NFL Week 8: End of the Weeden Dynasty

sperry

I'd slot Luck ahead of Rivers, but that list is more or less spot on. I'm a big Rodgers fan, so I'd like to see him at #1 but it's hard to argue against Manning.

Forgettable outing by my Hawks today, as their road woes continue. Hell they haven't even looked good at home lately, yet they sit at 7-1. Harvin will be a welcome addition when he comes back, whether that's next week or later. But things aren't looking so rosy for this team's prospects this season.

Also anyone else get the sense they're holding back Wilson a little too much? I know he's young and all, but he's not gonna throw away the game. I'm not saying he should throw 35-40 times a game, it's just that he should be more involved in the offense. It seems like Seattle lets him loose when they're trailing and have no other option, and he often delivers in a big way. He's their best player as far as I'm concerned, so he should get the ball a lot more. He's the anti-Mark Sanchez.

Eh. Seattle has a philosophy of offense - run the ball a lot, limit passing to what is needed unless desperate, and play as if Wilson is the second coming of Fran Tarkenton - and he brought the entire 1960s league with him. Bevell is boring as fuck.

That being said, I don't see Wilson getting 40 passes with that OLine. The offensive line is just horrible. This is something that really should rest on Carroll/Schneider's shoulders more. Yes, they've done an absurdly good job of finding and stockpiling defensive talent. Yes, they absolutely got the steal of the show in Wilson and had the balls to commit to him when others wouldn't have dreamed. But they have missed horribly on offensive linemen. Max Unger was already there and has been their rock. Carpenter has been bad when he wasn't injured. JR Sweezy - a converted DT - has been horrible. Okung's been pretty decent, but has been injured as often as not. Then the rotating knives of bad tackle play to replace and no good depth means just getting hammered when playing good defenses. I pity them going up against the Saints this season.

They just showed the exchange on NFL Network between Bryant and Romo. It was fine. Bryant was basically saying he couldn't do anything cause of the safety and Romo and coaches were telling him to sit down his route to avoid the middle. He was just passionately defending the fact that he didn't do something right it looks like. Looked more like frustration than anything.

The only thing that pisses me off about the Bryant situation is that it became the main story from Sunday, not the Lions win.

I have no issue with Bryant's tirade because he is a receiver that should get more balls thrown his way. The audio shows even more that he was trying to improve the teams play, not just being a selfish receiver. In the end, football is an emotional sport and Dez let his emotions get the better of him on that day. No harm no foul.

The only thing that pisses me off about the Bryant situation is that it became the main story from Sunday, not the Lions win.

I have no issue with Bryant's tirade because he is a receiver that should get more balls thrown his way. The audio shows even more that he was trying to improve the teams play, not just being a selfish receiver. In the end, football is an emotional sport and Dez let his emotions get the better of him on that day. No harm no foul.

Well, I'm not sure if that's what the audio shows. I think it's more like they called a play which he was unable to run because of the safety and he defended himself passionately. Not sure it had anything to do with improving the team's play, at least the first tirade he had.

But I do agree, it has definitely taken focus from the Lions and that can be frustrating I'm sure.

So, I was very busy much of Sunday and all of Monday so my first chance to comment on this week's games.

- During the 1st half of the "FInally,-the-Decline-of-the-Patriot-Has-Begun-and-All-of-us-Can-At-Last-Enjoy-Watching-Pats-Fans-Eat-Shit-for-a-Season" game, I LEGITIMATELY started postulating what it was going to feel like watching the playoffs without the Pats. Miami was going to win, the Jets were coming off a big win so the Pats would be a WHOPPING 2-2 in the division and only one more game against the Bills. Obviously, there is something off with Brady- be it injuries or horrid distrust of the receivers -but he wasn't right so I said to my friends watching the game- if his hand is still bugging him after this loss (I had shit-canned the game) do you just put him on IR and chalk the season up to injuries and bad off-season decisions? Belichick was connuing his "I;'m Bill Belichick Bitch!" mantra by ... benching Stevan Ridley in the 1st half? Whaaaaaaaaaaa? Good move.

And then tragedy struck, and I am only half joking. The Pats D- missing their best player at each of the three levels (Wilfork, Mayo and Talib) - stonewalled the Dolphins (Year 10 of their 5 year rebuilding plan) in the second half, allowing 0 points and the Pats offense and Bill Belichick decided to not always act like he's 9 and Ridley was allowed back in the game where he took over. Brady was able to connect with Dobson on a few hits and a TD and was somehow able to pass for over 100 yards and 50% completion.

