The Walking Dead: Season 4 - No Comic Spoilers!

Thales

So I caught most of the episode, have to rewatch it tonight because my toddler decided to get back out of bed. What I did catch I liked. The grocery store scene added some nice tension to the mix, even though it did feel forced it was still pretty good. Goddamned zombies falling from the sky, what's not to fear about that?

And I completely missed why that glasses kid was sick. Did it show why/how? Seemed strange for him to be mostly okay during the day and then that night he's freaking so sick he dies, but it will open it up for some nice zombie prison action next episode.

So creepy woods girl with head husband was Octavia from Rome

Holy crap, I usually pride myself on spotting actors but I had no idea it was her even though the accent was tickling my memory. Excellent makeup/acting job.

I did recognize Kyle Gallner and knew he was toast when I saw him. I don't think I've ever seen a show/movie where that guy doesn't die.

No offense, but why don't you just stop watching then? I think this show more than others in recent memory results in endless complaining, and insults. I just don't understand why someone (not just you) would invest hours of their lives on something they don't seem to like, or get any enjoyment out of.

Honestly, just ignore them. I have no idea why this show in particular draws posters in to criticize like flies to rotten fruit, but it has since the first episode. Letting them have their pointless little fist pumps and nose-thumbing at the show doesn't hurt anyone and engaging with them proves pointless almost 100% of the time. Just ignore them. They'll go away.

Why is Rick afraid to use his gun?? Why is only harry potter kid affected by such a deadly spreading disease and not the other people he came in contact with?? So this disease was spread by the pig?? It affects animals as well?? Why didn't the pig give it to others as well? ?

Why is daryl with carol? ??

I liked last night's episode quite a bit. It was clearly a setup episode, but that's okay. I get it.

I don't like that they are going to have to fight disease in the prison. It makes perfect sense, but I still don't like it. To me, that is much scarier than the zombies outside or when they had to fight Woodbury.

For a while, I thought the lady in the woods was some weird half zombie hybrid. Glad she wasn't. I thought that was a good sequence though. And when Rick was talking to Hershel afterwards and saying how if anything happened to Carl and Judith, that he could see himself like that - well, I feel like that was just foreshadowing the two youngsters deaths. Hope I'm wrong about that.

This show is just so bleak. And I understand that's what it's supposed to be about. But I think for me, the thing I like best about it is pulling for the little rays of sunshine for Rick and the group. Just the little pieces of happiness they're able to snatch and dig out are the payoff for me. And last night's episode had several of those, so I enjoyed it.

Why is Rick afraid to use his gun??

Kirkman had some answers in an EW Q&A:

It’s all about Rick coming from this place where he kind of went off the deep end in season 3. Rick feels like he failed at everything he was trying to do and so this is him trying a different path and seeing if he can make that work.

Why is only harry potter kid affected by such a deadly spreading disease and not the other people he came in contact with?? So this disease was spread by the pig?? It affects animals as well?? Why didn't the pig give it to others as well? ?

Why is daryl with carol? ??

I’m not a doctor — I just play one on TV — but I’m assuming there’s some sort of nasty, swine flu-type virus abroad in the prison.
Well, it’s definitely some kind of nasty illness. Something that can make a guy go from cough-cough-I’m-not-feeling-well-can-I-go-lay-down? to essentially bleeding out in the shower after a few hours is something on the swine flu level — possibly a little bit more deadly.
And that kid Patrick coughed all over the water supply!
Well, that shower water supply is fairly contained. That’s like a bag that they fill up. I don’t know how this works, I’m getting a little too technical here. All the water is contaminated! It’s very dangerous! Be careful!

Rick going off the deep end in season 3 had long-lasting effects on me as a viewer.

I was questioning the whole meeting with the lady in the woods for quite a while. I was wondering if she was real at all. Or if she was a zombie that Rick was projecting his craziness onto.

