Doctor Who: Grand Theft TARDIS

Derfel Cadarn

I am watching "Remembrance of the Daleks" I happened to look up something, and realized that today is the 25th anniversary of the its last part, at the start of the 25 season. In it ( if you don't know) the go back to '63 and it has a lot of history of the show, as well as a tease on BBC saying a new show sci fi series Doc....then the sound fades out.

Kind of really Geeky/ Cool moment. I wish I a pint to lift.

And yes that is Joseph Marcell aka Geoffrey the butler from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in it as John.

Feeling old. Remembrance of the Daleks is the story that made me a Doctor Who fan.

Also, the writer of Remembrance of the Daleks is Ben Aaronovitch, who is now writing the urban fantasy Rivers of London series, which is doing really well.

Feeling old. Remembrance of the Daleks is the story that made me a Doctor Who fan.

Also, the writer of Remembrance of the Daleks is Ben Aaronovitch, who is now writing the urban fantasy Rivers of London series, which is doing really well.

Gosh, if you feel old, I must be ancient!!!

(ps you were born on my dad's birthday)

I am 10 years older then you, and the ep is before my time. I believe I was around 9 or 10, and was staying at my great-grandmothers when I happened to find Tom Baker on PBS. It was a couple years later that I found it on my local channel and watched every week Sat nite for then next 4 or 5 years.

Thats how I found Blakes 7 too.

• 2 weeks later...

The Missing Episode rumours are getting delightfully nutty. Now it's been suggested that four episodes of The Dalek's Master Plan have turned up independently of Phillip Morris' efforts: episode 4 (which famously went walk-about IIRC), 11-12 (apparently stuck together), and most bizarrely of all, The Feast of Steven. While I'm certain someone's taking the piss here, I'm trying to think of ways The Feast of Steven could have survived, short of someone tampering with a time machine:

- Someone at the BBC nicked the master tape sometime during 1965-67, rather than wiping it.

- Someone at the BBC made a film copy and never wrote it down (i.e. the paperwork's wrong), then kept that copy for themselves.

- Someone at home used their brand new (and rare) video recording technology (perhaps they'd got it for Christmas) to record the Christmas Episode.

Of course, whoever did any of these things would have had to then lose the copy, or die without telling anybody. It's a near-impossible scenario, of course.

Video tape was really expensive, so I don't think a master tape being stolen would have gone unnoticed. But while Feast of Steven was never offered for sale overseas, it doesn't seem implausible that after making telerecordings of every one of the previous 96 episodes, and every episode afterwards till it became obsolete, Feast was also filmed by default. And I don't believe we know exactly where the other surviving DMP episodes originated. And it's plausible that all the publicity over the Enemy and Web returns made people realise that items in their film collection were officially missing. Still, it does seem a bit unlikely.

Fucking A.

The minisode for The Day of the Doctor is something that is going to make many millions of Doctor Who fans very happy indeed :D

McGann! The regeneration! The Sisterhood of Karn! Hurt!

Moffat clearly wrote this specifically to trigger collective continuity nerdgasms amongst the entire fandom. Nicely done.

Also:

If the Sisterhood triggered the regeneration artificially and interfered with it, does that mean it doesn't count, and thus why Hurt isn't the 'Ninth Doctor'?

And:

I believe they just formally canonised the Big Finish audio range :)

If the Sisterhood triggered the regeneration artificially and interfered with it, does that mean it doesn't count, and thus why Hurt isn't the 'Ninth Doctor'?

Except that Troughton's regeneration into Pertwee was similarly artificial (he was even given a choice of faces), yet Pertwee was still the Third Doctor.

Didn't the Sisterhood use a totally different method of regeneration using the elixirs, though? Like the Minyan system, it may not count towards the Doctor's numbering/total lives if it was an incarnation created by non-Time Lord means.

Archived