Video Games: Wallets Getting Steamed

Fez

Dell outlet store.One of the best-kept secrets in the world. You're welcome. ;) ETA: And at full price, $2000 for an AlienWare is going cheap. If you're gonna spend the cash, spend all the cash. But I'm young and single, so who am I to tell you that your kid can go a few weeks without food if daddy/mommy gets his/her high-res playthrough of 'Rome II: Total War'.

AlienWare

OK dude, now that's just cruel.

Dell outlet store.One of the best-kept secrets in the world. You're welcome. ;) ETA: And at full price, $2000 for an AlienWare is going cheap. If you're gonna spend the cash, spend all the cash. But I'm young and single, so who am I to tell you that your kid can go a few weeks without food if daddy/mommy gets his/her high-res playthrough of 'Rome II: Total War'.

Stop giving out bad information. 2000 is still overpriced. He can build a far better machine at less than half that cost.

KoA:R really does live up to its billing, I'm 17 hours in and still haven't covered even gone to more than a fifth of a map. I did just finish a faction questline, which surprised me since the factions seemed to be following along at the same pace as the plot and I thought they'd all conclude near the end; but apparently not. I'm okay with that though, there's so many side quests and faction quests that I can barely remember the main plot (which, its true so far, isn't that much of a thing); and anything that appears under the 'tasks' heading I just ignore at this point.

Picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 today. Not far into it but the stages seem to have gone up a notch and the new Paper-Rock-Scissors weapon system is actually kind of cool.

How's it compared to 7?

Got Deus EX:HR plus a bunch of it's DLC for under £5

Sin of a solar empire:rebellion which I kind of regret, mainly because the AI is pretty dense and I am not really into multi-player RTS

Also picked up Far cry 3, which I at the time I had no idea why, an FPS which I am not that keen on, an I wasn't keen on the setting in FC2. However I am really enjoying far cry 3, mainly the exploring and causing chaos parts of it. Runs pretty well on my PC as well, mix of High and V.High settings.

Stop giving out bad information. 2000 is still overpriced. He can build a far better machine at less than half that cost.

Listen to this guy ^

The brand is what you're paying for. I'm kind of a snob about computers. :dunno: But true, with the right guidance he can build a top-quality machine for around $1,500.

The brand is what you're paying for. I'm kind of a snob about computers. :dunno: But true, with the right guidance he can build a top-quality machine for around $1,500.

The brand is what you're paying for........? I've literally never heard that about anything related to PC gaming, it's about the specs and price. If you want an overpriced paperweight with a cool brand buy a fucking mac.

So I hadn't bought any games this year but I have a hard time resisting a good sale. Bought 45 titles and I'm currently playing Borderlands 2 which is great so far.

The Binding of Isaac

Borderlands 2

Castle Crashers

Darksiders II

Deadlight

Defense Grid: The Awakening

Dragon's Lair

Dungeon Defenders

Dungeon Siege

Dungeon Siege 2

Dungeon Siege 3

Dyad

Fallout: New Vegas

Fez

FTL: Faster Than Light

Galactic Civilization I

Galactic Civilization II

Half Life 2

Just Cause

Just Cause 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Mark of the Ninja

Mirror's Edge

Natural Selection 2

NightSky

Organ Trail

Psychonauts

Rayman Origins

Sang-Froid-Tales of Werewolves

Sleeping Dogs

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

Strike Suit Zero

Super House of the Dead Ninjas

Super Meat Boy

Sword of the Stars: The Pit

System Shock 2

Terraria

Thief Gold

To the Moon

Torchlight II

Trine

Trine 2

Vessel

Worms Revolution

@: Fiddler - If you don't want to attempt building your own PC I'd recommend getting in touch with a friend or relative who knows what they're doing, work with them to set a budget and have them pick the parts for you and build it. I've done this for quite a few friends and family members who weren't comfortable trying it themselves. They might do it for free, I do cause I just love putting them together. Taking all those shiny new parts out of their packaging. Good times.

Barring that, try a custom PC company. iBuyPower, CyberPowerPC and DigitalStorm are the three I know of. I've never used any of them so I can't say what kind of markup you'll be getting but I've heard good things about iBuyPower at least. Definitely steer clear of Alienware or any other gaming brand pre-fab computers, you'll pay a ridiculous amount of extra money for nothing but a badge on the case.

I didn't end up getting as much crap as I usually do this Steam sale. I've bought too many games that I've never played or completed over the years in sales so I'm trying not to do that anymore. I ended up getting the season pass for Borderlands 2, the three big Skyrim DLCs, the Walking Dead DLC and Darksiders 2. Which is actually a lot of content now that I think about it but oh well. I'm doing all the Borderlands 2 DLC at the moment, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep is so awesome, lol.

