Doctor Who: Grand Theft TARDIS

Derfel Cadarn

That's the normal explanation - except that Morbius is clearly winning the game at that point, so going simply by what is shown in the episode (rather than by the subsequent ret-con), those should be images of the Doctor, not Morbius.

True within the confines of that one story, but given the overall situation, I don't seen how any other explanation is possible.

Another suggestion is that the images are of the different incarnations of the Other, who according to the novel Lungbarrow was later reincarnated as the Doctor. However, most of Lungbarrow seems to have been rendered non-canon and neither the Doctor nor Morbius express any surprise at the images (AFAIK), which seems to rule that out.

Discussion of Doctor Who continuity does require the big picture to be looked at and, occasionally, things within the episodes themselves have to be disregarded (like the Second Doctor's, "We can live forever, barring accidents," statement and the Eighth Doctor's 'human mother' reference). I think the Morbius images thing has to fall into that category.

True within the confines of that one story, but given the overall situation, I don't seen how any other explanation is possible.

My preferred explanation is that the Doctor is cheating - making up imaginary earlier incarnations to stave off defeat.

occasionally, things within the episodes themselves have to be disregarded (like the Second Doctor's, "We can live forever, barring accidents," statement and the Eighth Doctor's 'human mother' reference).

Being able to live forever on Gallifrey might be virtually true, if not quite literally. Presumably they have incredibly advanced medical technology independently of regeneration, and for most, little in the way of stress; I don't see why they couldn't live for thousands of years between regeneration. They were able to give the Minyans actual immortality, in a process that's referred to as regeneration but appears to be more of a rejuvenation than the radical change of true regeneration. It doesn't seem implausible that the role of President of the entire history of the entire universe would be rather taxing and drastically shorten life expectancy, which would explain Borusa's actions. And obviously the Doctor subjects himself to far more physical and mental stress than other Time Lords on a regular basis, and without access to Gallifreyan medical facilities.

Has the human mother thing actually been contradicted in the new series?

My preferred explanation is that the Doctor is cheating - making up imaginary earlier incarnations to stave off defeat.

Being able to live forever on Gallifrey might be virtually true, if not quite literally. Presumably they have incredibly advanced medical technology independently of regeneration, and for most, little in the way of stress; I don't see why they couldn't live for thousands of years between regeneration. They were able to give the Minyans actual immortality, in a process that's referred to as regeneration but appears to be more of a rejuvenation than the radical change of true regeneration. It doesn't seem implausible that the role of President of the entire history of the entire universe would be rather taxing and drastically shorten life expectancy, which would explain Borusa's actions. And obviously the Doctor subjects himself to far more physical and mental stress than other Time Lords on a regular basis, and without access to Gallifreyan medical facilities.

I'm not a Dr. Who historian, but the woman from "The End of Time" who was with the Time Lords I always assumed to be the doctor's mother, which would make her Gallifreyan if true, but its complete conjecture on my part.

The Doctor at the beginning if The Impossible Astronaut says he's 1100 (i think) giving a 200 yar gap. But later episodes have him claiming ro be 1000. Moffat claims the Doctor is making up his age as he had no real way to measure it. The 2nd Doctor's age of 450 was intended to reflect his regeneration, i.e knocking off a few centuries.

Eta Romana's mentions of the Doctor's age in her forst episode are maybe the most accurate.

I'm not a Dr. Who historian, but the woman from "The End of Time" who was with the Time Lords I always assumed to be the doctor's mother, which would make her Gallifreyan if true, but its complete conjecture on my part.

Whoever she was, she was present on Gallifrey at the end of the Time War; I'm not sure that's conclusive proof she's Gallifreyan. Though personally I much prefer the Looms anyway.

Yes. In Journey's End the Doctor tells Donna (after the Doctor/Donna thing) that a Time Lord/human cross-breed has never existed before, and would be inherently unstable.

