New trilogy featuring Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb

pat5150

So the books tackle dark topics and subjects, but it's written in a romantic style, and not oppressive as say the darker themed writers above? :bang:

Might be different tastes. I think it's written in a fairly positive, earnest way. But lots of shit happens (to Fitz in particular.) If you look at the sequence of events you'd think it's more disheartening than it is.

So the books tackle dark topics and subjects, but it's written in a romantic style, and not oppressive as say the darker themed writers above? :bang:

Well the Fitz trilogies are written in first person from the POV of the protagonist years after the events of the story. Like I said, I don't think romantic is quite the right word. It's also been some years since I read the series.

For those who know the series, and trilogies, is Robin Hood's works dark or light/mild fantasy? I mean in terms of say Joe Abercrombie's, GRRM's, Glen Cook's is her works close in theme and content, or is it not as brutal, and dark? I'm looking to get a feel of the world, and be ready instead of expecting something that won't actually happen :)

Farseer is definitely the darkest of all the series set in that world. Like AP said, it's dark in a different way than GRRM and Abercrombie. It's much more about characterization than action (though there is action), and the stuff Fitz goes through is brutal. And since we're in his head, it's even more so. I'd also agree that it has a romantic feel to it, but in a melancholy way. The Farseer trilogy is something that may or may not rip your soul to shreds when you read it.

Liveship is definitely more upbeat and lively, but it shares the Farseer trilogy's penchant for having really unjust things done to the protagonists. I reread the Farseer trilogy recently and am almost finished with a reread of Liveship (next is Tawny Man), and I had forgotten how damn stressful some of the things that happen are. The injustice of many situations in both trilogies bleeds off the page and into my heart.

But I'm also a much bigger fan of Robin Hobb's stuff than a lot of people here, so many might not agree it's that emotionally damaging.

It's character driven Fantasy. Farseer & Tawny Man are first person narrated by Fitz, who makes a very strong impression because of this.

Just start reading it and see how you like it. Read the first one at least. Chances are you'll want to continue after that.

A lot of writers have to write to emulate her first person narrative, but few manage to reach the sort of gravity and impact that Hobb achieves.

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to give it a try when I get the time to dedicate to the trilogy. I can be quite picky of my reading, always demanding darker, more twisted plots and characters. But I'll give Robin Hood a try, it may be what I'm looking for after enjoying Abercrombie's The First Law :bowdown:

It's not /dark/ fantasy but it is by no means airy fairy light, there were some bits of it I found hard to read initially and still find quite dark when I reread. It's an excellent set of trilogies, her character building is up there with the greats imo

I hope it hasn't got dragons, without spoiling it for people who haven't read liveships, I was over the dragons as soon as we met them really. Talk about being overpowered and arrogant.

I do hope she'll introduce some sort of 'equalizer' to the dragons, maybe through the skill or wit. They do bug the fuck out of me, and I hope they give the humans some sort of tool to take them down a notch.

I think they're tragic without being grimdark.

I just finished re-reading the Farseer trilogy and then had to go read the last 4-5 chapters of Fool's Fate. Re-reading the Farseer trilogy was almost even more gutting than the first time. Especially reading about Molly/Burrich and knowing what was coming...man. She hits me right in the feels.

Liveships was a good trilogy but nowhere near as compelling as the Fitz stories. I'd rank them Farseer > Tawny > Liveships. Maybe put Tawny Man and Liveships about equal. I haven't read the Rain Wilds series and don't really much desire to given that they were not my favorite part of the Liveships series.

• 2 weeks later...

http://robinhobb.com/2013/12/2014/

My biggest thing for 2014 is, of course, the publication of The Fool's Assassin, Book one in The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy. That is scheduled for August of 2014 in both the US and UK. This is possibly the most re-written book I've ever created. In fact, I still have about 200 more pages to go in this read-through, and I've already discovered so many little errors and places where I needed to clarify something. Working with a back story that large that stretches over decades of my writing life is very intense. And of course I am simultaneously working on the first draft of book two, as yet untitled. So I have a busy writing year ahead of me.

The manuscript for book two had better be done and turned in by August 1

No France visit this year, I am sorry to say. I received several kind invitations, but regretfully had to refuse. I was also invited to Israel, but also had to refuse. These books are very, very demanding for me. So I have to face the choice between going out in public and Being The Writer or staying home and actually writing the books. Until this trilogy is finished, I need to focus on actually writing. My publishers may add more events to this schedule, but Im hoping to hold fairly close to this.

These books are very, very demanding for me. So I have to face the choice between going out in public and Being The Writer or staying home and actually writing the books. Until this trilogy is finished, I need to focus on actually writing.

Good for you, Robin Hobb!

These books are very, very demanding for me. So I have to face the choice between going out in public and Being The Writer or staying home and actually writing the books

Admirable, really pleased to see this continued dedication and the realization that trips and extended writing often don't go together. I wish Martin would take a page from her book, Hobb has always been able and willing to put business before pleasure whilst still having a very good life.

Is the Piebald Prince from Hobb's Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince mentioned in any of the Fitz trilogies?

Anyway, I read the novellette(or whatever it's called) and it's pretty good. It had that Hobb style that hooks me right in and has me not wanting to put it down til I've read the whole thing, definitely notched up my anticipation for the next Fitz/Fool book.

Is the Piebald Prince from Hobb's Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince mentioned in any of the Fitz trilogies?

Yes, definitely. The Piebald Prince story is mentioned (and I think explained) in the Farseer trilogy, but is expanded upon and mentioned more often in the Tawny Man trilogy, as "Witted rights" become a major part of the story.

Just finished the Tawny Man. Wow. Just, wow.

I'd heard that there were many fans who were somewhat unhappy with the way Hobb tied things up. But if any character has ever deserved a happy ending, it's FitzChivalry Farseer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the villain of the next trilogy is Chade Fallstar.

I think it more likely Chade will be dead in the next series (especially if there's a meaningful gap (I got the impression of at the end of Tawny that Fitz was wrapping up the entire rest of his life).) That would work better for the plot for me. Chade dies and Fitz has to step up to help his Queen (and King, I'm sort of assuming Ketricken will still be around) through some problem. I know Chade had that girl (who's name has slipped my mind) in training, but Fitz doesn't need to be the head of MIFarseer.

Chade won't be dead, I'm pretty sure of that. I expect he'll have gained enough mastery of the Skill to prolong his life, much like Kettle did. And I'm not sure how he'll react to the diminishing of his power as Dutiful assumes his role as king.

Bloke's got Aspiring Dark Lord written all over him.

There's a lot of difference between Dark lord and uncompromising royal assassin. He doesn't like giving over power, but the one thing he's always been is loyal to the Farseers, I just can't see him changing that. I'm pretty sure Hobb could make it work, but I don't see it right now.

As to who the villains will be: I hope it's not the witted again, because they were pretty lame villains, Pale woman is gone (she was good even though she didn't appear for very long,) Chalced?

Spoiler for Rainwilds (which I'm assuming Spockydog hasn't read as they've just finished Tawny Man)

But what course are Chalced now on with the Duchess? She's clearly not keen on slavery, but old habits die hard (as Dany could tell you,) and there was the impression there are more than a few nobles unhappy with her coming to power, it'll be a bumpy transition. Maybe it'll be set around 6D and Chalced trying to work out their differences?

Archived