Either me or Guy Fieri is an example of Manichean Evil

Sci-2

Right now I am digging the BBC show "Master Cheft: Professional." It's like Top Chef, except with a 2 Michelin-star head judge and where they focus on cooking skills, create challenges based on classical cooking techniques, offer blunt but fair critiques on the cooking, and ignore personality conflicts. It's so much goodness. I've learned a lot just by watching the show. I still can't prepare a pigeon for roasting, but at least now I know some of the steps I need to do (pluck the feather without ripping the skin, take out the wish bone, burn off the feather stubs, truss it). The show is awesome. I love watching Michel Rous Junior make French dishes with names that I can't pronounce.

I love that show. That and Great British Menu are the only two cooking programmes I watch.

N

Right now I am digging the BBC show "Master Cheft: Professional." It's like Top Chef, except with a 2 Michelin-star head judge and where they focus on cooking skills, create challenges based on classical cooking techniques, offer blunt but fair critiques on the cooking, and ignore personality conflicts. It's so much goodness. I've learned a lot just by watching the show. I still can't prepare a pigeon for roasting, but at least now I know some of the steps I need to do (pluck the feather without ripping the skin, take out the wish bone, burn off the feather stubs, truss it). The show is awesome. I love watching Michel Rous Junior make French dishes with names that I can't pronounce.

now this sounds fucking cool.

my alltime favorite cooking show was great chefs of the world on the discovery channel.

now this sounds fucking cool.

It is pretty awesome, indeed. Contestants range from fresh out of culinary school kids and head chefs at smaller restaurants with 10+ years of experience. DVR it.

Here be BBC America broadcast schedule: http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule/

i grew up on martin yan, julia childe, pepin, great chefs of the world. those were good shows. they discussed food with personality, class and reality.

Yes they were, and they came across with the feeling that they enjoyed what they did and even added some humor. That is lacking in the shows of today. Whoever came up with the idea of competitive cooking should be <insert punishment here>.

Yes they were, and they came across with the feeling that they enjoyed what they did and even added some humor. That is lacking in the shows of today. Whoever came up with the idea of competitive cooking should be <insert punishment here>.

There's still shows just about cooking today. Although they are much harder to find.

I love watching actually cooking shows, but reality shows where "eat this roach" or "fuck this dog" are replaced by "cook this meal" are fucking stupid and I hate them.

But apparently popular.

I think honestly most of the recent "Food TV explosion" is less about actually cooking something and more about watching some new sport that just happens to involve cooking.

What's not to like? He's a little scary at first, but once you get to know him he's not so bad. I love the little dance and song he does:

"They call me Heat Miser,

Whatever I touch,

Starts to melt in my clutch,

I'm too much!"

Wait a minute, that's not a little puppet, that's not the Heat Miser, quick chance the channel before its to late

Hell's Bells! You put your finger on exactly who Fieri reminds me of!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if we get the best of US cookery shows in the UK. There just seems to be a great deal of loudness, huge gross looking piles of food and little culinary skill. In the UK most tv chefs are very much chefs first and personalities second (apart from nligella, the little minx). But Heston, Ramsey etc regularly make great looking food. And great British menu and master chef the proffesionals are proper competitions.

anthony is very cool.

i call him anthony because he prefers that to being called chef. twice i have cooked for or with him. and both times afterwards much booze was consumed. he is for real. the man you see on the show is the man you see in person. he is genuine and just likes food and culture.

I loved his show No Reservations. Talk about having the greatest job in the world.

I'm not sure if we get the best of US cookery shows in the UK. There just seems to be a great deal of loudness, huge gross looking piles of food and little culinary skill. In the UK most tv chefs are very much chefs first and personalities second (apart from nligella, the little minx). But Heston, Ramsey etc regularly make great looking food. And great British menu and master chef the proffesionals are proper competitions.

I made the mistake of watching the American Masterchef once. What a horrible show.

I'm sure Ramsay is pleased to hear his personality doesn't come through in any of his shows.

We have at least two channels dedicated to food, and there are some gems among them.

I'm sure Ramsay is pleased to hear his personality doesn't come through in any of his shows.

We have at least two channels dedicated to food, and there are some gems among them.

ramsay has multiple michellin stars, being a dick doesn't reduce the quality of his food, his personality is secondary to his cooking, in a way that the personalities that we get from the us in the uk (ina garten, guy fieri, adam richmand etc) do not, i don't dispute that the states has great chefs, i doubt that personality is as important in the uk based on what i have seen on the food network.

If we compare the two Masterchef series, then yes, you definitely see the distinction. Or even, Top Chef compared to Masterchef Professional, shows a distinct lack of focus on culinary skills. The competitions in Top Chef are more gimmicky, and they paid no attention to classical skills or basic techniques.

I generally despise all the cooking competition shows I've ever seen, as they seem to be more about "cooking as a sport" with the attendant faux-drama and not about, you know, cooking or the learning there of.

But that may partially be a reflection of what I want out of a cooking show.

Archived