Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 6 [show spoilers]

Seneti

Could be a Gollum thing. Ramsay is the guy crazy enough to do something the heroes couldn't manage, but he does it for his own reasons rather than an intentional plan to save humanity. But it is more likely that Ramsay does something reckless one time too many and is killed by one of his many enemies.

Yeah, but I wouldn't consider that heroic. I didn't find Gollum admirable for trying to take the Ring even though his attempt ended up destroying it.

Yeah, but I wouldn't consider that heroic. I didn't find Gollum admirable for trying to take the Ring even though his attempt ended up destroying it.

What Janicia said is what I meant.

I suppose I should pick my words more carefully on here.

Let's not call it heroic then, but something that 'saves the day', whether it's for self-interest or through sheer bloody-mindedness.

Damn i really wished for

the riverrun ark. Specially the BF conversation

but let's just hope they do it in a good way.

RR still might happen early in the season. It was discussed awhile back. D&D described Jaime as having a "jetpack" this season like Littlefinger had in the second season, hopping from KL, to Storm's End, to Harrenhall, to KL. Jaime might go early on to Riverrun in 5.02, 5.03 before going to Dorne in 5.04/05.

Right now all we know he's around in KL, then goes to Dorne sometime until at least 5.09. But hopping from two, maybe three places doesn't really fit the jetpack comment.

RR still might happen early in the season. It was discussed awhile back. D&D described Jaime as having a "jetpack" this season like Littlefinger had in the second season, hopping from KL, to Storm's End, to Harrenhall, to KL. Jaime might go early on to Riverrun in 5.02, 5.03 before going to Dorne in 5.04/05.

Right now all we know he's around in KL, then goes to Dorne sometime until at least 5.09. But hopping from two, maybe three places doesn't really fit the jetpack comment.

I certainly hope so.

^It's not his choice though. He also wanted multiple seasons out of AFFC and ADWD instead of covering them both in s5. HBO and D and D have said that it'll be seven.

Charles Dance did say yesterday however that there is some talk of a movie. I don't know how "in the know" he is about production details (since he'll only be in s5 playing Tywin's corpse, as he confirmed in the same interview) but now that whole discussion is bound to resurface on these forums because of that comment.

From the Daily Beast report had this:

He (Charles Dance) also let slip some very interesting news for Thrones fans: that the show’s producers have been actively discussing a future Game of Thrones movie.

“There’s talk of eventually trying to do a feature film, but I don’t know which of the storylines,” says Dance. “There’s so much to cram into a film.”

Tho there is no direct quote for Dance. Did he really say "show's producers"?

A speculation , that is probably on the forum somewhere ... but I have not seen:

The lock-in of actors is indeed probably due to contracts for a 7th season, but what if it is that HBO has asked , maybe by request of parent Time-Warner, to try to take advantage of series popularity with a 200 million dollar block buster movie to end things out?

Lacy Moore's CV's been updated. I linked it in the wotw comments. She'll be "Madam Braavos" in a David Nutter episode (509 or 510). This gels with the recent twitter interactions between Ian Beattie and Maisie Williams and Sarine Sofair (though Sarine's CV doesn't mention David Nutter...yet).

It looks like Meryn will try to get some courtesan action and pay a fatal price. Mercy mercy mercy...

Lacy Moore's CV's been updated. I linked it in the wotw comments. She'll be "Madam Braavos" in a David Nutter episode (509 or 510). This gels with the recent twitter interactions between Ian Beattie and Maisie Williams and Sarine Sofair (though Sarine's CV doesn't mention David Nutter...yet).

It looks like Meryn will try to get some courtesan action and pay a fatal price. Mercy mercy mercy...

Hmm, some idle speculation due to the dearth of news here:

What if Meryn's death is a mix of Raff and Daeron? He deserts the kingsguard and she kills him for both vengeance and oathbreaking?

Who do you think will be upgraded tomain cast? Im thinking Ian McElhinney and Michael McElhatton. Maybe Ciaran Hinds , Daniel Portman and Finn Jones.

We have two certain additions, as Nathalie Emmanuel and Michiel Huisman have been confirmed as new series regulars for Season 5. Additionally, when Tom Wlaschiha's agency first claimed that he would be returning to the show, they included a line stating that he would be part of the show's "main cast". That information has since been removed from the agency's website, and Wlaschiha's contractual status for the upcoming season remains unconfirmed (technically, his return to the show is 'unconfirmed' as well, but we have enough contextual clues to view it as a virtual certainty at this point).

That could very well be it, as I doubt that the show will add more than a handful of regular cast members at this stage in its life. However, if there are one or two more, we have a few intriguing candidates. Michael McElhatton and Diana Rigg were both listed as series regulars in the pre-Season 4 press release, but when Season 4 premiered, neither of them appeared in the opening credits (Kristofer Hivju and Hannah Murray, who were not listed as regulars in that press release, were promoted to the main cast, while McElhatton and Rigg were listed in the post-episode credits as guest stars). Still, both McElhatton and Rigg are respected, long-term veterans who will probably have a decent amount to do in Season 5, so they could get the bump this year.

With Emmanuel and Huisman getting promoted in Daenerys's corner of the story, I'd say that Ian McElhinney and Jacob Anderson both have a chance, but I personally wouldn't bet on it. Gemma Whalen and Daniel Portman are both long-time recurring players who could be due for a promotion if their characters have sufficient arcs going forward to justify such a move. Speaking of long-time recurring players, Julian Glover and Finn Jones are two of the three actors with speaking roles who will have appeared in all five seasons of the show without receiving a promotion to the main cast, so they could get a promotion this year based on longevity alone (the third is Ian Beattie, and all indications point towards Meryn Trant dying at Arya's hands this season). Indira Varma and Ciaran Hinds are also prominent enough actors to merit consideration. And since Tommen has been aged up and will probably play a more active role on the show than he does in the books, I'd throw Dean-Charles Chapman in for consideration as well. I doubt that any of the brand-new cast members will be directly promoted to the main cast - that hasn't happened since Season 2 (Stephen Dillane, Carice van Houten, Liam Cunningham, and Natalie Dormer).

