What happens when Jaime lannister meets Dany?

manderin

Well the exact point Jaime would make is he did not kill the brother, nephew and niece! And the father deserved to die - no one can deny that, not even Dany when she is faced with the truth.

Truth is kind of a strange word here. How would Jaime prove his story? He can't exactly show Dany the wildfire in KL, and no one else knew about his "nuke the capital" plan except for Jaime himself. It would be easy for Dany (or anyone else, really -- people exaggerate how "crazy" Dany would have to be not to believe Jaime's story here) to believe that Jaime is only making up this story to justify killing Aerys so that he could steal the Throne for himself or his allies. Heck, isn't that pretty much what most people think Jaime did anyway? WE know that Jaime isn't lying but the characters in the book don't have the privilege of reading it.

And all of this is assuming that Jaime even feels the need to explain himself to her. Targaryens aren't the only people with god complexes and delusions of superiority -- that actually pretty much describes every noble character in the series, Lannisters included.The idea that they might have to explain their actions might even be viewed as offensive, like if a cockroach in your apartment started demanding daily reports on your electricity usage.

Truth is kind of a strange word here. How would Jaime prove his story?

Well it is likely that everyone who knows anything (such as Barristan) would say Jaime's story sounds likely. Yes, he cannot prove it, but is anyone aside Dany going to name him a liar? No. And Barristan likely has a few mad stories of his own. The only question is will Dany listen. I think she wont.

Well it is likely that everyone who knows anything (such as Barristan) would say Jaime's story sounds likely. Yes, he cannot prove it, but is anyone aside Dany going to name him a liar? No. And Barristan likely has a few mad stories of his own. The only question is will Dany listen. I think she wont.

No one would think that was likely. Even Barristan didn't know of it and may have thought that the Mad King wouldn't go that far.

No one would think that was likely. Even Barristan didn't know of it and may have thought that the Mad King wouldn't go that far.

I think Barristan would have known Aerys was mad. He might not know anything about Jaime's story, but I do not think he would think Jaime was lying.

In any case, I actually agree that Dany will never believe any of this or let the truth be told. It is clear she is being built up as a mad cruel butcher queen. I was just saying, just because no one ever heard Jaime's story, once heard there is no reason anyone would doubt it (aside Dany). I mean, did Brienne think for a second he was lying? No. And she hated him, the false knight, but his story was just so obviously true that he convinced her.

If I recall correctly these two haven't met yet... at least not since Dany was a toddler. Did you think about what the impact would be if they meet as adults?

In the book it seems that Jaime has a powerful feeling of great loyalty toward Reagor and his family (aside from the mad king). Even more of a loyalty to them than he does to his own lannister family. After all he told the Mad King not to trust his father and not to Tywin and his army through the gates. He also wanted to save Reagor's mother from being brutally raped by the Mad King and felt horrible that he wasn't able to... then he also failed at saving her from death at the hands of Gregor. He also begged Reagor to let him fight by his side and help him at the trident. Reagor refused saying that he needed Jaime to protect the castle while he was gone. After trusting Jamie with this task his last words to Jaime were that when he returned he would make changes to the Kingdom - strongly implying that he would remove his mad father from the thrown.

Looking at all of this, it seems to me that if Jaime were to meet Dany for the first time after all these years he would probably just fall apart with emotion. To go for so many years pushing away the memories of how he was unable to keep his promise to Reagor to protect his family..and how he himself was involved in the slaying of his father- and then suddenly to have Dany before him, how could he even take it? To avoid all those memories and emotions only to have them thrown back you... having a replica of Reagor's eyes suddenly staring back at him in the form of his little sister.

I think he would fall into a pile of blubbering mess at the first sight of her. The guilt would just be too much. I'm not sure he would be able to face her. Am I right?

Aside from what everyone has said below about how emotionally driven/bull-headed dany is about this, there's also the fact this assumes they meet. Either are not improbable deaths in the next book or so. Further, "Dany's Excellent Adventure in Essos" (being very sarcastic on that title - can barely stay awake through the Dany stuff, and it's due to Dany, as I find the Barristan chapters pretty solid) shows no sign of ending.

Yeah but I thought it was obvious the whole thread should be IF.

I am also not sure Dany will ever make it to Westeros. That does not necessarily mean she will die trying. But I sincerely doubt she will ever be tolerated on the Iron Throne, and if she is not going to die trying, that would probably leave her queen of some ashes in Essos...

• 1 month later...