The typical fan explanations are either that the Eighth Doctor absorbed the human blood he was being transfused with during his regeneration to become partly human (and the 'mother' stuff was a joke designed to confuse the Master; this is explicitly stated in one of the comics but of course the canonicity of that is questionable etc); or that the Doctor's mother was either a former human who had become a Time Lord (though this contradicted the Cartmel Masterplan which would have had Ace become the first human Time Lord, but that was never canon anyway) or a Time Lord who had decided to become human during a regeneration (as Romana had toyed with becoming an alien) and then given birth to the Doctor. The latter would be semantically true, but not actually true.

The consensus seems to be that the Doctor was BSing, or if it was true it was true for the Eighth alone and none of the incarnations before or after. The Doctor's mother being on the High Council of Time Lords heavily suggests that she was Gallifreyan in origin.

Whoever she was, she was present on Gallifrey at the end of the Time War; I'm not sure that's conclusive proof she's Gallifreyan. Though personally I much prefer the Looms anyway.

The Looms are sadly done and dusted. The Doctor talked about having a father and a mother (regardless of origin) in the 1996 TV movie and he's talked about having children (including tending to an infant child of his) since then. We've also seen the Master as a child and the Doctor talking about having a childhood as well. If you accept that the novels are set in a parallel universe, obviously that explanation can be true for there, but not for the TV show.

Yes. In Journey's End the Doctor tells Donna (after the Doctor/Donna thing) that a Time Lord/human cross-breed has never existed before, and would be inherently unstable.

There's never been a Time Lord/human metacrisis before; that's not necessarily the same thing as a cross-breed. I don't think that's enough to rule out the Doctor being half human when the TV movie is so emphatic about it.

The Doctor's mother being on the High Council of Time Lords heavily suggests that she was Gallifreyan in origin.

Either that, or it heavily suggests that there was something unusual about her (the High Council is more likely to consist of the exceptional than the most average), and her ability to appear outside the Time Lock is extremely strong evidence that she's not a regular Time Lord. And her non-Gallifreyan origins might be a secret. And this is assuming she is his mother at all, which may have been the writer's intention but was deliberately not explicitly stated.

The Looms are sadly done and dusted. The Doctor talked about having a father and a mother (regardless of origin) in the 1996 TV movie and he's talked about having children (including tending to an infant child of his) since then. We've also seen the Master as a child and the Doctor talking about having a childhood as well.

Lungbarrow was written to work with the TV movie; the parents referred to there would have been a flash of the Other's memory, not the Doctor's own (he is rather confused about his identity post-regeneration). Children can be adopted, the post-looming period can be referred to as childhood irrespective of apparent physical age, and different houses could loom their cousins at different starting ages (though I seem to recall reading somewhere that the glimpse of the Master as a child wasn't intended to be literal).

I recently moved and had to switch my cable provider, and I tried to watch some Top Gear the other day only to realize my new cable package doesn't include BBC America...! Oh noes. :( Need to figure something out before Nov 23!

Matt Smith is in a wig for the most recent trailer, isn't he?

I didn't notice but it would make sense. He's had a buzz cut over the last few months for the Ryan Gosling movie he's in. So I guess he's using a wig to film the 50th anniversary and Christmas specials.

The only thing I remember them calling them each other was when 1st called them the Dandy, and the Clown in the Three Doctors, but I have not seen the Five Doctors in many years.

ETA: I didn't see the 2nd, 7th or 8th doctors until I went back at the screen shots (well not the 8th, you don't see him well in the shot) and then rewatched it again.

I am watching "Remembrance of the Daleks" I happened to look up something, and realized that today is the 25th anniversary of the its last part, at the start of the 25 season. In it ( if you don't know) the go back to '63 and it has a lot of history of the show, as well as a tease on BBC saying a new show sci fi series Doc....then the sound fades out.

Kind of really Geeky/ Cool moment. I wish I a pint to lift.

And yes that is Joseph Marcell aka Geoffrey the butler from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in it as John.

Archived