If I had to guess, I would predict that Nathalie Emmanuel, Michiel Huisman, Tom Wlaschiha, and Michael McElhatton will be the new additions, with Daniel Portman, Diana Rigg, and Gemma Whalen as the next most likely candidates. But there's always a surprise or two. I didn't expect Joe Dempsie or Oona Chaplin to become main cast members in Season 3, and I never could have foreseen Hannah Murray's promotion in Season 4.

Bear in mind the move for many actors to the main cast doesn't necessarily merit a massive increase in screen time. Some regulars still only show up for what, four episodes a season? I haven't look at this in awhile, but I thought it was more of a prestige/pay/appreciation thing.

Bear in mind the move for many actors to the main cast doesn't necessarily merit a massive increase in screen time. Some regulars still only show up for what, four episodes a season? I haven't look at this in awhile, but I thought it was more of a prestige/pay/appreciation thing.

Oh, you're quite right that being a main cast member on Game of Thrones doesn't guarantee an actor either as much screentime or as much job security as it would on other shows. It's purely a contractual designation that guarantees that the actor will be available when the producers require them to be, a safe guard against the possibility that said actor could receive another job offer that might preclude them from returning (a movie, a starring role in another show, etc). I'm sure that it comes with a nice increase in salary as well, but it's definitely no guarantee of screentime - if the producers only need an actor for three episodes (like Carice van Houten, Alfie Allen, Iwan Rheon, and Jack Gleeson last year), then that's all that they'll appear in. There may be some guarantees in individual contracts, but obviously we're not privy to those. In light of all that, an actor's name appearing in the opening credits almost certainly has more to do with the caliber of their agent than their character's relative importance to a given season's narrative.

Nevertheless, guessing which actors will receive that nominal promotion tends to be one my favorite topics of speculation between seasons, even if it's ultimately rather meaningless. :) I have no great fear that Michael McElhatton, Diana Rigg, or Ian McElhinney are going to leave Game of Thrones behind if they're offered the opportunity to work on another production. Our resident Dame has earned the right to be selective at this stage in her career, and both McElhatton and McElhinney seem like they're happy to return whenever Benioff and Weiss ask them to, even if it's only for a couple of episodes. But any of them finally becoming series regulars would be a nice acknowledgment of what a great job they've done with their roles and - lack of guaranteed screentime aside - a decent indicator that say, Roose Bolton may be sticking around for a while (which would be a damn fine thing indeed).

Symbolic gestures take back seat to necessity, however, and ultimately, the actors who really need to be locked down to regular contracts are the ones who are the most likely to receive other, potentially more lucrative offers. Nathalie Emmanuel recently locked down significant roles in both Furious 7 and the Maze Runner sequel (incidentally, I am very much looking forward to seeing her on the big screen). Michiel Huisman has recurring roles on two other shows (Orphan Black and Nashville) right now in addition to appearing in several movies of his own. That may be why the Game of Thrones producers felt that they needed to lock those two into more ironclad contracts this season (they have to be glad that they got Gwendoline Christie onto a regular contract before Star Wars came calling). Tom Wlaschiha also works quite steadily, so it would make sense to lock him down as well, especially if he's going to appear in later seasons.

Who do you think will be upgraded tomain cast? Im thinking Ian McElhinney and Michael McElhatton. Maybe Ciaran Hinds , Daniel Portman and Finn Jones.

i can see the first three as being upgraded...as for daniel portman and finn jones? idk...finn has been given little in the past 4 seasons...when he is given any speaking role it is usually short...the tyrells are given screentime like natalie and diana (as if were friends) but finn is never there, ever...im blanking on the show right now but i cant remember a single time the three of them have been in one takeand they are all in the same family (then again you can argue why should they? well the show has done a lot of conversations between people who dont have conversations in the book) oh wait they had the whole confusion over what cercei would bee to marg or loras during sansas wedding but that was it i think? (correct me forumers if im wrong) anyway...daniel portman (pod) doesnt get much either...if hes in the scene he will have a line or a comment to a line...he wasnt ALWAYS with tyrion in season two or three but when he was he would say something...even in the whole brienne v hound thing he was gone for like 5 mins of screentime for the screentiem they had during the episode and when he does he doesnt do much really...hes a great addition, they improved him from book-tv (besides the sex god thing, god that was awful), but they ruined lorars...and i dont see SO much screentime...i mean hes been betrothed to cercei since season 3 and hes barely found..and when he is, 100% of the time not 99, not 98,, but 100% it is mentioned or obviously suggested that he is gay. which is great to show the actual diversity to an audience which i respect utmost, but they literally use him as the token gay character on the television show which is pretty bad since they could of done many and more with him that would of gained a lot more respect. by showing a different and not so small way at characterizing a gay person. with that big comment, i will ensure my statement and say i see the first three possibly being upgraded, but not the latter. im also not trying to turn this into a political debate so no one get offended. Im simply just commenting further on why i dont see daniel portman or finn jones being upgraded simply by how they have been written. Briennes story seems small to me this season, and with pod by her side, i dont see a lot for him...sometimes they do shots where one person will be in it the entire time but the sidekick (like pod) wont be featured (as in the fight between her and sandor)...all of their scened in season four seemed short, but right for what they were trying to do...kind of like reminders that they are around and kicking and have an interesting thing to do (hopefully) coming up...anyways thats for that comment.

Archived