-line still sucks, but that was expected. Matt Hasselbeck's arm looks as strong as a wet noodle. And all the T.Y. Hilton buzz seems to have some merit, I hope,

Archived