Scott Lynch’s The Republic of Thieves.. SPOILERS

Howdyphillip

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/112910701338/with-thorns-cover-now-circulating-is-it-safe-to

With Thorn's cover now circulating, is it safe to assume we can expect the book to be out before the year is up?

That’s the plan.

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/112900975263/are-the-titles-of-books-5-through-7-still-the

Are the titles of books 5 through 7 still The Ministry of Necessity, The Mage and the Master Spy, and Inherit the Night, or have they changed?

THE MINISTRY OF NECESSITY and INHERIT THE NIGHT are 100% solid. I have begun to reconsider THE MAGE AND THE MASTER SPY, because there has been a tiny bit of thematic shift since that portion of the story was conceived, and while I am fond of it as a general title my esteemed girlfriend is not so, and she is wise (and I am decreasingly fond of it as a Gentleman Bastard title). So with that one volume there might be a deviation from the original plan.

I wouldn't count on a release date because of what Amazon says. Lynch has announced that he is close, but it isn't ready not very long ago. He would have to announce completion sometime in the next month or so to make a September release date.

Amazon.co.uk is now saying also September 17th. Here is the new blurb:

The new Locke Lamora novel! Locke and Jean find themselves sucked into the horror of war. Will things ever be the same again?

With 50,000 copies sold of The Republic of Thieves and with praise from the likes of Joe Abercrombie and George RR Martin the saga of the Gentleman Bastard has become a favourite and key part of the fantasy landscape. And now Locke Lamora, thief, con-man, pirate, political deceiver must become a soldier.

A new chapter for Locke and Jean and finally the war that has been brewing in the Kingdom of the Marrows flares up and threatens to capture all in its flames.

And all the while Locke must try to deal with the disturbing rumours about his past revealed in The Republic of Thieves. Fighting a war when you don't know the truth of right and wrong is one thing. Fighting a war when you don't know the truth of yourself is quite another. Particularly when you've never been that good with a sword anyway...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thorn-Emberlain-GOLLANCZ-S-F/dp/0575077050/

• 2 weeks later...

New interview.

Gollancz has basically hinted/commited to a 2015 release, so we have our fingers crossed. And unless I get hit by a bus, I’m very confident that it’s going to get a very late 2015 release. Late Autumn. I don’t know if it will be October or November. But late Autumn.

It’s not the one year gap I wanted since Republic of Thieves, but two years compared to five or six? Or seven or eight? I will keep on ratcheting it down and I promise to do better next time.

There’s two novellas I’ve owed Subterranean Press for ages and ages. They’re Locke and Jean stories that will fit in between Republic of Thieves and Thorn of Emberlain. There’s another untitled novella, which, if Subterranean goes for it, is a Zamira Drakasha story. I’ve known I wanted to do one, but I didn’t have an idea to go on until a couple months ago it sprang into my head.

And there’s another novel called Untitled Lynch #1 that no one gets to know about. I read a bit of it at ReaderCon 2012 and swore everyone who heard to secrecy, but that’s as close as I’ve come to talking about it. That will be the next project after Thorn of Emberlain is handed in. Otherwise it is all Thorn of Emberlain all the time.

With Lynch I take they view that it's not official until I'm holding the book in my hands.

Hahaha, well in any case, it is nice to see it may be released fairly soon. It feels like "Republic of Thieves" really hasn't been out for that long, or perhaps it's just my age showing.

Interesting. I remember the old rumors that he wasn't finishing The Republic of Thieves because he was too busy playing WoW. People who were supposedly "in the know" responded by saying how wrong and offensive that was. It turns out WoW did play a role, though of course it wasn't the root of the problem.

Good interview, as Lynch's interviews always tend to be.

Interesting. I remember the old rumors that he wasn't finishing The Republic of Thieves because he was too busy playing WoW. People who were supposedly "in the know" responded by saying how wrong and offensive that was. It turns out WoW did play a role, though of course it wasn't the root of the problem.

Good interview, as Lynch's interviews always tend to be.

WoW was either a contributing factor in the dissolution of my first marriage or the reason we stayed together as long as we did. Depends on perspective I suppose. :lol: So I can see how that could suck you in and away from publishing.

• 2 weeks later...

WoW was either a contributing factor in the dissolution of my first marriage or the reason we stayed together as long as we did. Depends on perspective I suppose. :lol: So I can see how that could suck you in and away from publishing.

As a recovering player of WoW (from the Beta until two and a half years ago), I understand how it can suck the very life force and will to do anything else...especially compounded by depression.

Looking back on it...(for me) gaming was a lousy attempt at self-medicating. The mild serotonin rush was just enough to make it addictive.

Even if Orion's doubling down on the September date, and that's theoretically cool, we still don't have a confirmation from Lynch. Indeed in the interview quoted just upthread I think Lynch says October / November is more likely. With The Republic of Thieves there were delays upon delays, and a couple times Lynch said he hoped to have it out within a particular rough window and that didn't happen at all, but when Lynch himself felt ready to announce "the book is coming out on this day" that was the real date for reals. That hasn't happened yet, so I'm still taking the whole September thing with a pretty good-sized grain of salt until Lynch feels ready to say something himself. [if it is gonna be September they'll be cutting it awfully close now, I'd think.]

I just find it mind boggling that Bakker has confirmed that he turned in his final draft in January and we don't expect it until next year; while Scott hasn't turned anything in and we are expecting September.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, thought it was a decent book for the first of a series. Hope that these keep getting better, which I'm sure they will. Really enjoyed the ending. And I'm assuming Locke's true name is very important to the story. He's a hidden bastard or something? Or, I'm just hoping so, I guess.

I would like to say yes, unfortunately I didn't like the sequels as much as the first one.

The name is very important, yes, but don't get your hopes too high either...

I personally thought the reveal was really weird and disappointing...

Yeah Lynch could have gone in a better direction with Locke's name.

Unlike most people here i found Red Seas Under Red Skies to be equal in quality to The Lies of Locke Lamora. I was a bit disappointed in Republic of Thieves as the present day plot was very underwhelming. That doesn't look to be the case in the next book and I'm hopeful it will reach the quality of the first two.

Archived