Sandor's "Redemption"

Bustard

Um, will Sandor even care about redemption? He's not like Jaime (thank god) he was very aware and accepting of who and what he was which was a killee.

Im sure he'll fight RS, probably not on Cersei's rrial but they will. I can't see him letting go of his hate and fear of Gregor which is his hate and fear of fire. Which is why I can easily see him hunting down Strong even if he was some empty shell of his brother, theres just too much to let go. . . Unless of course GRRM writes that he does (shrug)

Sandor wasn't in peace. Now he is. The Faith helped him to gain it, are they going to make him fight his brother again?

Yes, it sounds obvious that Sandor is going to fight Gregor, but maybe they choose someone else, for one main reasons.

Cersei wins, apparently, according to Mercy chapter. If she wins, that means Gregor wins. If Gregor wins, means Sandor is dead. I doubt he will die so early on the story. He needs to meet Little Bird again.

Did I miss a detail or something when I read the Mercy Chapter? Didn't catch anything about Cersei winning.

Edit: Just looked. Only references I see to Cersei are all based on actions that predate her incident with the faith, unless I'm just royally missing something

Um, will Sandor even care about redemption? He's not like Jaime (thank god)

If he's "not like Jaime (thank god)", then that's all the more reason to believe his redemption might actually mean something. Jaime does not care about redemption (in any genuine sense) - only about what others think of him.

If the Dornish Master Plan theory has any truth to it, Doran Martell has one Sand Snake able to influence the High Sparrow and one Sand Snake in the Small Council, and these are definitely places of influence that can unmask the true identity of Ser Robert Strong. In knowing Robert Strong's true identity, Sandor might be named Champion of the Faith, sent to end the abomination created by Cersei/Qyburn and also to put an end to his own inner torments.

His combat might be seen by the Faith as a two in one sort of deal. Stranger's behavior in the Quiet Isle was a representation of what is actually going on in Sandor's soul, he is not fully tamed, the inner struggle is not truly over, and the combat itself might be seen as the only way to put the Hound to rest, and let Sandor be in peace.

Edit: as said here before, killing does not seem to be the way of the Faith, but killing an abomination, that is actually dead, might not be seen as killing at all. The Dornish Master Plan would make this killing a rightful killing.

Can you have redemption without a mea culpa? If Sandor does not own up to any of his crimes and misdeeds is it really redemption? Killing his brother is a goal he's had since he was a little boy; this is just his wish coming to fulfillment. This is why I think UnGregor will win, but then become some sort of hell-on-earth monster x10 and that's when Sandor will be sent after him.

He already did, in ASOS, twice.

He already did, in ASOS, twice.

I'm thinking this would be when he won the trial by combat against Beric Dondarrion and his 'death' scene with Arya. Plus, the Elder Brother seems to have had quite a conversation with the Hound which sounds like it contained an airing of Sandor's crimes and soul.

Nothing wrong with putting Franken-Gregor out of his misery, but pissing on his grave would be a bit unholy. I think Saint Sandor has a date with a different monster.

Dragons terrible wicked creatures. Brave men kill them. Can a man be brave when he is afraid? That is the only time a man can be brave. Sandor's fear of fire, and his facing of that fear, is already a theme. His ultimate destiny (and redemption) is not hard to guess.

Another fire possibility is wildfire.

The hound is horribly afraid of fire the undead only die by fire

Hound gets over his fear and uses fire to kill Undead Greg Plus taking the ultimate revenge for his whole life after Greg chucked him into a fire so to speak

Sandor will kill Gregor, but it will be no redemption. Sandor does not want to kill his brother, he knows that he will kill him. Gregor probably knows it as well, maybe he knew even before the fire incident. I would not be surprised if there were some prophecy told to them in their early childhood.

I have never seen that Sandor as a criminal. He certainly has no problem talking about what he has done, but I do not remember reading anywhere that he did anything he should not, was he brutal yes, but warriors were hard men.

I have never seen that Sandor as a criminal. He certainly has no problem talking about what he has done, but I do not remember reading anywhere that he did anything he should not, was he brutal yes, but warriors were hard men.

He may not have done anything that was illegal while he worked for the Lannisters, but doesn't mean it's not really immoral and shouldn't be considered a crime.

Agreed. He had orders to kill Mycah, but he owned up to it, and felt bad about it. Did Ned do something heroic to redeem himself for killing the men he killed, guarding his sister and afraid of a White Walker, or Lady?

At any rate, I don't see Sansa becoming Cersei's prisoner again. Been there, done that. And killing his dead brother's body, he didn't even kill him when he had the chance, Ned noticed that at the tourney.

He may not have done anything that was illegal while he worked for the Lannisters, but doesn't mean it's not really immoral and shouldn't be considered a crime.

Which is a similar state of affairs for many of the characters in the series. The question of course is, if Sandor comes back into the story, will he have changed? How will that change manifest? Has the EB helped Sandor to realize that some of his acts, even those committed while under orders were immoral?

Sandor has shown that he is capable of good acts and has being on the QI allowed him to see and recognize the good in himself? This is why I want more for SC than killing RS, if he comes back I'm hoping to see GRRM has written some redemption for him and how it may play out.

What is the deal with the mystical Elder Brother stuff. How about Sandor getting credit for the slow and difficult change he went through, all on his own. And Sansa's influence, as well. The Hound "died" before the Elder Brother even had a chance to speak to him. And it doesn't sound like much speaking goes on around there, either. So further reflection, that's Sandor doing that for himself, as well.

Which is a similar state of affairs for many of the characters in the series. The question of course is, if Sandor comes back into the story, will he have changed? How will that change manifest? Has the EB helped Sandor to realize that some of his acts, even those committed while under orders were immoral?

Sandor has shown that he is capable of good acts and has being on the QI allowed him to see and recognize the good in himself? This is why I want more for SC than killing RS, if he comes back I'm hoping to see GRRM has written some redemption for him and how it may play out.

Sandor didn't need the EB to realize that. He already knew it was wrong. He confessed what he found to be crimes/sins (at least those related to Arya, who he was confessing to) twice, after the fight with Beric and when he was asking Arya to kill him - and it included killing Mycah and laughing about it, standing by in his white cloak and letting the KGs beat Sansa at Joffrey's orders, and standing by when Ned was executed. The latter two weren't even things that Arya begrudged him for, he was only guilty of inaction, and realistically, he couldn't have interfered without being punished for it, perhaps even executed or at least thrown into dungeon. But it shows that Sandor did feel deep inside that he should be doing good and act like a 'true knight' would; he's the only person in the series besides Jaime who's ever expressed guilt for inaction when people in power were committing crimes (Jaime felt that way about letting Aerys rape his wife/sister/queen Rhaella).

Archived