Jesus, this is all kinds of crazy. What kind of computer snob goes and buys an overpriced piece of crap? A computer snob goes out and builds his own damn computer for 1/3rd of the cost. Holy shit.

Put it this way: For around $650, three years ago I bought a computer capable of running every game currently out there on the highest settings. Right now, the only thing it chugs on its Planetside2, which is also a game that happens to feature a 4x4km space with up to 6k players on at once shooting at each other in a fast-paced FPS with a bunch of vehicles thrown in to make your computer crash and burn even more. For that monstrosity of a game, I have to...turn my settings down to medium. Oh the horror. For another thing, most games these days have to come out on consoles as well as PC, so for the last 2-3 years, requirements for games haven't really gone up at all, nor have the upper limits of what a game can do. This means you could pay 2k for a grossly overpowered computer that actually won't do a damn thing for you, at least until the new console generation comes out. But you know what? Trying to futureproof your computer is a sucker's game, don't do it.

For $650. Building a computer is easy, honestly. Find a friend if you can. Check out http://forums.someth...hreadid=3525843 (if you can, sometimes its behind a paywall) because they have some incredibly useful information on what pieces will get you good power for your money.

edit: I'm still confused over "the brand is what you pay for". Who on earth do you show off your desktop to? Its not like a car or a purse where people actually see the damn thing.

edit2: For an idea of what I'm talking about, here are the planned specs for Battlefield 4.

MINIMUM OS: Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) 32-bit Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz) Memory: 2 GB System RAM Hard Drive: 20 GB Video Card:DirectX 10.1 compatible with 512 MB RAM Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

RECOMMENDED OS: Windows 7 64-bit Processor: Quad-core CPU Memory: 4 GB Hard Drive: 20 GB Video Card: DirectX 11 compatible with 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950) Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

It runs on a 32-bit OS with a dualcore processor and Directx9 graphics card. That was hot and shining new circa 2004. My $650 computer from 3 years ago (so the parts should be even cheaper now) are pretty much exactly the recommended settings. I have Win7 with a 64-bit, Quadcore, 8 GB Ram, and a GTX 560. Considering that I have BF3 set on very high right now and this looks about the same, I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase. I guess I could paint a little alien head on my case to make me feel better.

edit: vvvvvv A gaming laptop I've never looked into, but I could believe it. And it really is easy to put it together. In most cases, its a matter of clicking in parts into pre-set slots. I had never done one before the current one. I printed out a bunch of instructions and did a little research and it was fine.

I like to buy gaming brands when it comes to laptops. Otherwise it's impossible to get a high spec laptop.

I agree that ideally the cheapest way to get a gaming computer is to build one yourself, but it isn't something everyone can do. You might be able to source a whole bunch of different parts and install everything yourself but not everyone is. I never have; I might be able to with a whole bunch of research and time and maybe a little extremely expensive trial and error but frankly I can't really be arsed.

If you're planning on doing any decent amount of PC gaming it's very much worth it to learn how to build your own. You'll save money and you'll learn a decent amount about computers that will likely come in handy down the line.

The only downside is that your computer inept friends and family will turn to you when their shit breaks.

It's incredibly easy to put a PC together honestly. I understand why it seems intimidating but it honestly requires no tech savvy whatsoever. Shit putting my bookshelf together was harder than my desktop. But I have been screwing around in computers since before I could walk so I'm probably not the right person to judge how difficult most people would find it. :shrug:

I recommend not going with a laptop for gaming purposes as they can't really be upgraded. That said I do own an Asus laptop for traveling that runs most games pretty well. Cost me around $1000 but it was on sale at the time. GTX660m, 8GB ram and some i5 or other I can't recall which one at the moment.

For $650. Building a computer is easy, honestly. Find a friend if you can. Check out http://forums.someth...hreadid=3525843 (if you can, sometimes its behind a paywall) because they have some incredibly useful information on what pieces will get you good power for your money.

It's behind a paywall at the moment. Any idea when this goes away?

My parents bought me a 700 dollar HP from Bestbuy a few years ago (desktop). I upgraded the graphics card but I am still playing games like Skyrim on high settings. I can't do the Witcher 2 on ubersampling or whatever, but hell--awesome gaming desktops can be made on the cheap now. If you get windows 7 64, it comes with like 8 gigs of RAM, and probably a terrabyte of storage. You need to have good processing speed, and add a good graphics card (make sure your power supply can handle it) and bam, you've got a good gaming rig.

Yeah gaming PCs can be built pretty cheaply. Just don't go overkill on the specs (I did), wait for sales (I didn't), and shop around so you can get the best price on parts (I didn't). I even built my own, but it still ended up costing over $1200 :dunno:

Also if you decide to go the DIY route, remember you (and google) are your only tech support.

Sites like Newegg are good places to start hunting for parts

Archived