Costume Time Again

I'm going to be Morticia Addams for Halloween, I have the wig and the batsleeve top but I don't know how to make the tendril long skirt, and I'm unsure what shoes to wear.

why not knee high (or over the knee) black boots?

I always find boots easier to walk in, due to the ankle support, and halloween usually means a lot of walking

I have doc martens, but for once my precious shoes are probably not appropriate haha, over-the-knee boots sound like a pretty good idea. It's the skirt I'm worried about the most. I bought a long cheap black skirt, but I really want to do the whole pencil thin with those tendrils at the bottom look that morticia has, I just don't know how.

Hey you, above.

Don't be self conscious. I mean.. if you're the only one dressed up then it might be a teeennny bit akward but if everyone else is dressed up then you can all look and feel silly together.

I find that when everyone is dressed up the mood is more relaxed - everyones got something to talk about :) Embrace the costume.

I'll see how the cat jumper goes first - who knows, by next Halloween I might be decked head to toe in some of the wonderful things I've seen here ;)

I know it's irrational, and it's supposed to be fun, I just always feel like an idiot when I dress up :laugh:

I'm going to my first ever Halloween party. We don't do Halloween in Australia, and I'm not sure they really do it in Switzerland, but there's enough American influence at my grad school that we're having one. I love dressing up and I have little or no shame about it (I used to do children's parties, I would walk down suburban streets in fully fairy regalia, complete with crown and wings, because it wouldn't do to have the kids ask why Fairy Every drives a crappy Toyota), but my budget is very, very limited. Any ideas for a first-time Halloweener?

• 2 weeks later...

I love that skirt!

I'm also doing a steampunk thing, because at the last minute I found a hat at the flea market yesterday and cobbled it together with various pieces of clothing I already owned to go to a Halloween dance last night, and I can wear it to work on Thursday without scandalizing anyone. I've decided that all I need are 2 more good hats so I can have a 4-year rotation of costumes and be fine from now on.

I love that skirt!

I'm also doing a steampunk thing, because at the last minute I found a hat at the flea market yesterday and cobbled it together with various pieces of clothing I already owned to go to a Halloween dance last night, and I can wear it to work on Thursday without scandalizing anyone. I've decided that all I need are 2 more good hats so I can have a 4-year rotation of costumes and be fine from now on.

Thanks. I plan on wearing the skirt as regular clothes. :P I like it a lot and it's actually very comfortable. :)

Well, given that we don't have Halloween here in Serbia, I will have to wait for Catholic Christmas and the masquerade ball in Venice my family is attending every year... Luckily for my nerves, I don't do home-made costumes, since my mum is taking care of everything. She sends me a dozen costumes, and I choose one, or I send her what I want to be... This year I was thinking going like Rhaegar Targaryen... I like black costumes, plus there is always Russian imported hair :) It will look amazing... So, I have to wait 2 more months until costume party...

Have a picture of the "steampunk safari" outfit finally. :) Kind of "understated" on the steampunk side, but I liked the whole look.

Nice costume. Well done...

Archived