NFL Thread: Arrest Season Continues

sperry

good JJ Watt interview

Watt: My goal is I want to create the 20-20-20 club: 20 sacks, 20 tackles for loss, 20 batted balls. I was close last year but didn't make it. Nobody has ever gotten close to that. It's like the football triple crown. That's what I am going for. Last year, I led in every category (he had 23 1/2 tackles for loss and 16 batted balls), but I didn't get the 20-20-20. That's my goal this year...

Q: How many times in the second half of last season were you single-blocked?

Watt: I would say 20-percent or less of the time. If I get single-blocked, my mentality is don't lose. A single block to me is a play I have to win. If I am watching a game, and I don't win a single block, I am furious with myself. I've had triple teams. I get a guard and tackle at the same time and the running back or tight end from the backside. Or you get guard-tackle and get the center coming from the side. The Packers tripled me. That's one that stands out. I got tripled-teamed a few times in that game. I still had two sacks, and two tackles for loss in those games. If they're going to triple me, it means two extra guys are on me and it means two extra guys aren't blocking somebody else or aren't going out in routes. That's' what I love about my defense. If you want to focus three guys on me, we have 10 other playmakers you have to worry about. I will gladly take three guys on. You're not guaranteed to stop me with three. It will be tough (for him), but you're not guaranteed to stop me. If you try to triple me, you're going to make yourself vulnerable in other spots.....

Q: So not hitting the town for beers with the fellas?

Watt: Not here. I can't. Anything I do gets put on the Internet. So I stay in my house a lot. I don't drink often at all, and don't do much drinking at all during the season. You can use your fame in two ways. You can act like you don't have it and still party and do those things. But you see what happens with guys like Johnny Football (Johnny Manziel) or Gronk (Rob Gronkowski) and all of a sudden their parties become big stories. Or you can use your fame for good. I try to use my fame for the community. I try to use it for charity. And I try and use it the right way.

Have tempered excitement for the start of the season. I find I can't gear up like this is Mardi Gras because the 800 lbs gorilla in the room is still RGIII's health and really everything else feels semi-irrelevant in comparison to that.

That said, when I let my mind dwell on some of things the Skins potentially have this season that they didn't last, I can't help but imagine the possibilities. Orakpo so long as he stays healthy is clearly the single biggest difference maker on the defense and I love what that Haslett is devising a three aces package to get him, Kerrigan and Brandon Jenkins all on the field at the same time to rush the passer. Skins didn't have 2 of those 3 guys last year.

Plus I'm just imagining what the Shanahans can do with a swiss-army knife of a player like Jordan Reed. So long as he doesn't share the homocidal tendencies of his Florida TE predecessor he often gets compared to, I could see him contributing the occasional "holy shit!" play that previously would be exclusively the province of RGIII and no-one else on that workmanlike offense. Also getting Helu back and pairing him as a third down speed-pass catching compliment to Morris is another dimension the team didn't have last year. Just seems like even if teams catch onto the pistol/read-option looks the Skins showed last year (which BTW I doubt - hell even the Broncos with their notoriously slow-footed QB are even experimenting with the Pistol), there are new weapons/dimensions that can be deployed to befuddle.

The big downers are losing Phillip Thomas for the season after an injury that was previously reported as "day-to-day" so I'm already deeply concerned about a repeat of the nighmarish safety situation from last year. Plus ILB depth looks absolutely terrible after injuries. If London Fletcher finally loses a step (or simply passes away due to natural causes) or Riley gets hurt, I'd be terrified this defense will look like the Eagles one from the last couple years that would get repeatedly gashed up the middle. I hope for the best, fear for the worst in both situations.

That said, words can't describe how excited I am for week one. Between Chip Kelly's first game and RGIII's return it is the ultimate Pandora's Box game on the week one slate - God only knows what we'll see. The Skins were the Pandora's Box team last year for the Saints, unleashing an Ark of the Covenant set of surprises/horrors on a confident but unsuspecting Saints team. I'm concerned Kelly does the same against the Skins. But then there's RGIII chomping at the bit to return, so eager to have a statement game and suddenly every possible week one result seems on the table. Can't Wait!

