What are you reading in November?

Guinevere Seaworth

Just finished the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I can't recommend this enough - truly beautiful prose, strong, confronting themes and a great cast of memorable characters. Sad to have finished it!

Now on to Republic of Thieves.

Halfway through Red Country and enjoying it as expected, Abercrombie really does write some great characters.

Will read a completely random quick book next, just to have a break from fantasy, then get cracking on either Locke Lamora or Prince of Thorns.

I like to read books in a series back to back, so it's nice to go into a trilogy knowing I can go through them all straight away.

Halfway through Red Country and enjoying it as expected, Abercrombie really does write some great characters.

Will read a completely random quick book next, just to have a break from fantasy, then get cracking on either Locke Lamora or Prince of Thorns.

I like to read books in a series back to back, so it's nice to go into a trilogy knowing I can go through them all straight away.

What sort of books do you like for your breaks from fantasy? I find myself wanting to step away from the genre every now and again, and I tend to go for one of the classics - recent ones include Wuthering Heights and Anna Karenina. Anna Karenina took me forever to get through.

What sort of books do you like for your breaks from fantasy? I find myself wanting to step away from the genre every now and again, and I tend to go for one of the classics - recent ones include Wuthering Heights and Anna Karenina. Anna Karenina took me forever to get through.

I don't know if you know Karl Pilkington, but I'm planning to read one of his humorous travel books this time, otherwise it's maybe an autobiography, or a quick reread of some YA fiction from my teens (only a couple of years ago). Anthony Horowitz, Charlie Higson et al.

Will start attempting some of the classics soon also though.

I don't know if you know Karl Pilkington, but I'm planning to read one of his humorous travel books this time, otherwise it's maybe an autobiography, or a quick reread of some YA fiction from my teens (only a couple of years ago). Anthony Horowitz, Charlie Higson et al.

Will start attempting some of the classics soon also though.

I do indeed know Karl Pilkington, though I didn't know he'd written something. I very much enjoyed An Idiot Abroad, though I found it lost some of its humour on re-watches. Have you read something of his already? I tend to stick to fiction, but I did enjoy Stephen Fry's autobiography.

I forgot just how much I love Dexter. The show almost spoiled it for me. Tearing through Dexter's Final Cut, and really enjoying it. Laughed out loud a few times when reading late last night, and confirmed the housemate's opinion that I am borderline insane :laugh:

I do indeed know Karl Pilkington, though I didn't know he'd written something. I very much enjoyed An Idiot Abroad, though I found it lost some of its humour on re-watches. Have you read something of his already? I tend to stick to fiction, but I did enjoy Stephen Fry's autobiography.

I read his travel diary related to An Idiot Abroad 1 and enjoyed it, he's done a book based on every TV series he's done I think, planning to pick up his latest one based on 'The Moaning of Life'.

Picked up Sharon Shinn's latest, Royal Airs. Second in the Elemental Blessings series (the first one was Troubled Waters).

Paxter--completely agree about Kavalier and Clay. The weirdest part was being enough of a comics fan to be able to see the artwork as it was described, and knowing that bits of Jim Steranko's life were used. :) I have yet to tackle Telegraph Avenue, but given that I went to Cal, it's definitely on the list. Chabon rocks.

I finished Heinlein's The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. As an SF/Mystery crossover it fails pretty miserably IMO. But it turns out that that wasn't really what Heinlein was going for. In the third book of the novel, it goes off the rails into time & inter-dimensional travel. Turns out, there's a very good reason that Dr. Richard Ames resembles Lazarus Long...

I didn't enjoy this one as much as his older work. The middle-aged main character is definitely a Marty Stu. Teens, centenarians, men, women, computer programs downloaded into human bodies- all find him sexually irresistible. Seriously, it get kind of ridiculous.

Finished After the Apocalypse by Maureen something a few days ago, not what I expected but I liked most of the stories, 4/5.

Right now about 25% into Disciple of The Dog and I'm not really sure if I'm going to finish this one. After that I'm probably going to start the Aspect Emperor books.

Finished Snow Crash. It was a pretty solid read. Interesting and pretty fresh despite being 20 years old. I am wondering how Stephenson's other books stack up in comparison (even though I already have tons to read).

Think I will go onto The Burning Land by Cornwell or Blade of Tyshalle by Stover next.

Loved Diamond Age. Every bit as fun as Snow Crash. Those two are my favorite of his by far.

Finished Snow Crash. It was a pretty solid read. Interesting and pretty fresh despite being 20 years old. I am wondering how Stephenson's other books stack up in comparison (even though I already have tons to read).

Take a look at Anathem. I think that is the perfect balance between the relatively light Snow Crash and his very dense Baroque stuff.

Archived