The Expanse optioned for Television Series

Brandon Stark

The SFX stuff I'm really eager to see is

The protomolecule. When I read it it's basically a bunch of Gieger meets Alex Gray psychedelic fractal stuff.

Second trailer was cool, even if 2/3 of it was recycled from the first one. I guess the perk of this being pushed back to winter is that we get Nemesis in a couple weeks, then 6 months later the series, and then another book next summer. Works for me!

ETA

Agree on D'Onofrio making a good Amos. Of course

I can kind of only picture him in Men In Black, so maybe he could also do all the protomolecule scenes.

• 1 month later...

I had to watch it on my phone but holy shit that looked badass. I think they might just pull this off!! :eek:

Agreed. That was awesome.

Makes me wonder how closely they will be following the books, though. Not that it matters a whole lot.

Still not totally convinced by Holden (I've always imagined someone as charismatic as Shepard from Mass Effect), but now I think that he might pull it off.

And Miller looks crazy with his hair, I can't wait.

Still not totally convinced by Holden (I've always imagined someone as charismatic as Shepard from Mass Effect), but now I think that he might pull it off.

And Miller looks crazy with his hair, I can't wait.

I was skeptical on Thomas Jane as Miller, but I really like him in that trailer.

Not so sure about the guy playing Holden.

Well, he seems to be the character a lot of people hate/find annoying in the books. The actor has the kind of look that could emulate that :P

Regarding Miller

they could just have him arrive as a ghost and use him a lot more in the show? I'd be happy if he stuck around though as I liked the character a lot

@Relic, you should really spoiler tag that... Not cool.

Looking good. I'm still curious as to whether it'll be an amalgamation of books 1 and 2 or its own thing?

I think we'll just see the PoV of Avasarala during the events of season 1/book 1. I think it's a good thing to have an insight on what was happening at the UN at the same time.

Or that was what I thought during the first trailers. Now, with this one, you're right that some of her dialogues seem to be taken from book 2. Weird.

Red Snow - you should probably edit your quoting of Relic's post too.

I've finished the first book and am part way through the second. So, my thoughts on the casting (not having seen the trailers yet - I can't watch them at work)...

Alex looks perfect to me. Naomi looks good too (maybe 2-3 years younger than I picture her, but that's fine).

Holden - I agree with those that said Thomas Jane looks just how they picture Holden. And that Tahmoh Penikett (sp?), while not quite exeactly as I pictured him, could have played the role perfectly. Steven Strait is definitely a bit on the young side, but I think could be fine.

Avasarala is great casting. Definitely younger than I picture her (and while she's 63, I think she's probably had a bit of work done and looks far younger than that). I envision the character as looking like a sweet, little old lady who happens to swear like a mother-fucker. Her voice is perfect, though. So not exactly as I picture her, but a different take that is still excellent.

Miller - Thomas Jane is fine. As I said, looks more like Holden to me, but can still pull this role off well.

Amos. Hmmm... no. Agree completely with what everyone else has said. My dream/impossible/never-going-to-happen casting would be Jason Statham (for the look, if not the voice). I picture the character as something like the the guy from the "Hitman" video games (which I've never actually played) - or the guy from the cover of the "Lord of The Fallen" game. In other words - a big, bald, scowling, scary dude - not a pretty boy who looks like he stepped out of the pages of a catalog. I guess I just need to accept that the show character is very different than the one from the books. So be it.

Oh - and Chad Coleman is another that I think would be fine in the role, but is decidedly not how I pictured him.

I don't know if it was explicitly stated in the books that he's black and I just missed it. But I pictured him as a mid 50's white dude with silver hair. And somebody who isn't physically imposing or even particularly competent. But he's a genius tactically and an amazing commander.

In fact, my wife and I saw Ted 2 the other night. And I think the lawyer in that is pretty much exactly how I picture Fred. :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0805476/?ref_=tt_cl_t11

This is all looking a heck of a lot better than I expected. Really exciting to see this coming to fruition. I hope it is a success enough that they're able to keep making it. Would love to see what they make of things beyond the first book.

Archived