Video Games: Wallets Getting Steamed

Fez

How's it compared to 7?

Dynasty Warriors 8 vs 7

- Well the plot is .. sped up and condensed compared to 7. For example the Shu Kingdom has 35 years in between stages 1 and 7. However that is counterbalanced by having optional side missions and more importantly a whole "What if" branch of the storyline for all 4 kingdoms. For example Shu has it What if Xu Shu came back to Liu Bei and what if Pang Tong survived? How would that affect the Fan castle battle and then afterwards? Its kind of neat. You also choose between 2-4 characters per stage. I think 7's story was done better but that was at the cost of focusing on fewer generals to play with. Oh a bonus for 8, there's a sort of "Others" story mode were you play as Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu and the like.

- The fighting is flat out better than 7's. No cloned movesets and 70+ odd movesets which you can switch around just like in 7. Also weapons have different affinities now and that is between Heaven, Earth, and Man. And they work like paper rock scissors. In game you see a symbol over the generals head that you are fighting which t ells you which kind he is using. So depending on which you have equipped you can see him wielding something that will dominate you damage-wise but then you switch to another affinity and you dominate him.

- The stages are all new. So no more seeing maps from the past 4 games onwards like DW7 had. I think there is roughly 60 unique stages. They are also for the most part huge and filled with enemies. First stage for Shu was Yellow Turbans and I ended with 1600 ko's without trying hard. Also for once only Shu has to fight the Yellow Turbans. Wei's mode starts with Cao Cao attempting to assissinate Dong Zhuo, and Wu's starts with Sun Jian's ill fated attack vs Liu Biao. Also depending on what character you choose you will get sent on different missions.

- I haven't tried ambition mode yet but from what I've read it seems to be a combination of DW7 Xtreme Legends mixed with DW4 Xtreme Legends.

- Free Mode is back but it's kind of odd, should you choose a character that isn't one of the story mode choices and they exist in that battle already you won't be taking their place like in older games. There will just be 2 Liu Bei's running around Hu Lao Gate for example.

- That being said the only real negative to me is that in story mode the narration and voice overs in the camps do not exist. It's just text and its kind of hard to read on my TV. My tv isn't the greatest though so on a newer flat screen that probably isn't an issue. Just sucks there's no narration.

Two days until Shadowrun Returns. I was excited about this until someone said that the campaign is really short (under 10 hours) and that the game is more of a Neverwinter Nights thing where people will create their own campaigns for download. I must admit that really killed a lot of my excitement for this. I hope it's inaccurate and there's a longer campaign in there.

That said, for a £13 crowdfunded game I may be expecting too much (though looking at Project Eternity and Wasteland 2, which are both supposed to be huge, I don't think so).

And plus, plus is that though most Dragon Age mods are kind of "eh", there is one mod that makes this game infinitely better on the PC. Skipping the Fade completely. That was the best mod I've ever seen in a game.

Is the Fade really that annoying? I think between DA:O and Awakenings I've spent less than 2 hours in the Fade, in a 60-65 hour game. It's nowhere near as much of a problem as, say, Xen in Half-Life.

On that note, any of the PC guys here have a good website one can go to and order a gaming PC?

Where are you based?

In the UK I always recommened Cyberpower, who are great. However, the American Cyberpower is apparently a lot less well-regarded. Who is good in the USA seems to change quite a lot; Alienware have great build quality but you'll be paying through the nose for it.

But true, with the right guidance he can build a top-quality machine for around $1,500.

What the hell? That's £900 in proper money. You can get a very good quality gaming PC in the UK for less than £600, and a functional one for around £350-400, if you don't mind swapping the graphics card out later. If you really can't do better than that in the USA, you'd probably be better off ordering from the UK and freighting it over (freight is expensive, but I don't think it's £500/$770 expensive). Just leave out the power supply and get one fitted in the USA.

The brand is what you're paying for........? I've literally never heard that about anything related to PC gaming, it's about the specs and price.

There are some people who crow about getting Alienware gear. Though literally the only place on the web where that impresses anyone is Alienware's own forums. Everywhere else people will think you're insane, then realise you have more money then sense and will start trying to fleece you :)

The brand is what you're paying for........? I've literally never heard that about anything related to PC gaming, it's about the specs and price. If you want an overpriced paperweight with a cool brand buy a fucking mac.

... Really? The concept of paying for a brand name is literally anywhere you can find two of the same product made by different companies. It's an aesthetic appeal, like when buying a Prada handbag instead of Generic Sears. Does the Prada do anything the Generic Sears doesn't? No, but it's cool to have that Prada (I guess). I bought an AlienWare because I'm a snob, and I remember wanting one when they were truly top-of-the-line rigs. Sure, I know that I overspent for what I got, but that glowing brand name makes it worth it to me. I didn't just want a laptop that will run any modern game on high-specs, I wanted an AlienWare that will run any modern game on high-specs. I paid for the brand name.