A disease that kills within hours nearly without warning and can (apparently) spread through the air would wipe them out so fast. Even not considering the fact that the corpses will then reanimate inside their perimeter. I can see why they would bring disease in as a factor, but I think the virulence is a bit overstated. Unless this kid was immuno-compromised or something.

I thought the grocery store scene was fridge dumb but well-enough done, pretty tense. The fridge stupidity comes from a couple of things: why can a roof hold a crashed helicopter for god knows how long only to crash as soon as the zombies move? How did the zombies get up on the roof in the first place? Why were they alerted by the crashing bottles but not the sounds of people speaking conversationally while outside and less than 20 feet away?

Another nitpick - and to its credit the show actually kind of addressed this - is that a fall from 20 feet by a more or less rotten body should leave it structurally incapable of walking due to broken legs or backs. Zombies don't have the reflexes to even cushion their fall with their knees or anything. The show didn't totally ignore this, at least one of the ones that hit the ground popped like a tomato.

My take on roof scene was that the zombies on the roof were people from the helicopter and people who were on the roof signaling the helicopter (since the one guy looked like he was cut in half by the chopper blade) when it crashed.

The crash damaged the roof and caused it to sag. Water over the months since the crash accumulated in the low spot causing water damage and weakening the roof. Water also leaked through and rotted the liquor shelf.

So the noise of the shelf collapsing drew all the zombies, concentrating them on the weakest section of the roof and the extra weight caused it to finally give way. Once part of the roof collapsed , the rest couldn't support the helicopter so it followed the zombies down.

My take on roof scene was that the zombies on the roof were people from the helicopter and people who were on the roof signaling the helicopter (since the one guy looked like he was cut in half by the chopper blade) when it crashed.

The crash damaged the roof and caused it to sag. Water over the months since the crash accumulated in the low spot causing water damage and weakening the roof. Water also leaked through and rotted the liquor shelf.

So the noise of the shelf collapsing drew all the zombies, concentrating them on the weakest section of the roof and the extra weight caused it to finally give way. Once part of the roof collapsed , the rest couldn't support the helicopter so it followed the zombies down.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/517/111/fbd.jpg

A disease that kills within hours nearly without warning and can (apparently) spread through the air would wipe them out so fast. Even not considering the fact that the corpses will then reanimate inside their perimeter. I can see why they would bring disease in as a factor, but I think the virulence is a bit overstated. Unless this kid was immuno-compromised or something.

exactly, they should all have turned into zombies that night if the disease was air-borne.

so this show is now kinda turning into a The Stand With Zombies! type of hybrid.

Not that I want to join my voice to the million of detractors this show has, but why is is stabbing zombies through a fence the best idea a whole village can come up with? I kept halfway expecting someone to accidentally graze an open part of their body against a Walker's tooth.

Why don't they just build a pit around the fence and use combustibles to burn the zombies when it gets full?

They should build pits and put more of those angled sharpened stick traps all through the fields. Rick saw Morgan's set up last season, the zombies will just walk into traps. They could fortify the fence a bit better rather than having a handful of people poking every morning.

Also

The preview on Talking Dead showed us that someone is attracting the zombies to that one specific point at night using food, why isn't the fence being watched at all hours?

My guess is that the people on the roof escaped up there when the zombies got loose within the compound, only with the zombies flooding the compound below there was nowhere for them to escape. And everyone below had to have already been dead for them to just be shambling about on the roof instead of having fallen over the edge trying to get to the living.

You pretty much nailed the collapse. My only issue with it is that all the months (year?) they were up there, none of them shambled onto a wet spot?

Not that I want to join my voice to the million of detractors this show has, but why is is stabbing zombies through a fence the best idea a whole village can come up with? I kept halfway expecting someone to accidentally graze an open part of their body against a Walker's tooth.

Why don't they just build a pit around the fence and use combustibles to burn the zombies when it gets full?

I can't say for certain but I don't know if they'd have the time to do so. Too many zombies showing up for them to have the time to dig without constant protection and threat of being overrun. Though that didn't stop them from building the spiked barrier right outside the gate.

