Football 54 has been placed on garden leave

Nas!

Even US Soccer got in on the You're welcome, Mexico bandwagon.

To which I say Piss off. As if the US and Jurgen were thinking about bringing Mexico along for the ride. Way too much is being made of it. It came came down to math. The US needs to be far more concerned about winning, all the time, and progressing in the World Cup beyond just saying hello to their group.

Based on the smugness and patronising glee that this has unleashed all over the internet, I hope Mexico qualify through the playoffs and then knock the US out (although this would presumably require both of them making the knockouts at least, an unlikely proposition).

Based on the smugness and patronising glee that this has unleashed all over the internet, I hope Mexico qualify through the playoffs and then knock the US out (although this would presumably require both of them making the knockouts at least, an unlikely proposition).

Maybe its just bc you're unfamiliar with US-Mexico and our region as a whole, but every little instance of smugness is peanuts compared to what they throw at US soccer fans and fans of other teams that play friendlies with them. They throw bags of urine at our players and boo our anthem, and half of those are Americans themselves. Now I won't excuse some of the socio-political reasons that cause some of them to bear a grudge bc I understsand that. My family deals with a lot of the same. But I went to US vs Nigeria as a youth and nearly had my head split open by a beer bottle which they repeatedly threw at us throughout the match. You think they they send the "Gringos" respectful emails when they have something on the US?

They're arrogant and have no regard for the confederation they belong to. Noone in CONCACAF likes them. That's why Costa Rica played starters and pressed in a game that meant nothing to them. We're not the only ones gloating. Read some of the spanish commentary, Hondurans and Costa Ricans are letting them have it too. This has been a long time coming and damn right we'll enjoy it. Learn about CONCACAF and the story behind our region befor you judge from over there across the pond, bc there's much that you do not understand. Go check out the Univision forum sometime and see. They give as good as they take... they're not innocent Sallies if that's what you think.

They've been arrogant and lax about this confed for a long time, that's why they're in the position that they are in. Read my sig, that was what the Mexican announcers said about them and that attitude extends to their fanbase.

I never thought they were innocent or anything. However I've come across very few football-fan Mexicans in my time on the internet and those that I have talked with have pretty much all been reasonable, realistic chaps overall. Whereas I come across Americans all the time and many of them have an inferiority complex that leads either to becoming far too keen to over-emphasise every little achievement and step forward American football makes and the careers of their players or (probably more commonly) a tendency to get massively defensive when someone non-American dares to criticise US soccer. Both of those things are very annoying.

Therefore, my sympathetic tendencies do not lie with the US.

I never thought they were innocent or anything. However I've come across very few football-fan Mexicans in my time on the internet and those that I have talked with have pretty much all been reasonable, realistic chaps overall. Whereas I come across Americans all the time and many of them have an inferiority complex that leads either to becoming far too keen to over-emphasise every little achievement and step forward American football makes and the careers of their players or (probably more commonly) a tendency to get massively defensive when someone non-American dares to criticise US soccer. Both of those things are very annoying.

Therefore, my sympathetic tendencies do not lie with the US.

look I grew up with Mexicans. Most of my friends are Mexican or South American where I live so I know a lot of cool cats and even some of them are obnoxious fans. But meeting a few reasonable fans online is a far cry from being on Big Soccer and reading the Gringo Hall of Shame posts, or dealing with them in a soccer only forum or on Youtube. US soccer fans are probably the least obnoxious of American sports fans. We don't get support here and. Are routinely ridiculed and patronized by UK fans and Mexican fans. And you've never been to a Mexico game here so don't think you know el Tri fans bc you meet a few online. Soccer is the sport that they have over the US and they never let us forget it.

I can appreciate that you have a certain perspective but quite frankly its not accurate at all and you simply are not in a position to see it from where I sit. And this isn't. Some "oh the US is perfect" rant, bc I'm from an African family of immigrants and I'm have first hand knowledge of this country's faults. But this just isn't one of them. Awt the very least you should reserve judgement until you have a fuller grasp of the dynamics of CONCACAF's rivalries bc you really are not cognisent of region outiside of the very little that you're exposed to.

And you don't have to take my word for it at all. Again peruse the forums that we share in Big Soccer or go over to the spanish threads on Univision and translate some of what's said on Google.

