I Regret Nothing (except maybe the ghost chile shots). WorldCon Reports

I am so fucking angry Kat was there and I wasn't. Kat, it's been EIGHT YEARS.

But I'm so glad you're back on the boards. I've been stalking your "Last Seen" portion of your profile for almost 2 years. (Ever since your powerpoint, :lol:)

Hi Everyone,

So, I am back in Australia, and while I am delighted to be home I miss you all terribly. While the very nature of Cons makes for a slightly distorted view of reality, I am home and had a big sleep and sobered up and I still feel exactly the same way. I cannot think of any other group than the BWB where I have so felt at home, so welcomed. To walk in to a place where people react to your arrival with such happiness is one of the greatest feelings imaginable.

It would take to long to shout out to everyone who made my con so amazing, and I would undoubtedly miss someone, so I am going to avoid that for now. But, I plan on messaging everyone at some point - might take a few weeks! I'll also try and do a bit more of a detailed con report once I have caught up on a few things back here in Oz.

There are, however, a few thank yous that need to be said. Firstly, to all the volunteers who put in so much hard work to provide the events we all got so much out of. The X's, as always, led the charge, but all the others, too. Unsurprisingly, the people behind the bar leap to mind - what an amazing job you did. But, the people who went and grabbed ice or manned the door or cleaned up or whatever -thank you. Your sacrifice of time made my experience and I owe you. Big time.

I owe a huge thank you to all the BWBers who brought one of my books. I really did agonise over whether I should bring some with me, and then worried whether I had brought too many. In the end I didn't even have any to take home for myself! The huge amount of support and encouragement I received from you all (and even the people who didn't buy one, the fact that you didn't simply laugh at me and still took an interest still meant a great deal) made all the hard work and rejections one receives as an author completely worth it. It wasn't even just the financial side, though it was incredibly generous of you to part with your hard earned cash and made my Con a lot easier, the fact that my books are in the hands of people who I care about so much is an incredible thrill. I really do hope that you enjoy the stories in there. The odds are stacked against me ever becoming a "big name" author but if that ever happens I will never forget what you all did for me and the way you have believed in me at the very start.

I will be at Loncon, but I have decided I need to work towards another US con. It will depend on finances and timing, but I really can't handle the thought that I won't see many of you again until Spokane, and I have to do something about it.

I had an incredible time, catching up with some of the people I met last year, some old time boarders who I felt like I already knew and seeing some first timers who I believe will add a huge amount to the group. The BWB is something special and I feel privileged to be a part of it. I spent high school longing for a place that I belonged and not believing I would ever find it. In the BWB, in you, I have. Thank you.

PS Frisco lies - it was a Llama EATING a goat. And my catch phrase was "I want to tell you something before I get too drunk" lol And I had lots of time to do so, because I never got drunk hahaha

This was quite the experience, people. I couldn't believe I finally met some of my bestest board. Fragile and Elder Sister: we are one and now, no one can question this. I arrived late afternoon on Thursday so I missed the meet and greet. I was in touch with ES so we went together so I could register. "Are you in the program?" I was asked. Nope, I answered. This "you don't look like you truly belong here" trend would continue that night. When I was retiring to my room for the evening, my elevator, where I was riding alone, stopped at a floor where this inebriated couple came in. I wasn't wearing my thingy. The man, who looks to be in his late sixties and from Indiana, told me "you do know that you are here while there is a convention going on!." Pfft. "Dude, I am in the convention, you just can't handle my whatever it is you can't handle" is what I told myself once I'd arrived in my room. I can never say things like that on the spot.

After registering, ES told me that a group was going out to a Mexican restaurant and to meet in the Rivercenter lobby at 7:30p.m. I showed up, together with 50,000 other BWBs. I cannot believe that a restaurant could fit us all in one long table, but they did. The only bad thing about sitting at the end of a table is not hanging out with the people at the other end of the table. I was happy to sit on the side where I met Boiled Leather and my new BFF Red Woman. The next day I went to the vendor area and then to lunch with ES, Mr. ES, Diana, Boiled Leather and Red Woman. We went to a burger place on Riverwalk. I really enjoyed my blue bacon cheeseburger.

I have had many doubts about myself vis a vis fitting in with a group of hip, younger, intelligent, long-standing George fans. I took a leap of faith and attended this con. A big reason is that I would hopefully meet George himself. I dressed as I was going to dress (OK, second outfit of choice), put on my "face" (foundation and everything. BTW I don't put on my face much at all), and showed up at the private BWB party. I thought that lots of bling and sparkles and glitter and stuff was going to be brought. I dutifully acquired a bunch of tiaras, nine year old girl fake bling (rings, hair clips, schmetterling). I really hope no one was offended by my handing these out. It was kind of when everybody is supposed to dress for Halloween at work and you are the only one who shows up dressed. Anyway, it seemed like they were well received and some of you wore them with verve, while some of you wore them with character. I was beyond thrilled to have met Leigh Bardugo. I want to take her home with me. She is the nicest, most wonderful person. She wore her tiara with much beauty. When she told me she had sold her rights to her book Shadow and Bone, which I loved, to Dreamworks, I yelled out: "SHUT UP!!!!" I had to rethink this. I acted like she was a regular person and not the awesome writer she is. I shouldn't have said shut up; I should have said: "I'm not surprised, Leigh, because your book is KICK ASS!" But again, I thought about that in my room after the whole thing was over.