It would've been one thing if Aerys was a rational, sane king; but he was mad and batshit crazy. I think Jaime was justified in what he did. We wouldn't be having this conversation if Aerys was rational and sane. I think that once a king becomes mad/crazy/etc. then vows to the king should be changed. Just like how when you have a contract, and the person becomes crazy/incapacitated/etc. then the contract is rendered void or voidable; the same should apply to the Kingsguard when they take their vows. Basically Aerys should've been dethroned sooner and that oftentimes, morality/doing the right thing should supersede one's vow to a king who is rendered mad.

:agree:

Back to the main topic, I think Dany might believe Jaime's story given that in the HotU she will remember seeing and hearing a man with Valyrian features in room with dragonskulls, her father in the throne room, saying "Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat." Combined with the evidence Tyrion presents of the hidden caches of wildfire under KL she will at least give Jaime the benefit of a doubt, hard as it may be.

I was wondering if someone would bring that up. I really want Dany to hear the whole truth about her father. It would be shocking, but she really needs to know, and Barristan and Jorah have both pulled back from telling even the things that are widely known, like the deaths of Rickon and Brandon Stark. In the House of the Undying, she saw that vision, but didn't know that the man who said "Let him be the king over charred bones and cooked meat, let him be the king of ashes" was her father or that the other man was Robert. But if she heard the story about Aerys wanting to burn the KL, especially if Jaime or Brienne told her what her father said, she would recognize the vision and know it's true. (I don't think Jaime would tell her to defend himself, but I can see him throwing the unpleasant truth in her face - that's very much his style. "Your father? Ah, Aerys the Second, King of the Andals, the Roynar and the First Men, Protector of the Realm. Do you want to know what a great man and king your father was?")

In-universe, only someone who was completely devoid of honour would fail to avenge their father, brother, nephew and niece. Jaime is dead if he ever falls into Dany's hands.

That's funny. I don't remember Dany being eager to avenge Viserys... :)

A good point. And, judging by

Arianne's sample chapter

a point that here enemies in Westeros won't be slow to make.

There's also this to consider

"Her khal killed her brother to make her queen. Then she killed her khal to make herself khaleesi."

People have been telling tales about Dany. It seems very believable even if its not true.

"Her khal killed her brother to make her queen. Then she killed her khal to make herself khaleesi."

People have been telling tales about Dany. It seems very believable even if its not true.

I think the PR writes itself.

Dany wanted her brother out of the way, and looked on as her husband murdered him cruelly. Then, she murdered her husband.

Only we, as readers, know that these charges are unfair. To even an unbiased third party, they would seem very plausible. To the Smallfolk, who love to believe the worst of their "betters", they'd be fact.

I think the PR writes itself.

Dany wanted her brother out of the way, and looked on as her husband murdered him cruelly. Then, she murdered her husband.

Only we, as readers, know that these charges are unfair. To even an unbiased third party, they would seem very plausible. To the Smallfolk, who love to believe the worst of their "betters", they'd be fact.

If she realise what everyone think(falsely) about her, she might question her own hate for the usurper dogs, but i doubt it.

I think he would fall into a pile of blubbering mess at the first sight of her. The guilt would just be too much. I'm not sure he would be able to face her. Am I right?

He would react this way if he saw bran

He does not feel guilty about the mad king and does not fear death

If they do meet it a lot will have transpired and we do not know what state either of them will be in (Jaime could be in all black by then)

The people in Westeros will likely have heard the rumors the Yunkai'i have been spreading. When Dany starts sending out ravens saying Aegon is fake, Aegon's supporters may likely be using and believing the lies the Yunkai'i spread, especially Arianne, simply to discredit her.

If Dany meets Jaime, he is probably going to die horribly. Tyrion might betray Dany to save Jaime though.

Daenerys is on a personal journey though, I suspect that at some point she'll understand her destiny, her role and her place in the world.

And with that knowledge, maybe she'll understand her father wasn't a good person, and that her House is filled with a lot of dark history.

Of course, if they met right now, at this point in Dany's life........then yeah, Drogon would be having lion for dinner :lol:

That's funny. I don't remember Dany being eager to avenge Viserys... :)

Viserys's killer died by her own hand, after suffering in agony for days. When Dany leaned over him, as he suffocated under the weight of that pillow, she whispered in his ear, "Dragons do not forget."

...at least, that's what her propaganda machine will say. I don't see why Dany will let Aegon, or Arianne, or whoever else have the last word. I realize that she's been absurdly passive the past book but that's more of a plot contrivance than something that a human being would actually do if they were fighting for their family's legacy.

Archived