The big downers are losing Phillip Thomas for the season after an injury that was previously reported as "day-to-day" so I'm already deeply concerned about a repeat of the nighmarish safety situation from last year. Plus ILB depth looks absolutely terrible after injuries. If London Fletcher finally loses a step (or simply passes away due to natural causes) or Riley gets hurt, I'd be terrified this defense will look like the Eagles one from the last couple years that would get repeatedly gashed up the middle. I hope for the best, fear for the worst in both situations.

Yeah, DE is another problem area after losing Carriker for the season and Jenkins getting suspended for 4 games. We are prettymuch relying on Barry Cofield and the OLBs to cover up the weaknesses throughout the entire rest of the defense. It's a tall order, but by the end of the season we were clicking last year, in spite of many limitations. Maybe we can make that happen again, but with a healthy Orakpo. That would be something to see.

That said, words can't describe how excited I am for week one. Between Chip Kelly's first game and RGIII's return it is the ultimate Pandora's Box game on the week one slate - God only knows what we'll see. The Skins were the Pandora's Box team last year for the Saints, unleashing an Ark of the Covenant set of surprises/horrors on a confident but unsuspecting Saints team. I'm concerned Kelly does the same against the Skins. But then there's RGIII chomping at the bit to return, so eager to have a statement game and suddenly every possible week one result seems on the table.

Yeah, I think that the last year that going into the season I thought that we had a better than 50/50 chance of making the playoffs was 2006 (that didn't go well). I am very very excited to see Griffin out there again, although I cannot imagine rooting for a more high stress player. He is amazing, but every single time he gets touched, my heart is in my throat that maybe our season has come crashing down. Not a fan of that feeling, but I suppose I'd better get used to it; it isn't going to get better.

As for the Eagles...I dunno. Maybe Kelly has some crazy tricks up his sleeve, but I know he doesn't have much of a quarterback, and it's not like other NFL offenses aren't doing their damndest to impose tempo on the defense. Kelly may succeed or he may not, but I am actually pretty confident about week 1. The Eagles defense is not very good, and their offense is pretty short on talent.

disappointed to see users here using the R-word, thought this was a more enlightened group

Can't we troll some other thread? Jaime and I have both already said we don't like our racist team name. I'm not going to include it as a disclaimer at the end of every one of my posts.

Can't we troll some other thread? Jaime and I have both already said we don't like our racist team name. I'm not going to include it as a disclaimer at the end of every one of my posts.

sorry my tongue in cheek did not come through in that post as intended

Yeah, DE is another problem area after losing Carriker for the season and Jenkins getting suspended for 4 games. We are prettymuch relying on Barry Cofield and the OLBs to cover up the weaknesses throughout the entire rest of the defense. It's a tall order, but by the end of the season we were clicking last year, in spite of many limitations. Maybe we can make that happen again, but with a healthy Orakpo. That would be something to see.

Yeah, good point.. D-line was the one sneaky solid part of the defense last year but without Carriker and Jenkins it's concerning. Especially against an Eagles team you know will want to run it down the Skins throat. Skins have been a good run defending team over the last decade, but have some concerns whether the run fits will be as precise this season. Orakpo's return helps there too, I think.

Yeah, I think that the last year that going into the season I thought that we had a better than 50/50 chance of making the playoffs was 2006 (that didn't go well). I am very very excited to see Griffin out there again, although I cannot imagine rooting for a more high stress player. He is amazing, but every single time he gets touched, my heart is in my throat that maybe our season has come crashing down. Not a fan of that feeling, but I suppose I'd better get used to it; it isn't going to get better.

This is true. And it goes double for the first hits he takes this season. I guess it'll be similar to what Broncos fans dealt with Manning early last season wondering if his head would fly off, of course the difference is Manning barely ever gets hit.

I guess it'll be similar to what Broncos fans dealt with Manning early last season wondering if his head would fly off, of course the difference is Manning barely ever gets hit.

And Manning is also a really big man. According to Wikipedia, RG3 is 217 (that sounds high) and Peyton is 230 (that sounds low). Regardless, Peyton takes very few shots, and those that he does are usually more "wrap up and fall down" kinda sacks, not the bone crushing shots that really worry you.

The Bears defense has one really good season left. I don't see any real drop off losing Lovie and Urlacher. But after this season? Eh, Briggs, Peanut, and Peppers will all be approaching mid 30's. Even Tim Jennings is going to be 30. They are going to have to start making some tough decisions salary wise and start rebuilding the defense.

Archived