The Walking Dead Season 4: Governor Hobo Chic (No comics spoilers)

MisterOJ

Old thread is over the limit. Continue on here.

I thought the governor episode was great last night. Really, really enjoyed it. I'm sure some folks will soon set me straight and tell me why it was crap though.

please allow me.

ok. it was not total crap. but, it was pretty poor. i understand we want to explore that which happened to our beleaguered governor after rick and friends shit in his cheerios. i get that. cool.

but, could we have done it better? could we have cast better actors? could we have not written them all as so helpless and dumb? the zombie-pocalypse has been going on for over a year. and in over a year they have not figured out the headshots kill rule? they have not really explored their surroundings? nothing? dad has stage four cancer...they know there is additional oxygen three fucking blocks away and had the one eyed hobo not come into their lives they would not have even made a play for it?

i totally get what they were trying to do with this episode. but, they should have tried a bit harder. the writing is up and down and up and down again. some consistency would be nice.

How much time has passed at the prison since the end of last season?

I believe I read that it was seven months from the end of last season to the beginning of this season. I'm guessing the Governor's story is still about a month or so behind the prison storyline.

but, could we have done it better? could we have cast better actors? could we have not written them all as so helpless and dumb? the zombie-pocalypse has been going on for over a year. and in over a year they have not figured out the headshots kill rule? they have not really explored their surroundings? nothing? dad has stage four cancer...they know there is additional oxygen three fucking blocks away and had the one eyed hobo not come into their lives they would not have even made a play for it?

Never underestimate the power of people to stay stationary and ignorant when they're sitting in a place of safety and comfort.

Seems I'm in the minority but I just didn't enjoy that episode at all, Weakest of the season imo. I maybe would of liked it more if they didn't spend all of last season turning the Gov into a complete cartoon villain but the attempt to humanize him just didn't work for me. I really hope next week isn't another all Governor episode.

Seems I'm in the minority but I just didn't enjoy that episode at all, Weakest of the season imo. I maybe would of liked it more if they didn't spend all of last season turning the Gov into a complete cartoon villain but the attempt to humanize him just didn't work for me. I really hope next week isn't another all Governor episode.

I'm afraid it is. At least there's no sight of the prison group in next week's trailer

I thought last night was going to wind up with the Governor standing outside the prison with the three females, asking them to please take them in.

And it may still wind up being like that. Which I think would be pretty cool.

I had the same thought (I figured that's where he was driving them). Knowing what we know, Rick's crew should take in the women should the option be presented. But you know they won't if they know they were associated with the Gov in any way shape or form.

On a different note, was I the only one who laughed when the Gov stepped out of his tiny tent to find nothing but an extinguished campfire and tire tracks?

A big miss for me. I get what the were going for but it was trite, manipulative, and utterly predictable. I never had any doubt where they were going with the Gov over the course of the episode, that he would slowly but surely become the protector of the family. But it wasn't very well done, it is one of those cases where they mistakenly think that taking it slow automatically makes something more poignant, when really the episode could have been half as long. I never found the Gov remotely sympathetic last season, and no matter how hard they tried to manipulate emotions this ep, that hasn't really changed a lot. Growing attached to a little girl doesn't do much to improve him. Hopefully next week will throw some meat on those ragged old hobo-Gov bones and this will be but a stumbling block in a mostly strong season.

The Governor is too weak of a fucking character to pull this redeeming storyline off. Might have worked if he hadn't killed them soldiers and then later his own people. His behavior is irrational, with vague motivations and no logic. Villian with a fucking purpose makes for great drama, this shit ain't working.

Yep, last night pushed me into a decision.

Unless some major changes are made in writing I am done with this series after this season.

I have a Saturday get-together with friends and we all watch the latest episode. I told them Saturday that I was leaning towards being done with this series. Next Saturday I will be telling them, no more leaning, when this season is over, I am through with it.

Well, I'm not quite as disdainful over this episode as many in this thread. In fact, I would call it my second favourite this season, just before the one with Rick and Carol, where he sends her away at the end (which I think was one of, if not the best episode in the series). I thought the Governor was a weak character last season, but I know there's mainly new writing this season and I'm willing to give it a shot. I really enjoyed his transformation. And at least I remembered that one part about him and his family. I could understand the whole bit about him hating himself, and not even wanting to kill zombies. And then I liked his chess lesson (though it wasn't quite D'Angelo's... if only Bob could be there to teach her instead).

One major criticism I have for this season (and last) is that their character transformations are too rapid. (I think this is the opposite of what someone above said, when he claimed they could have done last episode in half an episode.) Like, in one episode they had me loving to hating Carol. They completely flip Merle around in the second last episode last season (though they were setting up for it a bit). And now they completely flip the Governor in a single episode. It lacks that kind of subtlety that, say, Breaking Bad would have. With Walter, it was very gradual, until at some point I'm like "wait, why am I rooting for him again?" With HeisenCarol it was more a flip of a switch.

Anyway, that's what I'm most critical about. I don't really care about people being "too stupid for an apocalypse", or that kind of stuff. Human flaws are okay to me, even if they are exaggerated and inconsistent with natural selection.

I guess I'm in the minority because I liked the episode.

i liked it too. i see what everyone is saying about how crappy the gov is and how evil he is/was and now he's "changing" [.. maybe?] and that's just weird..

but i liked it cause i want to learn more about him [like in the 3 books kirkman has written about the gov.] Kirkman is definintly taking a slightly different turn in the show, but i'm very interested to see where it goes. but, i did miss seeing the prison and what the hell is going on in there..

AP, I'm with you. Too much bitching just to be bitching. In no way was this the worst episode of the season. And in no possible fucking way was this episode bad enough to quit watching the show. (At least to me)

Don't compare this character develpoment to Breaking Bad's character development because, frankly, BB is so far out ahead of everyone that everybody sucks compared to it.

Of course, this is my opinion. So I'm not telling you you're a moron for not liking this. I'm just saying that, like AP said, I'm tired of dreading reading this thread because I know I'm just going to get pissed off at the people pissing on a show that doesn't deserve THAT much derision.

I thought last week's episode was pretty damned good, but this last one didn't do it for me. I just sat there wishing the Gov would die before he inevitably does the horrible shit we all know he will do.

AP, I'm with you. Too much bitching just to be bitching. In no way was this the worst episode of the season. And in no possible fucking way was this episode bad enough to quit watching the show. (At least to me)

Don't compare this character develpoment to Breaking Bad's character development because, frankly, BB is so far out ahead of everyone that everybody sucks compared to it.

I think it was the worst episode of the season and that you are overrating Breaking Bad a tad there lol but just my pinion

Why did the governor dump the spaghettios? I thought he might just want to waste away but then he ate his canned tuna. Is he paranoid? Or just didn't want to owe them?

You ever had spaghettios? Stuff is nasty. I would dump it too. If it was between consuming a walker or a can of that, I'd probably choose the walker.

Archived