Darkest book you've ever read

First of My Name

It really depends how you define Darkness. And it can be done many ways, but I think what makes the most sense is, if you consider time. Let me explain:

The more you grow up, the less you are scared, appalled ect. by something, because you already gathered enough experience to know what to expect in life. So the earliest experiences are always darker than the ones that come after. So BY DEFINITION you are not looking for the darkness that comes after but:

The Darkness That Comes Before

Awakenings by Oliver Sacks.

May I ask why? I really liked it.

For me:

"Island" by Aldous Huxley and "1984" by George Orwell.

And "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis.

The manga "Battle Royale".

"Les liaisions dangereuses" by Choderos de Laclos.

"Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

I might be missing some.

I'd probably say The Walking Dead as well in the form of it's comics, but I would also say Brother In The Land which is considered a Young Adult novel, but with so many people dead, dying and the pain people suffer it's really dark especially for teen readers.

Anyone that has read it will know what I mean, no spoilers being given :)

The Tunnel by William H Gass. A "professor of the Holocaust" digs a tunnel in his backyard to metaphorically escape his life. When it's not talking about the Holocaust we get an all-too-intimate look at a man full of self-loathing, from hating his own fat body and small penis, to being unable to cope with nearly everything else in the world. Astonishingly beautiful prose, and just absolutely the most depressing thing ever. Brutal.

ETA: It took Gass 26 years to write this book. How did he not kill himself in the process?

@ King Tyrion I

The book is not that dark, I guess. Sacks is a compassionate doctor, and a very good author. It is evident in Awakenings, and in his other works. It was the disease that I found really disturbing. This wasn't a state of complete unconsciousness. The patients were (real people) trapped in their own bodies, fully aware of the world around them.

@ King Tyrion I

The book is not that dark, I guess. Sacks is a compassionate doctor, and a very good author. It is evident in Awakenings, and in his other works. It was the disease that I found really disturbing. This wasn't a state of complete unconsciousness. The patients were (real people) trapped in their own bodies, fully aware of the world around them.

Thank you for your answer.

Sacks is indeed awesome - and I like his books and his pov very much. I want to become a doctor (a radio-neurologist), I work as a male nurse atm, and I share his views.

I found it very interesting to read about encephalitis lethargica.

I read a couple of his other books because they are great to read.

Just to toss some out there I'll go with Blood Meridian, American Pyshco, Requiem for a Dream, Child of God and Dorian Gray.

Yeah, McCarthy doesn't write a lot of "pick me ups." Reckon I read about one or two a year, and spend several months afterwords thinking, "...the FUCK just happened?!"

Well, the Second Apocalypse is probably the darkest fantasy I've ever read, followed by aSoIaF.

Although, sometimes if a story's too "dark," it stumbles over the line into self-parody - where the reader becomes cynical. Personally, I kind of like this sort of story. The cold, harsh reality of some "dark" novels are sometimes too disturbing, but not as disturbing as the nonfiction brand.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy sprang immediately to mind. Blood Meridian is certainly bleak - as are most of his books - but I read The Road when my daughter was a toddler and it really hit home. It's one of the few books that has moved me to tears.

I didn't read it myself, but back in high school, we were supposed to read books that were "realistic". An older class than me was given a book about a fifteen years old girl who was raped and got pregnant, and the family was very desperate because they didn't know what to do. The class was of fourteen-fifteen years old teenage girls. Some parents complained, but it was in the syllabus. I'm lucky I didn't read that one: next year we got Verne...

Spine of the World by R.A. Salvatore is the first thing that pops into my head.

:huh:

Anyway, I'll go with H.P. Lovecraft. There's such a splendid array of fatalism and bleakness in his works that hits the right spot.

"Les liaisions dangereuses" by Choderos de Laclos.

May I ask why ? Not that it isn't dark, but it never seemed "top-tier" dark to me. (been a while though, maybe I've forgotten some aspects of it)

Come to think of it, the second half of Zola's L'Assommoir is some of the most depressing stuff I've read.

Also, Germinal.

Zola was one depressing fellow. That said, he's better at it than writing happy endings (ahem Au Bonheur des Dames)

It's always hard for me to remember the books I've read when asked, but off the top of my head, I'd say :

Lolita, Nabokov

Le dernier jour d'un condamné and Les Misérables, Victor Hugo

L'écume des jours, Boris Vian

1984, Orwell

Journey to the End of Night, Céline

Archived