[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

I understood the interview in the same light. Yeezus Kanye help us!

What we need is a German hardcore fan journalist to conduct the interview, not just a German journalist, as amazing as they sound. A journalist who knows each and every previous interview, knows the fandom, knows the current issues... So GRRM can't dodge the questions in the vaguest [ most unnerving, repetitive] of the ways. "That's not what I asked, George" <-- we need this.

Well, it wasn't a German journalist interviewing him here. Swiss people really hate being called German ...

As for pressuring him for an answer, he's professional enough to avoid answering questions he does not want to, so if pressed, I think he would just say that he doesn't want to adress this particular issue and move on.

So it was only conducted in German then? My bad!

(and who in their right mind calls the Swiss people German!? I'm European, never heard of it)

Good! Let him say "No comment" and be done with that until the book is out. He said himself a few times - you can't please everyone. So, why giving vague answers, for the sake of giving answers, and further getting himself into mess?

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/11/hbo-execs-discuss-game-thrones-tca-press-tour-outpacing-books-finishing-story-movie-rumor/

Found this just now...

Die Serie holt die Geschehnisse der Bücher rasant auf. Wird sie die Bücher überholen?
Diese Möglichkeit besteht. Eine Staffel besteht aus 500 Seiten Drehbuch. Meine Bücher haben 1500 Seiten.

Translated: the tv series show events of the books in a fast pace. Will it catch up to the books?

Answer: This possibility exists. (seems he made peace with it. Kind of) a season TV has 500 pages, my books have 1500

He also says stuff about that he sold the rights, so HBO doesn't need his permission to do stuff (specifically detract from the books). But mostly it's the same old stuff. An interviewer should ask him if it would bother him if the show would portray the ending of his books at the end of season 7. Three questions in one: A. would you mind 7 seasons B. do you think the show catches up if HBO would do just seven seasons and C. would it bother if the ending is shown on screen before the books show it.

LOL, leave it to the Germans not to mince words (again, from Google Translate):

Q: You have refused military service in Viet Nam. But your books are full of war. A contradiction? (...)

That was a really stupid question. They may as well have asked: "As far as we know, you have never murdered, raped or tortured anyone, but your books are full of murder, rape and torture. A contradiction?"

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/11/george-r-r-martin-reveals-major-battles-dragon-action-white-walkers-come-game-thrones/

What are your thoughts on an upcoming movie?

You know, this idea has been kicking around for a while. I have been asked about this, and somehow misconception is getting out that I’m the one that’s urging that we end the series with a movie. Let me make it clear that I’m not, I think it’s a good idea, but it’s not my idea to end this with a series of big movies. The question that we face with the show is that the books continue to get bigger and bigger, and the show really can’t get much bigger.

We’re the most expensive show on television, the most expensive show in the world right now, and we have the biggest cast as far as I know. We can’t keep adding characters and making the show more and more expensive. We’re pushing up against the limits there, so we either have to make some cuts going forward, and simplify the story, or we have to increase the format, and of course one way to do that, one way to get a lot more money, is to go with a motion picture budget rather than a television budget. A big fantasy motion picture, like one of the Peter Dinklage things, you have 200 million dollars for three hours, while one of our shows we have like 60 million dollars for ten hours.

So there’s a huge difference, and I happen to know, someone has told me, some source that I won’t name, that there will be some major battles coming up, and some dragon action, and some stuff with The Wall and White Walkers that looks to be kind of expensive. How are we gonna do that, I don’t know. But I’m not saying that they’re gonna happen, please don’t misquote me here. It’s not my idea, it’s just an idea that I’ve endorsed, let us say. I’d love to see it, but I think the odds are probably against it, it’s probably not going to happen. But maybe, who knows. One season at a time. Right now we’re making Season 5, they’re finishing the scripts, they’re going to start production, they’re setting sights on that. So that’s about all I can say about the movies.

We learned nothing new here. He's still delusional about films being made to give him more time, still doesn't acknowledge that the show will overtake him, and still not going to finish TWOW any time soon. Yet he continues to regurgitate this information in every interview.

At this point, he's probably spent more time in the last two years answering these questions than writing his book.

The google translate version of that Swiss interview are actually surprisingly accurate (native German here). What I find more interesting, though, is the latest HBO interview on WIC.net. Quoting straight from the text here:

“We’re not off on our own in respect to at least next season. Obviously George is an integral part of the creative team, so next season every move is being choreographed very closely with him. Certainly after next year we’ll have to figure it out with George. The book’s not finished at this point, but we’re in conversations with him. We’re not concerned about it.”

Read: We'll go on ahead and do our thing, but we'll talk to George about what's not published yet so we don't go completely off the rails.

“Our line to George as always been, ‘You keep writing and we’ll keep making the show.’”

Read: The show will definitely go on, even if the books are not done. No exceptions.

So far watching the show and reading the books have been two completely different experiences for me. Although I love both, I've been disappointed many times from favorite scenes being altered or left out of the show.

That being said, I bought the books and read them after the second episode because I wanted to know what happened to the the characters and how the story progressed. IF the show overtakes the books, I'll watch it for that reason: I want to know what happens. Whichever medium reaches me first will be how I experience the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire. Hopefully it will continue to entertain and fascinate me.

One interesting aspect of this will be how we all react to any discrepancies between the two if the show does past the books. Are we attached to the way things happen in the books because that's how we were first introduced to them? Will we complain about GRRM the way we complain and D&D sometimes if changes are made? Will we think the show's decisions are better than the author's?