Its not a matter of them being bad ppl, like I said outside of football they're cool, but football turns el Tri fans into arrogant pricks. I'm not making this up. I live here and go to the same stadiums. I've been to more Tricolores matches than you'll ever go to. Twice as a Nigeria fan. Sometimes as a neutral with Mexican friends and on a few occassions with their opponents. And more importantly I chat and speak to more of them than you ever will. This is a very fierce and emotional rivalry, perhaps the only one of its kind in North America with this level of bad blood. And Mexicans tend to take it to another level. Of course they won't show you that side of it, you're not American. And rooting for Nigeria I didn't get it half as bad as when I was there for the US. But go find out for yourself if you feel that vested in it. There is more to this than what you see from over there.

And Americans get defensive bc they have to hear a lot of shit that has nothing to do with the game like "you don't chant right", "you copied our chants" , "go back to baswketball, that's all you know", "stop calling it soccer", " half your team is mexican or foreign", "americans dhould stop trying to play football"... etc. So I don't blame US soccer fans for having a chip. We get this bs from Europeans, Mexicans big time and even other Americans who shit on the sport and all who follow it as "weak" or unAmerican. So excuse us for not appreciating some of thr less than constuctive criticism. Do some Americans take it too far. Yeah. I jump on US fans who predict that MLS will overtake Europes leagues. I hate when they try to suggest that our closed market system isw better. But there are other sides to every story and placing your limited perspecting as a proxy for a very localized issue like this is as short sightred as me suggesting something about something about Poland because I've chatted with a few prejidiced fans from there. I follow news on Al Jazeera and Russian News online but that doesnt make me an expert on that part of the world. More research is always needed.

US soccer fans are probably the least obnoxious of American sports fans.

I really don't think you get to judge yourself like that. It's not as if you're an impartial judge here. Especially when you're indulging in exactly the sort of behaviour that I said is what infuriates me about US football fans - did you really imagine that was going to change my mind?

I mean, like I say I don't know too many Mexicans but when I have taken the piss out of them I've never got a massive defensive rant about how poor and misunderstood and unappreciated Mexican soccer is. They just join in the mutual, mostly amicable mud-slinging the way most of the rest of the world are able to.

But go find out for yourself if you feel that vested in it.

I have no idea what about my comments makes you think that I'm 'that vested' in it or even vested in it at all.

I really don't think you get to judge yourself like that. It's not as if you're an impartial judge here. Especially when you're indulging in exactly the sort of behaviour that I said is what infuriates me about US football fans - did you really imagine that was going to change my mind?

I mean, like I say I don't know too many Mexicans but when I have taken the piss out of them I've never got a massive defensive rant about how poor and misunderstood and unappreciated Mexican soccer is. They just join in the mutual, mostly amicable mud-slinging the way most of the rest of the world are able to.

I have no idea what about my comments makes you think that I'm 'that vested' in it or even vested in it at all.

Go back to your original comment. You weren't merely taking the piss out on US fans, you were criticizing us in general for taking the piss out on Mexico, which I replied that they do just the same based on my own experiences here where the rivalry actually takes place. Then you basically said that I was wrong or perhaps stupid to equate what Mexico and their fans do to this situation, all because you chat with a some Mexican fans online every once in awhile. Ultimately I don't care about convincing you. That doesn't matter. What bothers me is that you seem to assume that I don't know what I'm talking about in my own back yard and life experience based off of your knowledge of a few people. That's a bit insulting. But I'm not here to fight with you. Peace it's done.

Alex, I hate you.

The Mundials made it through the evening nicely. Mike Ashley sells some quality products which we should all buy.

Lost 11-5 tonight to some super competitive bankers. They were pretty good at football too. Did a nice ice hockey challenge on a Chuck Bass lookalike which was a high point. Slammed him into the wall. Missed a sitter as well though; the nerves got to me.

It's just sad to me all the type spent on Mexico here and elsewhere. Pat yourselves on the back, I suppose, but also remember you were minutes away from losing to Panama and spent most of the game losing to Panama. That should be more worthy of space on these and other pages. CONCACAF for the most part sucks donkey balls and is not very competitive and aside from a poor year and qualifying, Mexico is the powerhouse from this conference, regardless of how shitty their fans etc might be.

It's time for the US and American fans to get in the habit of winning, real and meaningful winning, and forget what anybody else does. Also, I'd be more proud of a team that played to win, instead of played to be petty just because they could.

Archived