It's all fun and fashion until someone gets hurt.

Elder Sister

Good ideas...I think the last time I wore 2 pairs of tights was when I used to be required to wear a skirt for a middle school uniform in uniformly cold & windy San Francisco. I'll try that out. I have some tights that I got through a retailer that were manufactured in Italy. When I looked at the package to see who made them, because I loved the feel and stretchiness, the patterns on the designer's website were all....er....nothing I could ever pull off. Very loud, very neon, whereas I'm just going for a navy herringbone or grey polka dots or other relatively conservative patterns.

Ep: That's a very pretty dress. I think you've got a lot to work with.

Tights and skirts: I love them, but there is a very short window of opportunity here. I'm in it right now. By Christmas, it's too cold. By Febrauary, I'm wearing tights under my wool pants to keep warm!

I am currently looking for the cheaper alternative to this dress. I love this look with the scarf, tights, and boots, but am not willing to pay $128 for this dress.

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/shadow+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks#InfoTabs

I will usually go through my Sundance catalog and tear out the outfits I like and attempt to replicate them in my closet with what I already have. Does anyone else do this?

Sundance clothes often look great in the photos, but do not fit just right. I have made some dresses that look like them, but finding the right material is difficult. I have to go into the city to find the right fabrics.

maybe just a wrap or shawl of some sort?

Not this exactly, but something like it?

I take a large shawl and tie one end of it in the back for a quick non jacket. I also have sewn two scarves or shawls together halfway, and then tack what would be the sleeves. Works well for dressy stuff when everyone is going to wear black.

I have retired from a career that required suits. I kept some suits, and gave away the rest to a NFP who works with women entering the job market.

I have jean and slacks, blouses and sweaters. But I have only a few dresses I purchased years ago. They still work.

This is my question: where do I go to buy a nice dress that is not so matronly I feel ready for the rest home? I wear a size 12 in a dress. I have 3 black sheaths. I am sick of black.

Sometimes I luck out when I am with my daughter and find a dress that is snug enough under the arms and long enough. Not brushing the ground, but just at the knee or so. But that is rare.

When I go to a department store like Macy's or Nordstorms, there are juniors and then women's. The women's clothes are cut so generously I feel like I have a sack on. Coldwater Creek has gone matronly on me. Talbott's is all about sororities.

Is there an on-line store someone can recommend? There is a store that advertises itself as promoting as modesty. They had some okay dresses, but meh. I wrote them asking their demographic -- 20s and 30s. I am in my 50s.

I have kept in shape. But I do not want to look like I am dressing too young.

Any help?

Just for Nordstrom in particular, what department are you looking at? BP is juniors and Encore is women's / plus sizes, yes, but then there are the others. Point of View, Savvy, Individualist, and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, even aside from St John and the other designer areas.

Have you tried, say, Brooks Brothers? Saks? Neiman Marcus? Don't forget the effect of good tailoring, too, if you find something that's close-but-not-quite.

My first thought is Land's End. I buy my work dresses there, because it's usually relatively conservative but they have gotten a little more stylish in the last few years. I would say 'less matronly' but that's not completely fair, because it usually looks good enough that I get compliments from my students. Hit on miss on fitting when buying online; everything runs large.

Merging this with the fashion thread.

I personally like Garnethill and Sundance for dresses, and I sometimes do J. Jill. I snag my stuff when it's on sale.

Today I have on a favorite Sundance silk dress (I got it for $28) and a bluejean vest along with footless black tights and flats. This is a bizarre outfit, but I like it. :)

If you go to Banana Republic and find a pant size that fits you, I've found that they're very consistent with sizing, allowing me to buy pants online, something I would normally never do at most stores.

I personally like Garnethill and Sundance for dresses, and I sometimes do J. Jill. I snag my stuff when it's on sale.

Today I have on a favorite Sundance silk dress (I got it for $28) and a bluejean vest along with footless black tights and flats. This is a bizarre outfit, but I like it. :)

It sounds really cute, actually

If you go to Banana Republic and find a pant size that fits you, I've found that they're very consistent with sizing, allowing me to buy pants online, something I would normally never do at most stores.

That's funny, because I have 3 different sizes of BR pants and I won't order pants online from any Gap brand even if they have made most of the pants I own. :dunno:

This is my question: where do I go to buy a nice dress that is not so matronly I feel ready for the rest home? I wear a size 12 in a dress. I have 3 black sheaths. I am sick of black. Sometimes I luck out when I am with my daughter and find a dress that is snug enough under the arms and long enough. Not brushing the ground, but just at the knee or so. But that is rare. When I go to a department store like Macy's or Nordstorms, there are juniors and then women's. The women's clothes are cut so generously I feel like I have a sack on. Coldwater Creek has gone matronly on me. Talbott's is all about sororities.

My requirements for dresses sound somewhat similar to yours (although you might disagree when you look at the links!) But I also struggle to find dresses that come to my knees that aren't matronly. And yet I am far from my 20s so I don't want to dress too young. Two dresses I have found at Macy's in recent years that work for me and are still available are the following:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-dress-sleeveless-pleated-a-line?ID=536330&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DCalvin%20Klein%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D106%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D54

This dress is one Macy's has offered consistently for several years now. They seem to rotate the colors offered with Currant being the new color for the fall. The blue one is a real vibrant blue and a great color and was new this summer.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-dress-cap-sleeve-belted-textured-a-line?ID=636938&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DAnne%20Klein%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D39%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D15

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-dress-cap-sleeve-graphic-print-belted-a-line?ID=930090&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DAnne%20Klein%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D39%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D23

The dress in the above 2 links is one that has been offered in a variety of colors and fabrics this year. I got it in kelly green this summer. Its also offered in a purple through a different link as well as several different prints.

• 2 weeks later...

So in my post-Halloween glee, I bought space leggings from H&M for $8 for my inevitable Ms. Frizzle costume next year. Problem is, my roommate then alerted me to this site. Someone please pull me back from the ledge, because I'm seriously close to buying these at some absurd price imported from Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

So I hardly ever post in this thread, cos for various reasons I only tend to buy clothes about once every two years, but this weekend I guess the dam cracked when I randomly got through the post a catalogue for this place - something about those weird cuts and patterns compelled me to OMG BUY EVERYTHING and I'm dead excited for when they turn up next week (OK, not quite everything, but this dress and this dress and some leggings and then some boots that go with leggings and that's pretty much my entire entertainment budget blown for the next two months)...

Archived