[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

Dany and Vick's first encounter will probably involve little dialogue [most of it Vick failing] and a lot of exposition [most of it Vick succeeds]. As for the Volantene fleet, Victarion says how they are no much for it and how they need to win the battle before it arrives.

I agree that she's not going to jump on his ship and don't believe Dany would cooperate with any plan of Vic's. I do think she would generally be appalled by him, but do entertain a crazy notion that she could be abducted by him and taken away from Essos completely against her will.

It's not an idea that I'm committed to, am just trying to think of alternative scenarios.

Vic is not going to have a chance to abduct her. Not when she comes as the Divine Khaleesi of the remnants of Drogo's old khalasar. In my opinion, Jhaqo did no necessarily come to Slaver's Bay to fight against Daenerys. We know that all the Dothraki who visited the birth of the dragons joined her. Now Jhaqo encounters a dragonriding Daenerys. I very much doubt that he is going to want to kill her or drag her back to Vaes Dothrak. Quite the opposite, actually.

As to Dany's attraction to Victarion:

No chance. He is definitely not her type. Way too ugly and too stupid. Euron on the other hand may very well marry her. If they ever meet. He is no boy, passionate, attractive, intelligent, ruthless, and dangerous. Pretty much everything Drogo was.

I could imagine an abduction of Dany before ADwD came out. If Dany had lost most of her support and run into Victarion's fleet that could have happened. But not know.

So if a dragon can snatch a body thrown from a catapult straight out of the air in midflight then I assume a rock launched from a catapult to try and bring down a dragon will pose no difficulty whatsoever for a dragon to avoid? Seems a bit unfair and pretty much makes dragons invulnerable to conventional attack.

Regarding Daenerys. Martin has pretty much drawn a big red arrow pointed straight at Pentos for the Essos storyline. Dany's route back has to go through Pentos first thanks to the addition of the Tattered Prince subplot.

Regarding the Horn : The horn is already bound to Euron. When it is blown the dragon that falls under its spell will head straight for Euron as the dragon flies. Victarrion will either die or be left staring dumbly into the sky as Viserion disappears over the Western horizon.

Tyrion and Barristan will live. They have too much left to do in the plot.

Free Northman,

if the Tattered Prince wants Pentos to get even with Illyrio - as I suspect -, then he might actually urge Dany on to go to Westeros. Either to foil Illyrio's plan with Aegon, or to take him on there. Illyrio has promised to join Connington and Aegon in King's Landing.

No, it was great storytelling.

Ned's entire storyline was built up exactly for this. For him dying like that. And starting the chaos and the war.

Tyrion's storyline and foreshadowing is not. We didn't follow him all that far for him dying in vain without accomplishing nothing.

I think the deaths of Robert & Ned left a huge hole and that's why the books have seemed so meandering and unfocused since then.

There have been a ton of complaints on this site against ASOS, AFFC and ADWD, admittedly not so much against ACOK, but nobody's proclaiming it a great book, either.

1) Tyrion's attainted, meaning he doesn't inherit squat,

Did Tywin officially attaint him? There's that scene in the TV show that's pretty strong, but I don't remember hearing (or reading) that specific word.

2) Sansa and Tyrion have no children together at any rate, and Sansa can't become Lady of Casterly Rock in her own right,

Let's wait and see what LF does with the situation if Tyrion's does die.

3) Casterly Rock passes to Kevan's sons, and failing them, to another branch of the Lannisters.

One son is missing/likely dead and the other has renounced worldly possessions and joined the faith. Again, if this comes up, we'll see.

...And not to be snarky, but I have no idea how Tyrion managed to "hog the limelight" in AFFC, a book from which he was completely absent.

Don't worry, be snarky (with apologies to Bobby McFerrin).

Sure, he was missing from one of the 5 books, but overall in ASOIAF, he's been given the most interesting story line (imo).

Tyrion is my favorite character.

I'm certainly NOT rooting for him to go away!

Incidentally, isn't it interesting that none of the POV characters ever mention getting sick or ever having gotten sick in their childhood?

I don't remember any mentions of being sick as a child but Dany nearly died in her last chapter after drinking from the stream, Jaime get delirious with fever when his wound got infected. So does Davos on the rock etc

The Targaryens can dies of sickness. Daeron the Good, Princes Valarr and Matarys and their children die of the Great Spring Sickness. And Daeron the Drunk died of a pox, if I'm not mistaken. Jaehaerys II was sickly and died young - most likely due to some illness.

Illyrio wants to be Master of Coin of Westeroes and doesn't run Pentos - he's just one of many that approves Princes in Pentos. I actually think he'd be willing to get on board with this whole scheme providing his Mance isnt under threat, his business doesnt suffer, and he still gets his BUMP to Master of coin of the whole planet..

I see things going like this.

