College Football: Offseason coaching drama and crootin'

MisterOJ

I like the first half of the list, but not so much with teh second half.

6. They should officiate every game correctly, not call less or more penalties.

7. The PA guy should know who the players are. It's not that difficult to do your homework and realize which players are on D, and which are on O.

8 and 9. I can actually get on board with these.

10. Nope. 6-6 teams shouldn't get in either, but there's no way a 5-7 team shoudl get into a bowl game. They should get rid of the rule where only bowl teams get the extra practices in the winter, and then get rid of shitty teams playing in bowls. The schools all lose money on these games anyway, outside of rare situations like a power team who has been down forever making their first bowl in 8 years or something the fans don't travel to these things, and the ratings aren't great either. Get rid of these rather than adding teams with losing records to the post-season.

I disagree with the article on #10 as well. There are too many damn bowls (don't see that changing). It is nice that there is more football to watch, but I honestly do not give a shit about a solid half of the bowl games we have now. Its such an obvious money grab to have so many and its devalued the product.

Especially in light of the new playoff system, I think a bowl should be a reward for a well played season. I'd be happy with a limited number of bowls, say 10 -15, for teams that don't make the playoff but are 7+ win teams. Unless it is my team I really can't get excited about watching two 6-6 teams go at it no matter what name is on the jerseys. Put a couple of 8 win teams together, though, and I'm in.

Ten Tweaks that could improve college football.

You know, I actually like every one of these.

I'd be down with those tweeks. For #11 I'd put in something that Bo Pelini has been talking about to drop some of the insanity from recruiting, and that is to get rid of signing day. If a recruit is ready to make a commitment to your school, and you are ready to make a commitment to them, sign right there.

Oklahoma is currently dealing with an incident where star recruit Joe Mixon allegedly punched a female student in the face. Hooray.

Don't worry. Standard penalty is two games.

The top 25 coaches poll is out:

1) Florida State (56)

2) Alabama

3) Oklahoma (3)

4) Oregon (1)

5) Auburn

6) Ohio State (1)

7) UCLA

8) Michigan State

9) South Carolina (1)

10) Baylor

11) Stanford

12) Georgia

13) LSU

14) Wisconsin

15) USC

16) Clemson

17) Notre Dame

18) Arizona State

19) Ole Miss

20) Texas A&M

21) Kansas State

22) Nebraska

23) North Carolina

24) Texas

25) Washington

This is shaping up to be WVU's most difficult schedule that I can remember. We play 3 teams in the preseason top 10 (Oklahoma, Alabama, Baylor), and 5 top 25 opponents overall (adding Kansas State and Texas). Sprinkle in that Texas Tech and Oklahoma State and Texas Christian and even Maryland will all be decent this year - man, I'll be pretty happy to get to 7 wins and a bowl game.

I'm hoping that recruiting has finally caught up and we've added the necessary depth to finish a season. Lack of depth was the main issue in 2012's late season collapse. Lack of depth plus lack of a QB caused 2013's collapse. I'm hoping that a more experienced team with a clear and healthy starter at QB (Trickett) will get the offense going. From what I've read the depth on D is much better now. I'll take even a top 50 D after the last two years.

Also, Alabama is a 27 point favorite in the opener over WVU. I almost never bet on the Mountaineers, but that line is tempting. I think that game will be closer than that. I could see Bama running away with it in the 4th, but I think it'll be 3 competitive quarters before they're able to grind WVU down. WVU tends to play the SEC well and also tends to get up for big OOC games. WVU also runs a hurry-up, no huddle that Saban seems to hate so. Bama also is starting a new QB and has a brand new offensive coordinator who happens to be Lane motherfucking Kiffen. I'm thinking WVU can beat that spread on scrappy-ness alone, even with Bama's superior roster.

Or if Les Miles coaches your team, have the players take a vote and let them decide. :dunce:

19) Ole Miss

I'm trying to temper my optimism but on paper this is far and away the most experience and talent we've had on a defense in my lifetime. Plenty of playmakers and a senior QB on the offensive side of the ball too, which is great provided they can find someone to block for them. O-line will be held together with duct tape & baling wire, which is why I think 19th is about right. Still, with the wealth of experienced contributors we have coming back, a 9-win regular season is within reach. It'll require a strong start, beating a team or two that we normally don't...and of course injury luck.

Speaking of that start, just four weeks from tonight we'll be in Atlanta to take on Boise St. in the kickoff classic. Hard to believe the start of the season is that close!

Also, Alabama is a 27 point favorite in the opener over WVU. I almost never bet on the Mountaineers, but that line is tempting. I think that game will be closer than that. I could see Bama running away with it in the 4th, but I think it'll be 3 competitive quarters before they're able to grind WVU down. WVU tends to play the SEC well and also tends to get up for big OOC games. WVU also runs a hurry-up, no huddle that Saban seems to hate so. Bama also is starting a new QB and has a brand new offensive coordinator who happens to be Lane motherfucking Kiffen. I'm thinking WVU can beat that spread on scrappy-ness alone, even with Bama's superior roster.

Y'all should be able to give Alabama a good game. They are breaking in a ton of new players on both sides of the ball. Even with secret weapon Lane Kiffin ( :lol:) they are bound to struggle a bit early.

You might want to jump on that line early before it corrects itself.

Unless you're USC, they'd lose ten scholarships and a bowl game as well as vacated wins for a player punching a girl.

One of the gambling lessons I learned over the past few years as an USC alum is this: Don't bet on your team when Lane Kiffin is on the coaching staff.

Unless you're USC, they'd lose ten scholarships and a bowl game as well as vacated wins for a player punching a girl.

Oh FFS get over it. We get it. You were all victimized by the NCAA. Do you need a hug? Would that help?

Majority Plurality of Power Five coaches want Power Five-only schedules.

Of the 65 Power Five coaches from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC and Notre Dame, 46 percent (30 coaches) favored playing exclusively Power Five opponents while 35 percent (23 coaches) were opposed. About 18.5 percent (12 coaches) were undecided.

Pac-12 coaches were heavily in favor of exclusive scheduling while the other conferences were split about even.

Archived