I have said at various times that if I met George I would prostrate myself before him like Mary Magdalene, and sure enough, I almost did. I did sit next to him on the floor, in a semi-prostration pose, and in the smallest voice that I ever produced told him my name and where I was from. Then I forget what else...football...Gators...Tim Tebow...Florida...Fevre Dream...paddlewheel steamship races...Kentucky Derby...cruise ships..."Stop talking, you idiot!!!!" I told myself in my room. Sigh. My photo with George is among the best photos of my life. It came out like buttah!!! Thank you Fragile, for not using a flash. There is magic in lighting. It is known. I left at midnight like a pumpkin? Went to bed at 2:00a.m. (3:00am EST) and promptly woke up at 12:45pm. Wha????

I had volunteered to work as a greeter for the all-inclusive party. I loved that job and may keep it forever. We meet everybody! I spent some time with my SpamDaughter Maid of Woodlyne, who drew a sharpie black and green tattoo on my wrist, representing my Mami. I really liked that and talking with someone who I truly love like the daughter I never had. George came, George left, and I thought that was the end of George. Alas, the pumpkin came for me at 1:00a.m. Then, George and Rory came to the party and I missed the whole frakking good times that were had by those who stayed and who knew to stay. Stupid, damn pumpkin. I will never listen to you again. If I go to London, and I truly hope I do, I will stay until George returns! As God is my witness, I will never go Georgeless again!!!

My fears about not being typical were not unreasonable. What was unreasonable was thinking that it would matter. Everybody I talked to was funny, kind to me, nice, and did not tell me "you know, you are here while there's a convention going on." On the contrary, BWBs were inclusive and welcoming. I envy that core group of close friends who have been coming to the cons for a long time and have known each other for years and years. I will never be able to catch up with you. Still, you made a little room for me when I needed it. You all accepted my tiaras and made me feel good about bringing them. Some of you kept them and took them home! So thank you all for being nice to me and for letting me hang out with you. Plus I met Georggggggeeeeeee!!!!! Hugs and kisses.

Ser Cam--I am so glad you got over any initial hesitation and brought copies of your books. You are a gifted writer, and we are happy to support your hard work and talent. I hope it also goes without saying that we are also happy to count you as a friend.

Bai--I am sorry you felt out of place at the con, even for a heartbeat. You fit in beautifully both at the convention and in the BWB, so don't let any random con folk make you feel otherwise. Also, never feel self-conscious about adding sparkle to a party! You don't need tiaras and glitter to be gorgeous, but they were a ton of fun! Seriously, they were a hit of the party!

- I owe DaveAx 5 nights of uninterrupted, relaxing, soothing, sleep - pick a resort and send me the bill

I'll give you an alternative, O Baron: Come visit Philly for a few days when I'm on vacation, and we'll both stay up and greet the dawn...and then sleep till mid-afternoon.

Did anyone end up doing the Four Horsemen challenge?

Not as far as I know. We talked about driving out there for lunch on Monday, but then found out Chunky's is closed on Mondays.

Of course, with it being Labor Day, it seemed like half of San Antonio was closed on Monday.

I am so fucking angry Kat was there and I wasn't. Kat, it's been EIGHT YEARS.

But I'm so glad you're back on the boards. I've been stalking your "Last Seen" portion of your profile for almost 2 years. (Ever since your powerpoint, :lol:)

Actually it's only been SEVEN years. lern2math, lozer :rolleyes:

Just kidding. I should probably vote for Worldcon bids based on the proximity to Medieval Times, because it met every expectation I ever had an more. YELLOW.

My fears about not being typical were not unreasonable. What was unreasonable was thinking that it would matter. Everybody I talked to was funny, kind to me, nice, and did not tell me "you know, you are here while there's a convention going on." On the contrary, BWBs were inclusive and welcoming. I envy that core group of close friends who have been coming to the cons for a long time and have known each other for years and years. I will never be able to catch up with you. Still, you made a little room for me when I needed it. You all accepted my tiaras and made me feel good about bringing them. Some of you kept them and took them home! So thank you all for being nice to me and for letting me hang out with you. Plus I met Georggggggeeeeeee!!!!! Hugs and kisses.

See, you made my day because when I found out that knights from previous cons weren't getting a ceremony, when I flew out just so I could be a princess :P, I was very said until you brought me a crown. So, well done. Also, everyone has a first con. I first met Xray and Regina and others in 2006 in LA when there were a crazy number of BWB people coming; there were something like 70 people from the boards or maybe more. Anyway, I only had ~300 posts on the board at that point outside of Forum Games and it was a little overwhelming being introduced to a whole lot of people who already knew each other from the boards and or RL (since the Euro boarders are like a hive mind.) It's amazing what alcohol and hugs will do to for you.

Chicago was my first con, and it was a bit tough because I was alone, but everyone was so welcoming. :)

And this time around, it was old friends well met.

It's also amazing what having con roommates will do for you. I have not had con roommates for the last 2 I've been to. I slept well and got to leave my shit all over the place but I kind of miss crazy room situations like having 8 people in 2 adjoining rooms like we had in Denver. You end up a little more in the loop than I was this time. :P

Chicago was my first con, and it was a bit tough because I was alone, but everyone was so welcoming. :)

And this time around, it was old friends well met.

That's how it felt for me too. I'm so extremely happy to be a part of this awesome group.

I only felt a bit left out when I noticed everyone wearing princess tiaras and I couldn't get mine to stick on my head. If the BwB intends on being an inclusive group they should invest in tiaras for baldies so Lucky Pierre won't have to smash it into my scalp in order for me to rock the royal bling bling.

I miss you guys already! :crying:

Archived