Daenerys' Army will move without her. Essos will fall in her name but not really by her hand. Victarion will be her Admiral - Tyrion and Jorah will be taken in and have to earn their status. How that goes down will be complicated and at least one of them will die. Rhaegal will be bound by the horn up while Viserion disappears. Victarion or Skahaz will kill Hizdar for sure. Meeren will be a Capital City of sorts of Slavers Bay loyal to her new Freehold. Selmy may stay there if he lives to consolidate power - but I believe Skahaz will be the Lord Paramount of Old Ghis when it's all said and done and use the Sellswords. Volantis will be next - Probably fairly quickly. Lys and Tyrosh will be next fall to her Fleet and the slave revolts with some plot or twist involving Aurane Waters in the Stepstones which may or may not result in the stealing of Rhaegal or the Horn - all while Daenerys is conquering the Dothraki and making her way West towards through Qohor and Norvos(where Quentyn's Mother lives) with her new very loyal Khalisaar towards the eventual meet up in Pentos by the end of the book and some Bravoosi Twist - like Arya being sent to kill someone we like.

In Westeroes Aegon solidifies things in the South, the Vale will fly, while the North rises from the dead and Jamie goes to a Wedding.

Daenerys' Army will move without her. Essos will fall in her name but not really by her hand. Victarion will be her Admiral - Tyrion and Jorah will be taken in and have to earn their status. How that goes down will be complicated and at least one of them will die. Rhaegal will be bound by the horn up while Viserion disappears. Victarion or Skahaz will kill Hizdar for sure. Meeren will be a Capital City of sorts of Slavers Bay loyal to her new Freehold. Selmy may stay there if he lives to consolidate power - but I believe Skahaz will be the Lord Paramount of Old Ghis when it's all said and done and use the Sellswords. Volantis will be next - Probably fairly quickly. Lys and Tyrosh will be next fall to her Fleet and the slave revolts with some plot or twist involving Aurane Waters in the Stepstones which may or may not result in the stealing of Rhaegal or the Horn - all while Daenerys is conquering the Dothraki and making her way West towards through Qohor and Norvos(where Quentyn's Mother lives) with her new very loyal Khalisaar towards the eventual meet up in Pentos by the end of the book and some Bravoosi Twist - like Arya being sent to kill someone we like.

In Westeroes Aegon solidifies things in the South, the Vale will fly, while the North rises from the dead and Jamie goes to a Wedding.

I have to say that I've become very uninterested in Dany's story after reading ADWD but this sounds awesome! Liberating slavery across Essos would be a much better ending to Dany's story than taking Westeros.

I think the deaths of Robert & Ned left a huge hole and that's why the books have seemed so meandering and unfocused since then.

There have been a ton of complaints on this site against ASOS, AFFC and ADWD, admittedly not so much against ACOK, but nobody's proclaiming it a great book, either.

I haven't seen any sort of complaint for ACOK or ASOS oO

As for the rest, we'll agree to disagree and I'll just say that I'm glad you're not writing the books.

I haven't seen any sort of complaint for ACOK or ASOS oO

As for the rest, we'll agree to disagree and I'll just say that I'm glad you're not writing the books.

Yeah, I scratched my head at that. ASOS is usually ranked as the most popular book in the series.

GRRM has stated that Tyrion is his favorite character. Tyrion is basically his avatar in the series, if he dies, it won't be until the end. He also has unfinished business with finding out where whores go, Jaime, Cersei, and Casterly Rock. But, GRRM needs to fix Tyrion. I'm tired of reading about him being captured while whining about his whore problems and spending half his pages describing what he is eating. He has been imprisoned by Cat, by the Mountain Clans, for the murder of Joffrey, more or less by JonCon, by Jorah, by slavers, and now he'll probably be imprisoned by either Barristan, Vic, or Dany. It's getting old.

I have to say that I've become very uninterested in Dany's story after reading ADWD but this sounds awesome! Liberating slavery across Essos would be a much better ending to Dany's story than taking Westeros.

I still think she's going to do that. But not until the very very end when things are at their most desperate. STANNIS! STANNIS!! But whatever happens will only be good so long as shes more on the move and less involved with self-doubt and internal dialog.

as far as Tyrion discovering where Whores go... Don't whores go to Lys? Thats where Jorah's wife ended up(OH GOD I HOPE HE GETS TO GO BACK AS A SLAVE GENERAL)

Sorry guys, I skipped all of Dany and Tyrion's chapters in DwD. Who's the Tattered Prince and which side are the two dragons fighting on?

What?!? Why?? Most of us clamor for every word we can get... And I agree with Mushroomshirt, the Tyrion chapters are pretty good actually.. meeting young griff.... the trip down the rhoyne when they get lost in that supernatural fog... tyrion riding on the back of a pig...great stuff.

Dany's chapters... well, there's Daario... and more Daario, but there's also roast dornishman, and barristan selmy's awesome duel... and who can forget the first real dragon ride, live and on-camera!!!

GO BACK AND READ!

Well, Barristan Selmy's duel actually takes place at a POV of his own... but yes, I also can't understand why someone would skip chapters on a book like this. What's the point of even bother reading the others then?

Archived