Liam Cunningham's Davos "Secret"

Deric Bonbarrion

I've always considered him a dark horse candidate for AAR, since he was reborn from smoke and salt after the Blackwater. Now I wonder if that theory might not hold water...

I have a similar suspicion

Yes! Davos as Azor Ahai.

He is one of the truly noble characters, although somehow I don't see him going home to his wife after years away and saying: "Hi honey, um, hows it going....? Well anyways, I need to plunge a sword through your heart in order to save humanity..."

But seriously, I think GRRM told him that Davos died and was reborn in the Blackwater and he will be a major savior figure along with, believe it or not, the Ironborn who will be the biggest heroes of the whole series when the Deep Ones go against the others and take the wights away from them. Away from the slavery of the Ofhers and to the thralldom of the Deep Ones below.

Davos is a watery Ironborny Jesus. But not Azor Ahai.

When his comment came out, it made me thing that Davos would turn his back on Stannis, either because he would be repulsed by his actions and no longer believed in him (e.g. burning of Shireen) or because he would be tempted by another offer.

The ending of season 5 kinda crushed the idea for me.

But seriously, I think GRRM told him that Davos died and was reborn in the Blackwater and he will be a major savior figure along with, believe it or not, the Ironborn who will be the biggest heroes of the whole series when the Deep Ones go against the others and take the wights away from them. Away from the slavery of the Ofhers and to the thralldom of the Deep Ones below.

Davos is a watery Ironborny Jesus. But not Azor Ahai.

Are you trying to tell us that Jesus wasn't born amidst smoke and salt while a red star bled? Next you'll be saying he never woke dragons from stone. ;)

But you make an interesting point about the Blackwater. Smoke and salt. We just need the red star bleeding and Davos is AAR as so many are apparently thinking.

I don't see the Ironborn following Davos. No one KNOWS that he was reborn in the Blackwater. So it makes more sense for the humble, honest, loyal guy from Flea Bottom to be the savior and nobody knows it, including Davos. Davos is a bit like Dunk, just with more self-confidence and fewer fingers.

When his comment came out, it made me thing that Davos would turn his back on Stannis, either because he would be repulsed by his actions and no longer believed in him (e.g. burning of Shireen) or because he would be tempted by another offer.

The ending of season 5 kinda crushed the idea for me.

How about this:

Mel decides to burn Mance's son. Someone reveals that Jon switched the babies, smug in thinking he outsmarted Mel. To everyone's horror she burns the only other person there who has king's blood But Shireen's burning doesn't work, or something else comes up and they need more king's blood later, so the decision is made to burn Rickon. Davos won't let them.

It's a cinch that whatever the circumstances surrounding the sacrifice of Shireen, Davos isn't present...because there's no way he'd let it happen. If he can't save Shireen, he will save Rickon.

But you make an interesting point about the Blackwater. Smoke and salt. We just need the red star bleeding and Davos is AAR as so many are apparently thinking.

Well, Davos is present when Melisandre gives birth to a shadow baby to kill Penrose and birth normally involves blood. Melisandre is undeniably "red" and she wears a ruby that could be likened to a star. And if you don't like that one then; Soon after Davos' return to Dragonstone Melisandre is using leeches to literally 'bleed' Edric Storm.

And there are even further out there theories about Melisandre being Shiera Seastar's daughter that would support the above.

I dunno, it makes as much sense as any other AA theory.

EDIT - the Comet and the death of at least one High Septon happens semi-near to Davos' rebirth... but I don't think the time line matches up favorably for those.

It could well be something that happened in Dance but I also think it could be something that will happen in the future... So I don't really know what I think about that comment. But I'm sure it'll be awesome because it's Ser Onion after all! \o/

• 2 weeks later...

My fave character. Take note he said it's a secret for something that happens to him halfway through book 6 and it's "cool". He also described the character as this lateral thinking diplomat more than anything.

One idea: I think he somehow will have to make a hard choice with Stannis and end up the one to restore House Stark in Winterfell. He'd be the perfect guy to kill both Roose and Stannis in my opinion. We'd never expect it; he finally reaches the point where he has to do something about Stannis. Then he'll actually run WF with Rickon at his side as the Lord.

Or another idea: Maybe in Jon's interim, he'll keep things in-tact upon a return to the Wall. Stannis will be killed by the time he's back and Davos will somehow have to kill one of the WWs with Longclaw.

I just see him as the type of character I could see killing one of the more antagonistic oriented ones. Out of necessity and badassery.

Archived