What are you reading in November?

Guinevere Seaworth

Blew through Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Loved it! I'll have to track down the rest of the volumes sometime in the future.

Also finished Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. I thought this was her weakest historical fiction to date, as I felt the characters where too one dimensional and the plot plodded for most of the book. All those children (and half brothers and half sisters) of Mark Antony, Octavia, and Octavian got confusing as well!

I'm going to start reading The Dervish House by Ian McDonald. Never read anything by him before.

Finished Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie - it started out really strong, but I felt the very ending petered out a tiny bit for more conventional military/action/saving the world stuff than the more startling and original feeling of the first half. Looks like there's going to be sequels? Looking forward to those then.

Just starting Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey after finishing Leviathan Wakes last month. I'm really enjoying the series so far. (I'm also listening to the audio book which is nicely performed by Jefferson May).

It will be interesting to see how the show gets adapted to TV considering all the zero gravity scenes (if it ever happens). My dream would be an animated HBO series.

Just starting Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey after finishing Leviathan Wakes last month. I'm really enjoying the series so far. (I'm also listening to the audio book which is nicely performed by Jefferson May).

It will be interesting to see how the show gets adapted to TV considering all the zero gravity scenes (if it ever happens). My dream would be an animated HBO series.

I'm sure they'll hire some of the people that worked in the zero-g effects on Ender's Game (which are apparently top notch), or at least I hope they do. HBO is my hope also.

eta: hopefully GRRM is I'm HBO's ear about it b/c of his relationships with Dan and Ty.

I finished The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon a few days ago, definitely recommend it.

A really witty and well written novel about a homicide investigation into the murder of a junky prodigy, set in an Alaskan refugee settlement that was set up for jewish refugees in WW2. Detective Landsman is probably one of my all time favourite characters now, Chabon did a fantastic job of writing through his eyes. The novel is very "in-the-moment", if you are wondering if you missed something, because a character casually mentions something or someone, keep reading the explanation for it is coming. That's about the best I can describe it. It's a very tight novel, with an incredible, almost plausible, alternate universe, with a phenomenal core set of characters.

I've now moved onto Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.

I'm not going to lie, I was kind of worried about the novel when I heard what it was about, but was going to read it anyways because The Shining is one of my favourite stories, and Jack Torrance, although extremely flawed, is one of my favourite characters. Anyways, while I'm only a few chapters in, I am absolutely loving it. I've been creeped out, I jumped when my phone vibrated while reading, and Adult Danny is becoming another favourite character. He's taken on his father's alcoholism, almost to a new low, but still seems to mean well. I'm really looking forward to how this will play out

I blazed through Thurman Miller's Earned in Blood in one night. It's a great story and a quick read.

It's been getting some good buzz on Goodreads, and was a main selection for the Military Book Club.

It's good that Miller recorded his experiences for the rest of us, far too many memories are being lost as our WWII veterans pass on.

One word best describes Mr. Miller: tough. He is a great example of America's Greatest Generation. Earned in Blood follows him from his hardscrabble childhood in the hills of West Virginia through some of the fiercest fighting in the Pacific Theater and home again to a career as a coal miner. It's a gripping tale, and quite moving. Miller's struggle to readjust to civilian life while dealing with the wounds of war, both physical & mental, is a key part of the story that many memoirs leave out.

I'm about midway through Caliban's War right now too. And I am really enjoying it. It's been a while since I read Leviathan Wakes, but I think Caliban's War is much better - and I liked Leviathan Wakes a lot, so I am really digging it!

There is no correct answer - go as the whim takes you at any given moment.

<---- appalling multi-reader

I get anxious if I am reading more than eight books but five to six is my preferred number. I never really find it difficult to keep them seperate and it helps keep me engaged.

Just finished Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews. Fairly predictable but engaging none the less. No where close to the Kate Daniels sequence though.

It was definitely engaging but I felt that it didn't have quite the impact of Three Parts Dead.

Oh excellently excellent. I had this on my buy when less than ten dollars list. This post prompted me to recheck, and it's now sitting on my kindle for the princely sum of 2.95

I have read some real stinkers. Barely made it through REPUBLIC OF THIEVES by Scott Lynch. Only made it to page 50 of GRIM COMPANY by Luke Scull. Really excited to read DANCE OF CLOAKS by David Dalglish, but a fellow poster on this site described this book as Brent Weeks lite fare.

Struggling to read DANCE because I asked the local library to purchase the book. Feel real guilty if I don't finish.

I read the NIGHT ANGEL trilogy by Brent Weeks, and I really did not like it all.

After trying to read DANCE OF CLOAKS, I think the fellow poster was being polite.

Archived