Breaking Bad - Final Season - SPOILERS. The Rise of Skysenberg. (Thread 3.)

Mya Stone

I didn't enjoy the first half of that, that much. Or more specifically the whole Huell part, it felt very contrived and easy and basically they couldn't think of a better way to get there. The money thing was fine, I guess.

Was great once walt got in the car, though,

Didn't like the cliffhaner. Should have ended with hank and gomez, dying. Which they presumably will, quite quickly, next week.

So we had to wait two years to find out if Jesse shot Gale.

We always knew Jesse shot Gale. It was really strange that simply because the CAMERA moved, then somehow that meant Jesse hadn't killed Gale. People who thought this were overthinking it.

Brock was strangely reticent with Walt in the house, wasn't he? He knows Walt was responsible for poisoning him.

he's been that way around him from the get go. Never took to Walt. he deosn't KNOW, he's got 'Kid On TV' intuition.

The directing on this episode was fantastic, and no wonder: it was directed by Michelle MacLaren, who directed two GOT eps this year (3x07 and 3x08) and who also directed "One Minute" and "Gliding Over All."

(Michelle MacLaren is also directing two Season 4 GOT eps.)

To those complaining about the cliffhanger...

were you following the show during season 3? The season ended in a mid-scene cliffhanger of Jesse shooting the screen. And then the show was delayed for a full year. So we had to wait two years to find out if Jesse shot Gale.

That wasn't a cliffhanger though. Jesse killing Gale was never in doubt. The gun never moved that it would give the implication that Jesse missed.

Maybe that's how it works: Jesse escapes from the car in the confusion but the Nazis catch him anyway. Walt sells him to the Nazis to give them a reason to spare his life...only again, why would he only come back much later to save Jesse in the flashforward, if he leaves him to the Nazis knowing full well what his fate would be?

If Walt sells Jesse's value to the skinheads here to spare him, it might be the case where something goes wrong over time, and/ or Walt becomes needed, pressure could be put on Jesse's life/ Walt's family to flush him out later, and this could be why there's a delayed response. Maybe Jesse isn't supposed to be sold into servitude, but merely exchange a few cooking lessons for his life, which is what Lydia and the nazis keep asking from Walt. If Walt finds out that Jesse was bound to them beyond some reasonable period of lesson giving, this could be a catalyst I suppose.

I wonder how Todd's apparent infatuation with Lydia might play a part in this. I wonder if Lydia will find the skinheads and Todd's infatuation too much to bear. I think Lydia has 2 strong motivations for wanting someone else as her cook in lieu of Todd-- if he becomes aggressive about his crush, and the fact that Jesse can make a much better product. If Lydia gets different muscle, fires the skinheads and tries to secure Jesse, that would create incentive for Jack's crew to go after Jesse down the road.

If not Walt, would Jesse make the deal with Jack's crew in the wake of the shootout? Would Jesse choose to negotiate this with someone as a means of sparing his life? I don't think Jesse has a death wish exactly (though for most of this season I was thinking he might turn to suicide), but I suspect that the thought of death is not as bad as resuming the game at this point. That is, I got the impression that Jesse wouldn't come up with an idea to save his own life if it meant continuing with the business. That's part of why I think Walt would be the one to sell Jesse's "worth" to the skinheads-- especially if it's a simple arrangement of cook lessons and not some sort of servitude.

What possible motivation would Walt have to come back to save Jesse now? He was already going to have him killed (any foreshadowing that he wants Jesse killed painlessly because "he's like family"?) and that was before Jesse threatened his money and he knew that Jesse was working with Hank. So I find it hard to imagine a scenario where he is concerned with what the skinheads would do to him after they no longer need him - torturing him slowly isn't their MO anyway.

Jesse has to be the survivor along with Walt, right? Even if Hank has survived the gunfire this far, the skinheads have to kill him, they have no possible reason to let him live. And having both Jesse and Hank die leaves a plot vacuum - the adventures of Walt and the skinheads isn't enough of an ending after Jesse and Hank have been the main characters up to this season.

Wow, I loved that episode. It was so tense at the end. Didn't mind the cliffhanger as we'll know the result next week. Weird to see anyone disappointed by it. I also enjoyed the familiarity between Jesse and Walt as they fought. When things go sour they sometimes fight like Calvin and Hobbes. Funny that.

I was on edge the entire time, as Walt called in the Nazi family and Hank/Gomie/Jesse were taking their sweet ass time dealing with the arrest. I believe Hank severely underestimated Walt's resources, thinking he could just have a side investigation bringing him in with only Gomez as his backup. Since the viewer was aware of the danger Lydia, her buyers, and Todd's family represented, Hank in hindsight should have called in the DEA for backup as soon as they had Walt admitting to murder and poisoning Brock. Now, with them alone, that evidence dies with Hank if the shootout doesn't turn out well.

I think that Marie will play a big role in next weeks episode in finally revealing to the public that Walt is Heisenberg. I fully expect Hank and Gomez to go down in the blaze of glory early. That leaves Marie as the person that spills the beans about Walt.

I also, don't really understand the problem with ending on a cliffhanger. It worked for Thomas Hardy in September of 1872, and it has been working well in writing ever since. I know that we all groan at them, but psychologically they are still just as effective as they ever were. Does anyone remember who shot JR? I bet a lot more remember that he was shot.

Archived