Gotham TV

Howdyphillip

I gave it a good half hour. Not a show for me. It feels like it's been...Artificially sped up. Like its playing on 1.10x speed.

Yep, I feel the same way. I started watching it OnDemand last night and... began to doze at about the thirty minute mark, turned it off and went to bed. Visually, it looks great. But... it's a network show and it feels like a network show. Meh.

I very much liked the pilot.

Best thing, IMO, was Donal Logue (which is usually the case for me). I thought he really brought forth the smarmy, not evil but bad cop vibe in his role. It's obvious he is one of the crooked cops and while he may be a bit conflicted (drinking heavily before going to set up the killer of the Waynes and trying to rescue his partner) he still does the bad things.

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who kept getting a Jeremy Renner vibe from Gordon, who I must say has the most descriptive eyebrows lol.

The setting was fantastic, IMO. The early 80s vibe of everything juxtaposed with modernish technology was great.

Overall, very excellent start to the show. The characters themselves will make me want to continue watching, so I'm looking forward to future episodes.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the Joker - I'll put the next bit in spoilers as it's what the makers of the show have said regarding the character

the Joker is known to have several "origins" check out the scenes in DKR as an example, What the showrunners are going to play with throughout the season is to have background characters (played by different actors) who fit each of these origins. So by the time we get to the Joker we won't know which one it was (unless they stick with one of the actors) as he'll be deformed.

. I think that's a great idea and again adds to the mythic quality of the characters.

There's a link about it here - obviously containing minor spoilers. We can make a game of it every week :)

LOVED the pilot. Awesome about the Joker tease. I'm sure to be watching the rest of the season.

If they're going for the grim feel, Gordon really should have shot the guy asking for pills in the beginning, Indiana-Jones-style-badass. Also, too many nods; I couldn't help but think of this. Then there's the end. Why is Penguin killing a random fisherman? Combined with Fish Mooney, it left me wondering if character motivation is going to be limited to "because he's/she's evil." The Barbara/Montoya relationship is similarly lazy. Montoya's gay, so of course she had a relationship with one of the other two speaking female roles. Which apparently she can't move on from, while Barbara is either faking heterosexuality or hiding her bisexuality and past relationship from Jim for the sake of milking cheap melodrama. And then there's what should be the ridiculous line, "I'm learning to conquer fear." I'd go on about how the writers are relying on the audience to fill in the gaps if I thought it would matter.

Anyway, I didn't like it. Maybe I was expecting too much. That said, I think I'll be one of the few. I think this is going to appeal to a decent-sized audience.

I don't think it would have been in character for Gordon to shoot the guy in the beginning. Other than that, I agree with your criticisms, especially on Montoya and Barbara. That just seems forced. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the show. As for character motivation, I'm willing to give the show a few more episodes to build up Fish Mooney and the Penguin, especially since both seem to have potential. So while I do mostly agree with what you're saying, it's still just the pilot episode. The characters aren't fully developed, and it's at least done enough to get me to watch the next few episodes to see if it gets any better. I do think the show has medium-high potential, so I think it's worth checking out the first few episodes.

Another thing struck me on the rewatch I generally don't freak and go "think of the children will someone please thnk of the children" but that scene in the warhouse/slaughterhouse probably more intense then it should have been like something off HBO. This aried at 8 didn't it? Were they trying to make little kids piss the bed in fear?

Another thing struck me on the rewatch I generally don't freak and go "think of the children will someone please thnk of the children" but that scene in the warhouse/slaughterhouse probably more intense then it should have been like something off HBO. This aried at 8 didn't it? Were they trying to make little kids piss the bed in fear?

It should be a 9pm show, but either way i'm glad they don't go to PG...Gotham is not PG.

I actually watched the premiere with my kids (yes, I'm pretty much regretting that decision on my part...). They reacted at that scene but it wasn't too big of a deal, especially how it played out at the end. I was more disturbed by the language. Every swear word (and there were quite a few) I had to have that little lecture about how those words aren't proper and by all that is sacred and holy, don't tell your mother we were watching this.

There was worse in the comics, far worse. PG is not what the people want. I'm pretty sure it opened with 'Viewer discretion advised' anyways.

It's true that Gotham should not be a PG, and I guess that's a big part of why it's better than I feared- the trailers made it look like a show aimed at a fairly young audience, but it's not nearly so bad as it looked for that.

If by young you mean 20 somethings then I agree. I never walked away with the premise that this was for the ten year old set.

I don't know much about the Batman universe canon. So I was wondering. As far as "typical" goes. Since I know the comics must get routinely rebooted. Is it typical for all the Villians to be a decade or so, older than Bruce Wayne?

I guess I just assumed that the age bracket was similar to Batman.

Not sure how I felt about the pilot episode. It wasn't bad. It just didn't grab me. I'll give it a few more episodes. See where the show plans to go after all the introduction, nods and fan service is out of the way.

Honestly the only character I clicked with is Alfred. And if this show goes the way it's been suggested and it isn't a Bruce Wayne focused show. Then I have to assume the we won't see much of Alfred either.

I think it would be reasonable. Most of his antagonists aren't really hands on (especially the ones seen here). Batman in his late twenties vs villains in their 40s fit. I'm sure that's why Catwoman is younger as she has to be more acrobatic and in same age range as a love interest (not that it would matter later in their lives). I think Bane should be +/- 5 years. Two-face should be a similar age as they made them out as contemporaries. Zsasz should probably be a similar age to Bruce too. Hopefully it's not just the female villains who are all younger.

I suspect we'll see scare crow as a psychiatrist sooner rather than later. Or a cryogenics expert.

I think it would be reasonable. Most of his antagonists aren't really hands on (especially the ones seen here). Batman in his late twenties vs villains in their 40s fit. I'm sure that's why Catwoman is younger as she has to be more acrobatic and in same age range as a love interest (not that it would matter later in their lives). I think Bane should be +/- 5 years. Two-face should be a similar age as they made them out as contemporaries. Zsasz should probably be a similar age to Bruce too. Hopefully it's not just the female villains who are all younger.

I suspect we'll see scare crow as a psychiatrist sooner rather than later. Or a cryogenics expert.

Those aspects of those particular villains could have parents in those professions with kids near Bruce's age too...

I actually watched the premiere with my kids (yes, I'm pretty much regretting that decision on my part...). They reacted at that scene but it wasn't too big of a deal, especially how it played out at the end. I was more disturbed by the language. Every swear word (and there were quite a few) I had to have that little lecture about how those words aren't proper and by all that is sacred and holy, don't tell your mother we were watching this.

I had the same moment with my 10-year-old daughter. She loves super heroes, so I let her watch it with me. By the end of the warehouse scene, she was like, "I never want to watch this again!"

I wasn't concerned about the swearing though. She plays middle school soccer with much older kids at school and hears worse than that daily in practice and during games. I'm really surprised at how quickly I've gotten over the whole swearing taboo with her.

Archived