Breaking Bad - Final Season - SPOILERS. The Rise of Skysenberg. (Thread 3.)

Mya Stone

Who ends an episode in the middle of a gun fight loll

One really good show.

I thought it was a great episode even BEFORE the gun fight (but, again, the White Supremacists being the "SEAL Team 6 of criminals is getting REALLY old).

I think the cliche of Hank stretching things out so the Supremacists could get there was, at first, lame. But upon further review, its sort of amazing considering how they ended the episode. We don't know EXACTLY what will happen or maybe has happened.

I know that they party-line of "its a certainty" that Hank and Gomey are both very dead is pretty entrenched... but ... consider this....

Gomey and Hank are by the truck- that truck can PROBABLY still run. If Hank jumps into the car he could conceivably speed away (with or without Gomey). That leaves Jesse sitting in the car with the Aryan Nation chasing Hank. I THINK another very plausible ending is that Hank and Walt escape (with or without Gomey) and Jesse is "taken" (but not killed) by the Supremacists. Setting up a larger story line.

Great episode though.

Still, Walter falling for the barrel thing was silly. He should at least have asked himself if that was Jesse's attempt to bait him.

I don't think it's that implausible that Walt is just off his game by that point - he fails to get Jesse to leave town, he fails to lure him out with Brock, he knows Jesse was at his house prepared to burn it down (plus he's got the whole Hank situation looming over him, among other things). Then there's (one of) his major flaws - Walt has always had his hubris.

What's going on with Jesse? Is he going to throw himself in the line of fire? Damn you, Gilligan. David Chase is impressed

My guess is Jesse runs and hides so he doesn't die while Hank and Gomie do die.

I was waiting for Gomez to kill Hank! Then the nazis showed up. Well, I suppose we can guess that Walt and his machine gun are for a final stand off with the nazi gang.

I had the same issue with the timing at first, until I realized we have no idea how much time elapsed between when Walt hung up the phone, and when he came out into the open. The editing implied real time, but it could also have been 20 minutes or more. It's perfectly in character for him to call Marie immediately afterwards, though.

Regarding the firefight - the first shot should have been a kill shot, but I can easily believe everybody missing once the excrement struck the oscillator. They looked to be about 60 feet apart from each other - that's short range, but hardly point blank. The first shot with the AR-15 should have been a kill shot - after that, it's very hard to control automatic fire, even moreso when people are shooting back and your hands are shaking from the adrenaline. There's a reason it's called 'spray and pray' - the first shot is generally on target, after that, the gun tends to go wild. I can see one of them surviving to return fire, but the other should have gone down in the first volley.

The bigger issue for me is that nobody appeared to reload once the shooting started. The AR-15 holds 30 rounds, but if they were firing at full auto, they should have emptied in about 2 seconds.

I love every single part of this episode, but I absolutely think they should have "finished" the shoot-out. I'm fully willing to eat crow upon seeing how it plays out next episode, but still. That's the third time so far this season where they've abruptly ended in a way that felt like little more than than an effort to set up a huge (but ultimately undeeded) cliffhanger.

I had the same issue with the timing at first, until I realized we have no idea how much time elapsed between when Walt hung up the phone, and when he came out into the open. The editing implied real time, but it could also have been 20 minutes or more. It's perfectly in character for him to call Marie immediately afterwards, though.

Regarding the firefight - the first shot should have been a kill shot, but I can easily believe everybody missing once the excrement struck the oscillator. They looked to be about 60 feet apart from each other - that's short range, but hardly point blank. The first shot with the AR-15 should have been a kill shot - after that, it's very hard to control automatic fire, even moreso when people are shooting back and your hands are shaking from the adrenaline. There's a reason it's called 'spray and pray' - the first shot is generally on target, after that, the gun tends to go wild. I can see one of them surviving to return fire, but the other should have gone down in the first volley.

The bigger issue for me is that nobody appeared to reload once the shooting started. The AR-15 holds 30 rounds, but if they were firing at full auto, they should have emptied in about 2 seconds.

I didn't pay too much attention, but I know a few of the assault riles had drum-magazines (or whatever they're called).

It's a tv show.

I THINK another very plausible ending is that Hank and Walt escape (with or without Gomey) and Jesse is "taken" (but not killed) by the Supremacists. Setting up a larger story line.

Could be, but someone's going to free Handcuffed!Walt, and Hank would have no incentive to do that (even if he needed another set of hands, he wouldn't trust Walt enough to free him), while the Nazis might.

I can't get over how Todd's ringtone for Walt is "She Blinded Me With Science." Todd taking in Walt's assassination request without missing a beat, nonchalantly asking "how many targets," and upon learning it's Jesse, someone he knows, saying brightly "You got it!" was awesomely creepy.

Pretty much everyone called Todd's crush on Lydia. I wonder how that will be relevant to events down the line.

What an episode. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until the shooting started.

I loved the entire scene of Walt racing to stop Jessie from burning his money.

It was so tense and Cranston was awesome going from pleading and manipulating to utter rage.

I've calmed down slightly. At least my heartrate is back to normal.

I was so conflicted watching this episode unfold. I was so furious at Walt using Andrea and Brock again, and so relieved that Hank saw right through it. Then Jesse exclaimed "bitch" to Walt, and I was happy...

Only to have myself nodding along when Walt explained how he saved Jesse repeatedly.

And then, in the last moment before the shit hit the fan, when Walt knew he was done for...in that moment, I felt truly awful for him. And that bothered me. I have been waiting for him to reap what he has sowed...and then to have it unfold just felt so wrong to me.

Part of it might be that Bryan Cranston is tremendous at conveying emotion. I don't know.

At any rate, I am resigned in my belief that both Hank and Gomie are done for. They are. There is zero way they live through this, Hank may live long enough to say something to Walt next week, but fuck if I know what it is.

Poor Marie. :(

I noticed there were no shots of Jesse once the shooting starts, while we have shots of everyone else. Relevant? Before the shooting starts, he seems to be reaching blindly for the door handle behind him, and he unlatches the door.

There was a shot of Gomie wincing in pain after the shooting starts, as if he'd been hit, but he continues shooting after.

I noticed there were no shots of Jesse once the shooting starts. Relevant?

I thought there was. He had a look of utter panic on his face.

The way I see it, it will always come down to Jesse and Walt. Always. They walk away from this in one way or another.

Could be, but someone's going to free Handcuffed!Walt, and Hank would have no incentive to do that (even if he needed another set of hands, he wouldn't trust Walt enough to free him), while the Nazis might.

There is a lot to this. First, its a looooong shot that Hank and Gomey are still alive. Especially when they are facing the greatest fighting machine since the Prussian Army, namely the meth'ed up white supremacists of the Southern U.S. Second, even if Hank gets away with Walt (and its not likely), I can see a scenario where Hank MAY get Jesse out- without Jesse he has no case against Walt. The phone call had no warrent, he needs Jesse to testify to his conversation with Walt etc. Hence, Hank COULD work with Walt to get JEsse back. Its unlikely.

I think its more story-appropriate for Hank to die and for the WS to get Walt and Jesse to cook for them.

Because nobody expects the White Supremacists.

Archived