Westeros Experts League 2014

JJ Lannister

Another year, another Autojax Gone Wild. Autojax craved a 5th RB more than a QB. Not pretty. Played havoc with my strategy to pick up RB2 and RB3 so I just went back to my old comfort zone - MORE QUARTERBACKS!

My team.

QB: Peyton, Romo (Wilson, Tannehill, JohnnyFootball)

WR: Demaryius, Maclin, T Williams, T Smith (E Sanders, M. Wallace, R. Randle)

RB: J. Bell, MJD, L. Miller (B. Pierce, D. Freeman, A. Williams)

TE: Ertz, J. Reed

K: Gostkowski

DT: 49ers, Denver (Tampa Bay)

Typical Bronn draft in spending big on two players early and then sitting and sitting and sitting until everyone spent out. Lots of good bargains and a roster full of $2 and $3 guys and few $1 (Manziel, and two of the defenses were the only ones).

My team:

QB - Brady, Luck (Cassel, Bridgewater)

RB - A. Peterson, D. Murray, T. Richardson (R. Rice, S. Greene, D. Sproles, B. Brown)

WR - M. Crabtree, G. Tate, M. Colston, R. Wayne (B. Cooks, D. Hopkins, M. Evans)

TE - D. Allen, T. Eifert (L. Toilolo)

K - B. Walsh

DST - New Orleans, Tennessee

Pretty happy w/ this.

Weird draft for me. Normally I spend big on 3 or 4 players and this time I held back.

QB: Newton, Stafford (EJ Manuel, Vick)

WR: Cobb,V. Jackson, Cordarelle Patterson, Shorts III (Cooper, Nicks, Tavon Austin)

RB: Lynch, LeVeon Bell, Doug Martin (Pierre Thomas, Moreno, Michael, McFadden)

TE: Pitta, Walker (Amaro)

K: Tucker

D: Carolina, Cincinnati

I wasted $1 on McFadden. Did not think before I hit $2 on him. Would have been much happier having an extra $1 at the end. Last year I went big on QBs and it did not work for me. Hopefully this one works. I think I like the team but did no prep for the draft so not sure.

Yeah, I made a few mistakes but I think I can work with things.

My team:

QB: Dalton, Kaepernick (Flacco, Locker)

WR: AJ Green, A. Brown, Edelman, Wright (Wheaton, Boykin, D. Baldwin)

RB: McCoy, Jennings, C. Johnson (FJax, T. West, Woodhead, Polk)

TE: Cameron, Clay (Cook)

K: Hauschka

DT: Rams, Patriots

I don't know what the hell I was thinking taking Wheaton when I already had Brown. And Polk's injury somehow slipped through the cracks for me but...oh, well. Like I said, those two things, at least, won't hurt too much and should be relatively easy to rectify.

Not a bad draft... I am happy with everything but starting QBs,

My team

QB: Eli Manning, Josh McCown (Chad Henne)

WR: Wes Welker, Dez Bryant, Sammy Watkins, Dwayne Bowe (B Hartline, K Benjamin,S Holmes, S Johnson, M Jones)

RB: Matt Forte, Arian Foster, CJ Spiller (M Ingram, B Green-Ellis)

TE: Jimmy Grahm, Matellus Bennet (J Finley)

K: Dan Bailey

D: Houston, Minnesota

I gambeled a bit on the Minnesota Defense, but with Zimmer at the helm of that team, that may just wind up a sneaky pick. Welker was a steal for $12, but I overpaid for a couple of players thanks to Mya bluffing the bid... Damn that Mya Stone, She not only messed up my QB plans, but she quietly drafted a really solid team as well.

QB: P. Rivers, B. Roethlisberger (S. Hill, B. Bortles)

RB: J. Charles, M. Ball, B. Tate (J. Hill, L. Blount, K. Davis, J. White)

WR: J. Nelson, A. Johnson, M. Floyd, E. Decker (J. Hunter, K. Britt)

TE: R. Gronkowski, K. Rudolph

D: Buffalo, Cleveland

I wanted the next level up of QBs, but had (happily) spent a ton on RB1 and 2 very early in the draft. Was glad to get in on the last tier of QB I was still okay with starting though really wanted Romo.

I like how this team turned out and hope it can return the Cobra Kai to its winning ways.

Nothing like the constant vigilance required by an Experts draft! So much more varied strategies than all the standard roster drafts I've done so far.

Nothing like the constant vigilance required by an Experts draft! So much more varied strategies than all the standard roster drafts I've done so far.