And you thought I could never appreciate the stat line of Tim Tebow?

(NOW... disclaimer... I am picking on Brady because ... well... something is not right. At a certain point the receivers have to man-up, but at another point Brady has to do more, especially now that Gronk is back and Amendola has currently played 4 straight quarters without a major injury. At some point BRADY has to make it gel and not the other way around. BUT... with THAT SAID.... I don't think there is a QB in the NFL who could do better with the talent he has around him. EVERY single other team in contention in the NFL has a deep threat or multi-faceted passing attack behind several receivers. The Pats have Gronk (still rusty) and 3 guys doing their best Wes Welker impersonation; its not all on Brady THompkins has caught like 3 balls cleanly all season - he still wants the balls on his chest ... hehehe.... I said balls on chest ... ahhhh....fucking Patriots have complete losers at WR- who the fuck am I kidding????? Anyway.... Thompkins juggles everything and Dobson STILL runs the wrong routes. Its amazing... I would like it if one of these guys developed into the "PIerre Garcon" of the Pats or the "Austin Collie" of the Pats... besides, you know, the actual Austin Collie....).

The Pats D was huge, again, and the Pats O put up points even though the Pats have continued their impressive streak of "Most Consecutive Games Losing a Starter For The Season." THis week it was Sebastian Volmer, the starting RT. Because, those grow on trees, right?

Had the Pats lost, I can shit can the season. BUt they won, they are 6-2 and their schedule from this point on: Pittsburg (W), at Carolina (while not a gimmie, a highly winnable game if they can contain Newton), Denver (L), @Houston where the TExans are trying to gracefully succumb to their collapse by not actually starting a QB (W), Cleveland (W), @Miami (50/50), @Baltimore (W, seriously, the Ravens are not "good") Buffalo (W). So, 11-5 at worst... 12-4....13-3 NOT out of the question (but also not highly likely either)....

FUCK!!!! I HATE FALSE HOPE!!!

Pats: still one and done in the playoffs.

- OKay, so was it me or did the Redskins just completely and totally shit themselves against the Broncos? They go up by 2 TDs in the second half and then proceed to:

1st and 10 at WSH 20 R.Griffin pass incomplete deep middle to J.Morgan. 2nd and 10 at WSH 20 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass incomplete deep middle to P.Garcon. 3rd and 10 at WSH 20

(Shotgun) R.Griffin pass incomplete deep middle to A.Robinson [M.Jackson].

Yeah, because the Ghost o Rex Grossman LIVES????!!!!! Great running back who averaged 5.5 yards a carry and a good short game with a mobile QB.... "NAH, Fuck it! I'm going deep?" Hey, great lets ensure Manning gets back on this field ASAP so he can ... Score on the very next play. Great job, assholes.

The Redskins did not score a point after that. (against a highly questionable defense... who JUST got von Miller ... who although he was suspended for violating the league's drug policy JUST SO HAPPENS to have come back from his 6 game suspension - extended because he actually got caught trying to cheat the test with a urine collector- SOMEHOW was able to put on like 20 pounds of pure muscle. IN the immortal words of Woody Allen, "Well... at least it was fair." ).

-At the end of everything, will Megatron go down as one of the best 5 WRs ever? Can anyone name 5 who ever played who are better?

-The Jags are a scrappy team,. That 49'ers may have put up 45 points but that game was MUCH closer than the final score indi- oh, fuck it, no fucking way! That game was a train wreck. If London wants to see that every week, congratulations, you just inherited a fucking terrible team to go with the fucking terrible idea of getting a team in London. Well done. Holy fuck-balls the Jags are bad. THere were a few plays in there were I thought nobody on that team actually had played football as recently as the week before. And why would you take that job as head coach after they fire... the guy who is currently trying to pad his resume to be the next defensive coordinator at Auburn? Is it a work release program or something?

-I LOVE how Football outsiders is trying to convince me the Eagles have a good offense and how even with their shitty QBS the Eagles were good. Grantland even went so far as to say this past week " In case you are a Chip Kelly truther, Philadelphia's offense was ranked second in DVOA heading into the game (against the Cowboys) Afterward, it fell to eighth, and that was with Nick Foles and Matt Barkley at quarterback. If you think the Philadelphia offense isn't good, you're not watching." See... I don't know... I think we are seeing the real Eagles. Yes, Vick is injured but the Eagles had put up 21 points or more only THREE times all season - and their only wins were against the Redskins, Giants and Bucs... teams that combined for a whopping 4-18 record. WELL DONE PHILY!!! Your offense is so good you can beat teams that are very terrible. Its practically the 2007 Pats.