... Really? The concept of paying for a brand name is literally anywhere you can find two of the same product made by different companies. It's an aesthetic appeal, like when buying a Prada handbag instead of Generic Sears. Does the Prada do anything the Generic Sears doesn't? No, but it's cool to have that Prada (I guess). I bought an AlienWare because I'm a snob, and I remember wanting one when they were truly top-of-the-line rigs. Sure, I know that I overspent for what I got, but that glowing brand name makes it worth it to me. I didn't just want a laptop that will run any modern game on high-specs, I wanted an AlienWare that will run any modern game on high-specs. I paid for the brand name.

Do you buy monster cables too? :rofl:

I'm seriously beginning to question whether or not you're an actual PC gamer. A real PC gamer would not spout the crap that you've just spouted.

It's an aesthetic appeal, like when buying a Prada handbag instead of Generic Sears. Does the Prada do anything the Generic Sears doesn't? No, but it's cool to have that Prada (I guess).

Alienware is not Prada. If you buy an Alienware, people won't think you're cool, they'll just point and laugh at you for being stupid enough to buy an Alienware. Which is what I'm doing right now.

Do you buy monster cables too? :rofl:

I don't even know what that means... so... no.

I'm seriously beginning to question whether or not you're an actual PC gamer. A real PC gamer would not spout the crap that you've just spouted.

What does one need to do to be a "real PC gamer"? I am real, I have a PC, and I play games on it... Yeah, I was fucking with the guy upthread about buying an AlienWare because I think AlienWare is cool, and I admit that I could have personally made a PC that is more powerful and at the same time cheaper. I'm not sitting here saying that I actually think AlienWare increases the value of a PC, I'm saying that I wanted one since I was like 15, so I bought one. I think it's cool to have an AlienWare, because it's a known (though close to being outdated) brand, and it makes me look cool to the people who don't know better. Like I said, I'm a snob in this regard.

This is getting pretty silly. Dude bought an Alienware, big deal. Let it go and let's get back to actual vidya games discussyion.

This. I think trying to be counter elitist and claim someone isn't a real PC gamer is silly.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm hoping to get my bonus from work soon and I plan on picking up a PC then. It won't be a top of the line machine because honestly I will still do most of my gaming on my console, but I have recently ran into a few games that I wanted to play that flat out refused to load up on my laptop.

Plus there are a few MMOs that I would like to try that would fry my laptop, lol.

Anyway, I have figured out a few gripes with Divinity 2. Loading times, unskipable cutscenes and the save system.

Ok, I am perfectly fine with an old school, manual save system. Its my own fault that I am not in the habit of saving often, something I am re learning for this game, but, should that mean that I have to sit through the same cut scene again and again, due to dying just after it? Some of the lengthy cutscenes, while cool, are annoying as hell the 3rd or 4th time. Should be able to skip them.

As for the loading times, my god I haven't waited that long for something to load in years it seems. I am not sure why, but holy hell it feels as if it takes like 5 minutes to load sometimes.

Other than those small things I am really enjoying this game. Finally got my battle tower up and running. I now can play around with my creature(not as dirty as that sounds lol) and enchant stuff. I can send minions out to collect recipe items. Not to mention that in certain areas I can turn into a bloody dragon, lol. Good game.

Two days until Shadowrun Returns. I was excited about this until someone said that the campaign is really short (under 10 hours) and that the game is more of a Neverwinter Nights thing where people will create their own campaigns for download. I must admit that really killed a lot of my excitement for this. I hope it's inaccurate and there's a longer campaign in there.

That said, for a £13 crowdfunded game I may be expecting too much (though looking at Project Eternity and Wasteland 2, which are both supposed to be huge, I don't think so).

Why is this a bad thing? I replayed doom a few years ago, trying to get all of the secrets, and even using that playstyle, I clocked in at about 9 hours something.

Honestly, lots of games are 9, or 10 hours long and that's a good length. I don't have the time or patience to throw more than 100 hours at an rpg (skyrim, fallout 3, final fantasy etc style timesinks). Well, I do, if it's for certain strategy games like EU3, crusader kings, civ 4 andthe like. For an rpg or a shooter, I don't expect more than 10 hours out of it (though getting more (that isn't filler) is always nice).

LOL you think it makes you look cool. Lemme guess, you're also one of those hipsters who listens to One Directiion and thinks My Little Pony is the bees knees.