Yeah, Experts drafting is always very interesting. This year, Experts also happened to be my first "real" draft. Although, I'm not sure there's any such thing as "practicing" for this league anyway...

I like my team, but will be making trades to upgrade rb3 and QB2. Good depth at wr and te. Need rb help. Love my number 1's at all positions. Cutler, Jones, Lacey, and Thomas. Send the proposals. Anyone can be had except Lacey.

QB- Cutler, Palmer ( A. Smith )

Rb- Lacey, Bush, S. Jackson (Hyde, K. Robinson)

Wr- J. Jones, Garçon, Harvin, Stills ( S. Smith, A. Dobson, B. Lafell, G. Jennings, D. Amendola)

Te- J. Thomas, G. Olsen ( Wright )

K- Dawson

Def- Az, NYJ

It's not bad. It'll likely get me out of Jaxoming range unless Rodgers gets injured early. And there is some potential for greatness here and there. The problem is just a massive lack of depth.

For clarification, here's the roster:

QB: Rodgers, Brees (Schaub, Glennon)

RB: Morris, Matthews, Gore (Stewart, Hillman, Brown)

WR: Fitz, DeSean, Boldin, Jordan Matthews (Marqise Lee, Eddie Royal, Beckham Jr, Streater)

TE: Gates, Fleener

DST:Balt, Pitt (Miami)

The three RBs are fine. The WRs are at least likely to score every week if not put up amazing numbers, and I have hopes for Matthews given his preseason. TEs are also likely to get a decent amount of points. But if I get hit by any injuries I'm totally hosed.

Yeah, Experts drafting is always very interesting. This year, Experts also happened to be my first "real" draft. Although, I'm not sure there's any such thing as "practicing" for this league anyway...

Yeah, it's fun to see the different strategies. Kal going 2 mega elite QBs, Bronn loading up on quality depth, auto-Jax not resting until it has the best RB5 in the league. This league has more different ways to try to build a competitive edge than any other.

Not super happy with mine. Really shouldn't have spent on gore.

Think it was Dolorous Edd who first tried the two super elite QB strategy a few years back. Think he had Brady and Rodgers if I remember right for like $110. His attempt failed but the good news you got your two QBs cheaper than he did and you definitely have more talent around your two studs than he did. How the bye weeks go and how your depth performs will decide it.

Think it was Dolorous Edd who first tried the two super elite QB strategy a few years back. Think he had Brady and Rodgers if I remember right for like $110. His attempt failed but the good news you got your two QBs cheaper than he did and you definitely have more talent around your two studs than he did. How the bye weeks go and how your depth performs will decide it.

I did it last year. Had Brees and Rodgers in Dynasty. Finished last. And had Brady and Manning in one other league. It wasn't an auction though (and I forgot Brady is no longer elite). I think I lost in the first round of the playoffs in that one.

I did it last year. Had Brees and Rodgers in Dynasty. Finished last. And had Brady and Manning in one other league. It wasn't an auction though (and I forgot Brady is no longer elite). I think I lost in the first round of the playoffs in that one.

Yeah, you'd have been destroyed by Rodgers' injury last year.

Yeah, you'd have been destroyed by Rodgers' injury last year.

Well that and Trent Richardson was my RB1. I did get Lacy cheap, so that helps a little.

Carson Palmer was my backup. But I had spent $137 on Rodgers, Brees and Richardson. I had some good cheap sleepers, but you can't recover from that.

6649er used the 2 elite QB strategy in Experts in 2012. He finished 5-8. But he also did a pretty awful job filling out the rest of his team. Yours should be much better, even if you're somewhat weak at WR and TE.

A guy in my money league tried it last year. He actually had good WR/TE, and opted to sacrifice at RB. It went well for the first part of the season, but everything fell apart when Rodgers got hurt.

I definitely think it's a viable strategy, as long as you are smart/disciplined when drafting the rest of your roster.

Right - it's a glass cannon kind of strategy. If Brees and Rodgers stay healthy in this year - a year where we are likely to see passing records obliterated due to the rule emphasis - and if I can get some decent production out of the rest of the roster, it'll be fine.

But if my RBs suck, if my WRs are inconsistent (or just plain bad), if either QB gets injured for any length of time - it'll be kinda hosed.

I could see this team having absurd variability and be the team everyone hates to play, just because 200 point days are so much easier when you have two QBs that can go for 50 each. But I don't see it going super far with the lack of depth.

Archived