Fox's Fantastic Four reboot

Bastard of Boston

I wont watch this for the same reasons that I didn't go see the last Spiderman flick... FOX & Sony just suck at this brand... FOX is doing OK with the past few X-Men flicks... but I'll wait for cable on principle.... If we keep going to see movies where studio management makes stupid decisions and take for granted that assholes like me will pay for a ticket regardless of what they do.... then it'll never get better.

It's always worth waiting to know more about the final product before saying stuff like this.

I imagine the current direction is precisely about avoiding the fuck ups of the previous 2 shitpiles. Take the ideas and go the opposite direction with it. More grounded, more realistic, less cartoony. I imagine they did not hire the director of Chronicle by accident.

Whether this will actually work is anyone's guess.

Hiring a director who hates the source material, regardless of how good they are seems like a mistake. Although I suspect Nolan doesn't have a vast collection of BAtman comics either (but that character is far more malleable).

I agree we can't judge the film until it's out - it may even be a good film but it sounds increasingly like it won't be a good adaptation. Martin Scorcese could make a great film of the LOTR where it's about an intergalactic empire but it would be a bad adaptation.

Doom has an absurdly awesome back story, tons of character development and is an amazingly modern villain - a villain with great motivations, pride, character and intelligence.

How do you fuck that up that bad?

The best thing is that the above sentence could be delivered by Doom himself :)

Hiring a director who hates the source material, regardless of how good they are seems like a mistake. Although I suspect Nolan doesn't have a vast collection of BAtman comics either (but that character is far more malleable).

I agree we can't judge the film until it's out - it may even be a good film but it sounds increasingly like it won't be a good adaptation. Martin Scorcese could make a great film of the LOTR where it's about an intergalactic empire but it would be a bad adaptation.

That only suggests that "whether it's a good adaptation" is an utterly worthless standard.

That only suggests that "whether it's a good adaptation" is an utterly worthless standard.

I agree it probably needs to be "good adaptation and film" or "bad adaptation but great film".

I don't fully understand why you use the license if you then go and make something else entirely - just make the other film. Of course, Fox has to use the property or they lose it. I think that muddies the water considerably.

That said, it's not like Marvel haven't completely changed the FF or their other properties in order to breathe new life into it - even if it's solely to make people want the original version back.

When the heck are they going to release a teaser or something? Its been too long.

You'd think there'd be something by now. Hopefully it's because post production for the characters SFX are taking a while and they don't want to run a trailer until it looks good.

I agree it probably needs to be "good adaptation and film" or "bad adaptation but great film".

I don't fully understand why you use the license if you then go and make something else entirely - just make the other film. Of course, Fox has to use the property or they lose it. I think that muddies the water considerably.

That said, it's not like Marvel haven't completely changed the FF or their other properties in order to breathe new life into it - even if it's solely to make people want the original version back.

Cause you want to use parts of the license.

I mean, sure, you could make "The Amazing Quartet" instead with "Mr Amazing, The Transparent Lady, The Flaming Person and The Whatever". But at some point, you might as well just admit you are doing a reinterpretation and buy the license. And avoid getting sued.

And, of course, cause alot of times buying the license comes first. Then comes the ideas on how to interpret it.

• 1 month later...

Cause you want to use parts of the license.

I mean, sure, you could make "The Amazing Quartet" instead with "Mr Amazing, The Transparent Lady, The Flaming Person and The Whatever". But at some point, you might as well just admit you are doing a reinterpretation and buy the license. And avoid getting sued.

And, of course, cause alot of times buying the license comes first. Then comes the ideas on how to interpret it.

I'm not sure how in demand that exact set of powers is for doing a film about a group of heroes. It's not like Disney had to buy FF to do the incredibles (although they wound up buying everything else by disney

Well it seems it's been accused of being "chronicle 2 rather than Fantastic Four" and is now having reshoots. Slightly torn, as I'd quite like a chronicle 2 film but it goes back to my earlier point of why didn't they just let him make the film he wanted eg chronicle 2? Fox not liking something may mean it's actually quite good though :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that wasn't all that bad. It was intriguing without outright spoiling half the movie and I might actually be able work up some enthusiasm for it. Which means that the trailer did what it was intended to do.

Then again I've never actually cared much about The Fantastic Four, so I'm probably not going to be that bothered by whatever changes they make to the formula.

I liked the Broadchurch music (olafur arnalds seems to be having a good year for featuring in films and trailers)

I also thought I'd been tricked into a fake trailer as it started out like Interstellar.

Couldn't help but think "why so serious"? Although I sort of liked the part where they were crawling out of a pit as it reminded me of the first issue cover for some reason.

The back of the thing looks good.

Not bad at all, I thought it had the the fantastic action adventure feel, shoots were beautiful and Reed and Sue looked like scientists. They looked like Reed and Sue. I say this mostly because my idea of the fantastics are the ultimate series(my first serious start at comic books next to the Ultimate X-men). I did read a bit of other Fantastic Four Story lines, but the best ones involved more exploring and involvement of the science the FF were using, this works with that well.

Still scared about how they are going to handle the most terrible idea ever Doom Blogger and how the whole Sue was a adopted thing is going to eat screen time better or for worse, but this trailer was a well needed pick me up.

Now I haven't read the comics, as you guys probably all know by now. But from what I've read The Fantastic Four is one of Marvel's grittier titles. Kind of like Marvel's Batman I guess you could say? So I'm glad they've captured that tone in the trailer.

Now I haven't read the comics, as you guys probably all know by now. But from what I've read The Fantastic Four is one of Marvel's grittier titles. Kind of like Marvel's Batman I guess you could say? So I'm glad they've captured that tone in the trailer.

Is it? I haven't read much of the comics but from what I have the opposite is true. They can cover some pretty intense storylines, true, but there's always the sense of adventurous fun and, notably, often a really big scale.

how the whole Sue was a adopted thing is going to eat screen time better or for worse,

To be fair this doesn't really need to be the case. I'm fairly sure the only reason Johnny Storm is black is because Josh Trank likes Wallace (he was a key part in Chronicle, too), and that the adoption thing will be mentioned purely in passing to explain things.

To be fair this doesn't really need to be the case. I'm fairly sure the only reason Johnny Storm is black is because Josh Trank likes Wallace (he was a key part in Chronicle, too), and that the adoption thing will be mentioned purely in passing to explain things.

It would be funny if they go the peter dinklage rout and just ignore mentioning at all of outward appearance as if everyone is in the know and not surprised at all, that was the best part of days of future past.

Archived