This is why Football Outsiders has ADJUSTED DAVE to take into account the BAD teams and guess the fuck what? The Eagles? Very bad against good teams: they were 7th going into the Cowboys game and today???? Yes, the "Chip Kelly Truthers" ... were right - after the loss to ... the Giants (So, now you cannot even beat terrible teams) the Eagles fell to 20th in DVOA and DAVE- great job!!!

Okay, I am overstating things because I think Kelley is "onto something" and that ultimately that team will put things together because Kelley IS a good coach. But, fuck you Bill Barnwell for telling me the Eagles had a good offense when, quelle fucking suprise, they are falling apart especially on O. Yes, the QB went down, but Barnwell's article took that into account when he told everyone who has not IMMEDIATELY DRUNK THE CHIP KELLEY KOOL AID that they were "truthers" and were not watching football. No, see asshole, turns out we were ACTUALLY WATCHING FOOTBALL And the Eagles were not that good. And the stats bear that out (finally). Don't tell me that what I see isn't there because somebody has a number that they think menas something it doesn't.

And Mark Sanchez still sucks.

-Right now, the Bengals look nigh unstoppable at home.

-The Steelers are such a bad team.

-While I did call the Falcons collapse, I am still surprised by it. Was Julio Jones THAT much of their team? Its almost embarrassing. Ryan is melting, Smith looks lost. I don't know. They still get to play the Bucs again.

-Watching the Seahawks celebrate beating the dead-last Rams - who played with their back-up QB -like they just won the Superbowl was infuriating. Yes, you just beat a terrible team on the road in a game uglier than my cat's ass, but act like you've been there before. Jackasses.

Okay, so trying to get into mid-season form after a long layoff.

-At the end of everything, will Megatron go down as one of the best 5 WRs ever? Can anyone name 5 who ever played who are better?

He will more than likely eclipse some of these guys by the end of his career but right now I can name more than a few that were better than him.

1. Jerry Rice

2. Randy Moss

3. Michael Irvin

4. Chris Carter

5. Tim Brown

6. Andre Rison

7. Lance Alworth

8. Andre Reed

He will more than likely eclipse some of these guys by the end of his career but right now I can name more than a few that were better than him.

1. Jerry Rice

2. Randy Moss

3. Michael Irvin

4. Chris Carter

5. Tim Brown

6. Andre Rison

7. Lance Alworth

8. Andre Reed

- I think Johnson is better than the last four guys on the list and I think he will end up being better than Moss, if he is not there already.

- I think Johnson is better than the last four guys on the list and I think he will end up being better than Moss, if he is not there already.

Agreed. I also think he'll end up better than Irvin/Carter by the time his career is done as well. I don't think he'll ever truly eclipse Rice but I do think he has more natural talent than him.

Johnson has more physical skills and and potential than every guy on that list, but they all have the skins on the wall. If he looses his career to injury, he will go down in the Sterling Sharpe class in my opinion. One of the best to ever play (Sterling Sharpe may have been the best) but didn't get a chance to realize his full potential.

Granted.

But I'll be flummoxed when we see anyone with more drive for perfection than Rice.

I saw him once at a local batting cage with his son. (No boy, this is how you do it. [Homerun stroke, homerun stroke, homerun stroke] X infinity.

ETA: I was too embarrassed to enter the cage at that point and played miniature golf until he left. At least I kicked ass at that.

Edit2: This was was a few years after his final retirement. He probably would have still destroyed me at miniature golf.

I would also question whether Megatron really has better physical skills than Randy Moss. Randy Moss is like his own category when it came to speed, hands and verticality. The problem was just his mental game/discipline was never able to match his physical gifts.

But that being said, at this point I expect Megatron to have a better career than everyone not named Jerry Rice. Although with the way passing is going in the league, its totally possible that AJ Green or some other young guy surpasses his numbers very quickly (just like Megatron is doing to Fitz, and Fitz did to Marvin Harrison). Rice is the only one of the earlier era greats that has numbers who compare, because of his astonishing combination of both dominance and longevity. Even still, Rice's records will fall at some point.

Johnson has more natural talent than any of those guys. He's already had much better, more dominant years than anyone on the list but Moss and Rice. The only question now is longevity. If he can keep this up for 5 more years, he goes down as the best of all time. The final career numbers don't matter as much to me, because guys like Rice and Brown stayed aruond padding theirs stats long past their primes.

I also think, distasteful as he may be, that TO belongs high up on that list. He was a dominant force and the best receiver in the game for a long time. There's a reason teams put up with his act for so long.

Archived