Dude, you've got some issues if me liking AlienWare is such a big deal to you. Besides, notice that I said that it makes me look cool to people who don't know any better. And while it's none of your business, I happen to be getting into Eminem 10 years late, and the only cartoon I watch is 'Batman: The Animated Series'. So, while you might say I'm way behind the times, I'm not exactly a hipster. I take personal hygiene very seriously.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm hoping to get my bonus from work soon and I plan on picking up a PC then. It won't be a top of the line machine because honestly I will still do most of my gaming on my console, but I have recently ran into a few games that I wanted to play that flat out refused to load up on my laptop.

Plus there are a few MMOs that I would like to try that would fry my laptop, lol.

Sorry this turned into such a ridiculous scene. Your best bet is to find a friend who's knowledgeable (watchout for pseudo-nerds, though), and have them build a PC with you. Or, if you're comfortable talking about what kind of budget you have, there're a lot of people on the board who know this stuff, I'd recommend making a thread for it either here or in general discussion.

LOL you think it makes you look cool. Lemme guess, you're also one of those hipsters who listens to One Directiion and thinks My Little Pony is the bees knees.

You're looking like a jerk. Go somewhere else if you wanna sit around a forum trolling. Fucking thread derail much? We get it, you have so much more 'gamer cred' or whatever, or maybe it's that you're actually cool? Because you're mocking people based off of coolness, so that makes you cool? Are you cool? Who cares! Stop being so juvenile.

In more relevant news playing Civ 5 multiplayer cooperatively vs mid level ai with a bunch of friends who picked up the game in the steam sale is so much more fun than just playing Immortal/Diety level solo games vs comps. We're having a ball and I'm getting a chance to play a ton of different strategies and civs that I normally wouldn't consider playing and everyone else is noobing around and learning the game ^_^

You're looking like a jerk. Go somewhere else if you wanna sit around a forum trolling. Fucking thread derail much? We get it, you have so much more 'gamer cred' or whatever, or maybe it's that you're actually cool? Because you're mocking people based off of coolness, so that makes you cool? Are you cool? Who cares! Stop being so juvenile.

In more relevant news playing Civ 5 multiplayer cooperatively vs mid level ai with a bunch of friends who picked up the game in the steam sale is so much more fun than just playing Immortal/Diety level solo games vs comps. We're having a ball and I'm getting a chance to play a ton of different strategies and civs that I normally wouldn't consider playing and everyone else is noobing around and learning the game ^_^

A buddy and I started co-playing Civ 5 a few weeks ago, and you're right. It's hella fun. We're trying to get a mutual 3rd friend in on it, but his alcoholism makes buying the game difficult... Personally, I'm looking forward to doing 'Rome II' multiplayer. Imagine coordinating a battle as you and a friend attack someone's army/city.

Alienware is not Prada. If you buy an Alienware, people won't think you're cool, they'll just point and laugh at you for being stupid enough to buy an Alienware. Which is what I'm doing right now.

Lol. so I guess in this analogy you have the new Gucci (spelling?), and I'm still sporting last years' Prada? Sorry, I know I should just leave it alone, but I think this is hilarious. I will do my best to avoid derailing in the future.

Wish I had friends in my time zone that played civ!

Just finished the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2. I really enjoyed it, the nods to Dark Souls in particular gave me a couple good laughs. Now to decide between the Torgue and Hammerlock DLCs for what to do next.

Just finished the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2. I really enjoyed it, the nods to Dark Souls in particular gave me a couple good laughs. Now to decide between the Torgue and Hammerlock DLCs for what to do next.

You ate dessert first, buddy ;) Tiny Tina's is pretty much the best thing about Borderlands 2. Do Torgue's though, it's dumb but fun. Hammerlock's is really, really dull and uninspired, with crappy enemy types - turn on a podcast or some tunes and grind that for XP, if you bother at all. With the impending level cap boost to 72, gotta get those characters to 61 :) I bought B2 a month or so ago and have my Maya at 60, a couple more hours of UVHM and then I'm set for the time being.

I'll queue it up for after I finish/get bored of Borderlands 2. Thank you for the advice.

Make sure you play the main quest, and then Tiny Tina's dlc for Borderlands 2 before you put it down - her dlc is the best thing about the game.

A buddy and I started co-playing Civ 5 a few weeks ago, and you're right. It's hella fun. We're trying to get a mutual 3rd friend in on it, but his alcoholism makes buying the game difficult... Personally, I'm looking forward to doing 'Rome II' multiplayer. Imagine coordinating a battle as you and a friend attack someone's army/city.

Is there no multiplayer mode for Rome II? I remember you could do multiplayer battles as far back as Rome I...

On Civ V multiplayer, has anyone played with the BNW expansion yet? I'm looking at the new additions to the game and thinking they'll mostly be really good in multiplayer. Culture wars are going to be much more fun! And I look forward to trying to get players embargoed at the World Congress.

ST

Archived