Either way I'll have to watch if the show overtakes the books for the same reasons I read Clash, Storm, Feast and Dance before the second season aired. I wanted to know what happened to the characters and didn't want to wait nine months to do so.

What I find more interesting, though, is the latest HBO interview on WIC.net. Quoting straight from the text here:

Were not off on our own in respect to at least next season. Obviously George is an integral part of the creative team, so next season every move is being choreographed very closely with him. Certainly after next year well have to figure it out with George. The books not finished at this point, but were in conversations with him. Were not concerned about it.

My read: We shall thread lightly in regards to S5 and the material from TWoW. As to the S6,yeah - we'll stomp all over the place. Colour us spoiled! :)

Nothing surprising.

I have long thought that the sixth season was not going to be much of a problem because I confidently expected The Winds of Winter to be released before the spring of 2016, but this latest interview has given me pause.

When you compare how Martin was talking about A Dance with Dragons in the summer of 2010 to what he has said about The Winds of Winter this summer, it can do little but deflate your hopes that the next book being released this time next year.

Myself, I don't care how I find out first. I was spoiled to most of the twists and turns in the books and the show by various internet douchebags and yet that didn't effect my enjoyment of them. It will be interesting to see the differences between the mediums and, if the show ends up spoiling the books, it will be a sort of poetic justice against those spoiler trolls who've plagued the Unsullied since season one.

I don't think knowing the plot points will ruin the book experience. I read the books after season 1. The experience of reading about Ned's death and the hatching of the dragons wasn't diminished at all. It was still a pleasure getting those things that wouldn't have been practical to adapt like the ToJ dream and Bran's more detailed visions.

In fact, even though a big part of me would prefer getting the real thing first, in some ways I think it would be best to go into the books already knowing more or less what happens. I was so anxious to find out what would happen next that I initially read the books too quickly and too superficially. I was shocked when I made my way to this site to discover how much I missed the first time around. The first reread was actually much more rewarding because I was analyzing things and absorbing the details rather than sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next big shocking twist.

Hmm, that's a good point.

My experience pretty much mirrors your own: I watched the first two seasons back to back and then began reading the books, with a similar frenzy of "can't stop...can't stop...have to know!"

I had decided I wouldn't watch in the event of overtaking the books, and possibly not even watching the next season at all until some point in the future, when I'd read the final books already.

But, thinking about it, aye you're right... I didn't enjoy the earlier books any less for already knowing, in broad strokes, what was coming, and I'm definately conscious of rushing the later books.

Similar to yourself, when I first came to this site I found myself constantly wondering how I could have missed so much on my first read.

You've convinced me: I'll watch.

To flip the question around: I'm wondering if I'll bother to read the last book when/if it comes out. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to read the final books NOW, but I have a nagging suspicion that by the time the final book comes out, I'll be basically done with A Song of Ice and Fire, and will have waited long enough that I'll have lost interest. That's what happened to me long ago with Wheel of Time - eventually I got tired of refreshing myself on who the heck these characters were and what was going on every time a new book came out. Mind you, that was largely pre-internet, and these days getting reviews of characters and stories is a lot easier.

I guess it was a little similar for Caprica and whatever that later Battlestar Galactica made-for-TV film was - nothing particularly wrong with them, but I was simply done with that world. I can easily imagine the eighth and final Ice and Fire book coming out in 2028 or so, and me looking at it in a bookstore (if they still exist!), and thinking "Oh yeah, I was really into that back in the 2010s", and then moving on, perhaps with the same shake of my head that I now do when I see all the Lost DVDs stacked on my shelf.

To flip the question around: I'm wondering if I'll bother to read the last book when/if it comes out. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to read the final books NOW, but I have a nagging suspicion that by the time the final book comes out, I'll be basically done with A Song of Ice and Fire, and will have waited long enough that I'll have lost interest. That's what happened to me long ago with Wheel of Time - eventually I got tired of refreshing myself on who the heck these characters were and what was going on every time a new book came out. Mind you, that was largely pre-internet, and these days getting reviews of characters and stories is a lot easier.

I guess it was a little similar for Caprica and whatever that later Battlestar Galactica made-for-TV film was - nothing particularly wrong with them, but I was simply done with that world. I can easily imagine the eighth and final Ice and Fire book coming out in 2028 or so, and me looking at it in a bookstore (if they still exist!), and thinking "Oh yeah, I was really into that back in the 2010s", and then moving on, perhaps with the same shake of my head that I now do when I see all the Lost DVDs stacked on my shelf.

I'm the exact same way.

That was a really stupid question. They may as well have asked: "As far as we know, you have never murdered, raped or tortured anyone, but your books are full of murder, rape and torture. A contradiction?"

Actually it was a very german (dont hate me dear swiss!) question and if the interview would have been between two germans (or seemingly two swiss) the answer would be potentially great. It is an invitation to explain what your real intention was in writing something. And so this is a rather open question. But I admit the interviewer should have thought about the cultural differences.

Actually that´s your job if you have an interview with a foreigner...

The google translate version of that Swiss interview are actually surprisingly accurate (native German here). What I find more interesting, though, is the latest HBO interview on WIC.net. Quoting straight from the text here:

(...)

I was amazed as well. But isn´t it interesting how the tone is rather different? I wouldn´t have understood the questions as rude as it sounds in the word by word translation.

She is not only commenting on the books, but the show, too:

Believe me, those 'minor' changes have some major consequences: books and tv will diverge more and more.

Are we to assume she knows the plans of the showrunners, too?

Archived