The obvious answer is having the zombies swarm the fence provides constant drama. Need a little pick me up from the character melodrama going on? Zombies are threatening to break down the fence.

They really need to make the zombies more of a danger. True that one red shirt was killed today, but they're so slow and stupid that it's pretty much impossible to get killed unless you get trapped somehow. How about... running zombies (like in 28 Days Later). They ran a lot in season one, and although them slowing down can be partly explained by their bodies decaying after months of being zombies, the freshly dead should really have the same physique as the living.

I can't say for certain but I don't know if they'd have the time to do so. Too many zombies showing up for them to have the time to dig without constant protection and threat of being overrun. Though that didn't stop them from building the spiked barrier right outside the gate.

The obvious answer is having the zombies swarm the fence provides constant drama. Need a little pick me up from the character melodrama going on? Zombies are threatening to break down the fence.

The spiked barrier could have been built inside the prison and then just taken outside and set up. I don' think that would be too hard for them to do.

They really need to make the zombies more of a danger. True that one red shirt was killed today, but they're so slow and stupid that it's pretty much impossible to get killed unless you get trapped somehow. How about... running zombies (like in 28 Days Later). They ran a lot in season one, and although them slowing down can be partly explained by their bodies decaying after months of being zombies, the freshly dead should really have the same physique as the living.

I agree with your last line, sort of. That's how my zombies work in the world I've built for my short stories, they start off as even more capable than their bodies while alive because they don't have limits on what their muscles and bones and tendons, etc can or can't do. But as rigor mortis sets in they become the slow shamblers.

However, for the purpose of TWD I think the zombies are perfect as they are. They're not really supposed to be a major threat on their own individually unless you get taken by surprise; its when they group up and become a herd that they truly become something to fear.

The spiked barrier could have been built inside the prison and then just taken outside and set up. I don' think that would be too hard for them to do.

Yeah, very true. If anything they should be digging a ditch inside the second fence. Should the fences ever become breached they need a last line of defense so they can escape/prepare to attack or defend.

I've always thought that by now there would be way more zombies at the fence than there are. I think killing them with the spikes to the head gives people something to do and it's a good way to deal with anger. It's almost like gardening and taking care of the weeds.

I knew something was up with moldy lady, but I wish they had kept her longer.

The new virus: does it come from water, from pigs, from water the pigs drank? We'll find out. Since this was the first episode, we don't know how for how long either the pig or Harry Potter had been infected for. We only saw the very end of the illness. Is this infecting all animals? We did see that dead deer with flies. Plus wasn't it deer that they were Bar-B-Qing? They may have to turn vegetarian for a while, which is why the whole planting thing with Hershel happened? Maybe one of the themes will be starvation. That would be awful inside more awful for those people.

It wouldn't be hard to get them off the fence... They cleared them out of the strip mall/army camp with a boombox or car stereo playing loudly for a couple of days or hours. The same tactic could easily be used here.

Even better, they could draw the walkers away from a given area, dig a large pit there with stakes and fill the bottom with diesel (since fuel is apparently eternally good in TWD universe), then use the same tactic there to kill dozens or hundreds of them at once.

Edit - They could even have this ongoing. The governor's men had a similar setup that was solar powered.

Another thought - killing them at the fence is well and good (I agree that it provides a task for people and keeps them psychologically ready to kill walkers), but they would have to still clear the corpses occasionally or there would be major problems with sanitation and physical security. So one way or another they will have to draw them off sooner or later.

This show is nothing special, but it's good fun and that was a solid premiere. I love that the zombies are finally back in a big way, instead of the Days of Our Lives-esque soap opera we've seen the past season and a half. This show can deliver the tension and thrills when it tries to, and it looks like the show runners are gonna take a good run at it.

What I didn't like is how Rick is essentially going through exactly the same stuff emotionally as last season. It's getting stale, really.

Archived