Marwyn the Mage - Dragon Theory

The Bittersteel

Pondering the significance of Marwyn's departure for Meereen in A Feast for Crows to become Daenerys master, is it possible considering how widely travelled and knowledgeable he is concerning magic that he will be the key to aiding Daenarys taming her dragons? Clearly an issue she would have to resolve before departing for Westeros. Is it possible that the secrets of taming dragons lie in the Citadel and given access to them a talented yet slightly maverick maester such as Marwyn could pass them on to others?

I can't see Dany being too welcoming to him, if she remembers her recent history he was the Marwyn was the Maester who instructed MMD & that didn't end well.

I wouldn't rule it out, because it's fiction. But who would seriously remember a name they heard once three years ago, especially after everything else that's happened to her.

Dany has already Tamed one dragon. She needs 2 more riders, pretty sure one of them is already in SB picking up white dragons civasse pieces. It's not exactly like training a dog, and she has no help. The dragon lords in Valyria had their whole families to bond and tame dragons together. Dany has had to work on this totally alone thus far, and even though the dragons seem wild, IMO they would be a lot worse if she hadnt raised them from eggs like she did.

I think Tyrion will be helping Dany tame and train her dragons using his knowledge of dragonlore. I think Marwyn will be Dany's Grand Maester, and he will reveal to her some tips on dragons, but mostly the Citadel's grand conspiracy, and their involvement in the Dance of Dragons.

He's a secret Targaryen. It is known. He also dishonoured Ashara's Dayne.

I wouldn't rule it out, because it's fiction. But who would seriously remember a name they heard once three years ago, especially after everything else that's happened to her.

As you said, it's fiction. If she mentions him and he's on his way to find her, they will meet. Foreshadowing. Also, he might be able to explain the magic behind the birth of her dragons, or whatever actually happened to Rhaego.

Slightly off-topic maybe, but: The entire Marwyn "storyline" (such as it is) always struck me as ... odd? He seems like he could be such a game-changing character, and yet it felt like he had just popped up out of nowhere, and then disappeared again.

Part of me wonders if he hasn't been hanging around in the background somewhere, unrecognized.

Are we even sure that Marwyn is not using the Palantir-scented candles to plot AAR's demise with the great other?

What if Marwyn is really traveling to help Stannis, the real AAR?

What if Quaithe and Marwyn are one and the same?

What if Marwyn is another of Varys' disguises?

I can't see Dany being too welcoming to him, if she remembers her recent history he was the Marwyn was the Maester who instructed MMD & that didn't end well.

But I don't see Dany executing him right away. As soon as Marwyn tells about the Maester conspiracy, she's prone to listening.

I consider Marwyn kind of a wildcard. At face value, he looks like he'd be a good ally or someone who could help her tame the dragons or learn more about them.

However.

He's also the guy who mentored Mirri. And somehow I don't think that it's a coincidence that GRRM has the mentor of the woman whom Dany burned alive end up en route to Dany. Whether this backfires on Marwyn or on Dany, who's to say. But Marwyn is Mirri's mentor for a reason.

He's sex. I want him to make waves, slap sense into Dan E. with his wacky voice of reason, and change the entire flavor of her invasion so it makes sense when it comes. He may have more ideas on how to curb the disease than how to tame the dragons.

But here's today's suspicion: he took the decision away from the Citadel and told Sam to sit down and shut up while he took advantage of Sam's info. Uh.... but that's okay because the Citadel isn't to be trusted, right? ....But who put that in our minds? Marwyn! He may be pulling a fast one, beating the more responsible Maesters to the punch so he can perpetrate something horrible.

He also beat it out of town before the Faceless Man in the room with them could assassinate him, nor did he give the Alchemist time to change identities to follow Marwyn onto the boat ?!?!?!?!? (But he can't have known that he was in danger because he left everyone else at the mercy of the Faceless, so that makes him look unaware and perhaps not the guy who's equal to that tricky Meereen situation?????) Eh.

If Marwyn and Tyrion are the stable boys for the lizards that'd be swell for the conversations we'd overhear.

Are we even sure that Marwyn is not using the Palantir-scented candles to plot AAR's demise with the great other?

What if Marwyn is really traveling to help Stannis, the real AAR?

What if Quaithe and Marwyn are one and the same?

What if Marwyn is another of Varys' disguises?

You forgot about him also being the Nights King and Hodor

I consider Marwyn kind of a wildcard. At face value, he looks like he'd be a good ally or someone who could help her tame the dragons or learn more about them.

However.

He's also the guy who mentored Mirri. And somehow I don't think that it's a coincidence that GRRM has the mentor of the woman whom Dany burned alive end up en route to Dany. Whether this backfires on Marwyn or on Dany, who's to say. But Marwyn is Mirri's mentor for a reason.

Didnt Qyburn study Marwyn's work as well? He's got some interesting devotees.

IIRC, Marwyn trained MMD in Westerosi HEALING techniques, not magic. He went East to learn the magic. It was possibly a trade - she taught him blood magic, he taught her healing.

That doesn't make him MMD's conspirator.

I agree with above who said Marwyn is a wild card. We really don't know what he will do or why. But the MMD connection does not necessarily mean he and MMD were ever on the same team.

IF Dany remembers (or is somehow reminded, say he unwittingly brings it up himself) it would probably cause instant distrust from Dany's side though. But then Tyrion is (probably) also en-route to meet her, and she's bound to distrust him, too.

IF Dany remembers (or is somehow reminded, say he unwittingly brings it up himself) it would probably cause instant distrust from Dany's side though. But then Tyrion is (probably) also en-route to meet her, and she's bound to distrust him, too.

Yeah, but she will probably still listen.

Archived