Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 6 [show spoilers]

Seneti

The freed slaves revere Dany for freeing slaves. Do the freed slaves actually share the rest of Dany's beliefs or agree with any of her other policies? Does anybody approve of Dany's decision to leave the disease victims outside the city, but then to go out and mingle with them and risk spreading the disease into the city? Does anybody approve of Dany's unwillingness to use the dragons to defend her people? Does anybody care about her claims on Westeros? Does anybody agree with her approach to hostage taking? Was her refusal to defend Astapor popular? What about her failure to poison the wells around Meereen?

In Astapor, they made Unsullied out of the the upper classes' children, which profoundly contrasts with Dany's beliefs. Astapor also promptly rejected Dany's leadership council. Dany's opinions about pit fighting were also at odds with those of the freed slaves.

And Dany wasn't even in power long enough for important disputes to come up about sexual practices, property rights, death rites, commerce, taxes, economic policy, foreign policy, religion, ect.

We have glimpses of what the class of the masters were thinking. We don't know what the freed slaves thought of Dany's policies, so it is hard to prioritize their opinions.

We weren't talking about specific policies, we were talking about BELIEFS. Refusing to help Astapor has nothing to do with her beliefs, it was about the situation and practical considerations and capabilities. The statement was that Dany's beliefs supposedly clash with those of the local population. This clearly does not refer to things she did not get to address. And if we're talking about hostage taking etc., that 1) was never a subject of a referendum or a survey so we would know what the majority of people thought, 2) is not the subject of a referendum in any society ever, even the most democratic ones. Can you imagine a country where the prime minister or president called a referendum every time he or she needed to decide how to negotiate with foreign leaders?

Well, it is self evident that Dany's rule in Meereen is controversial, Jon's time as LC much less so. A good number of people, myself included view her rule in Meereen as evidence that she is not suited for ruling, many others view it as more typical of a learning curve and find her mistakes forgivable. But, it's undeniable that the Meereen arc created a split about Dany that I don't think existed before, or certainly not to the degree it exists now.

Agreed, I'm a Dany fan and don't think she's a good ruler... That's not her thing.

Maybe this would be better suited for a Dany-related thread, but here i go.

A discussion about whether she is a good ruler or not, i find that interesting and necessary. But are we really fit to try and give a definitive answer? Look at the world around you. Our so-called democracies are mostly a fallacy. We're led by mostly lousy and/or corrupt leaders and we don't even smeel it. In modern times, very few of us know what a good governor is.

Quasi-philosophical rant over :)

A discussion about whether she is a good ruler or not, i find that interesting and necessary. But are we really fit to try and give a definitive answer? Look at the world around you. Our so-called democracies are mostly a fallacy. We're led by mostly lousy and/or corrupt leaders and we don't even smeel it. In modern times, very few of us know what a good governor is.

I think we all share the sentiment don't worry.

I don't really know if this is how I think it will go down, but I think it's a possibility:

6.01: Daenerys hangs out with the Dothraki. I think there will be some sort of friction between them, until the end were she somehow takes charge of them. Meanwhile, in Meereen Tyrion, Daario, Grey Worm and Jorah (I think Barristan will die in S05) plan their coup against Hizdahr and the Sons of the Harpy.

6.02: The Meereen gang start the coup against Hizdahr and take the city. Someone (Hizdahr? Yezzan?) attempts to control the chained dragons, and is fried. During all this, Daenerys returns with her big ass khalasar and takes back her seat as Queen of Meereen.

6.03: Some political stuff in Meereen. A seed is planted for Daenerys to leave. Maybe this is where she learns who Tyrion really is.

6.04: Daenerys and her jolly gang leaves Slaver's Bay. For some reason. I really don't know what. But something.

6.05: Absent.

6.06: Boat ride!

6.07: Absent.

6.08: More boat ride!

6.09: Okay, so we don't really know where Dany will land. Some say Dragonstone, some say the Vale. It could pretty much be anywhere. Right now I'm thinking she'll land in Oldtown, so this episode will focus on a battle over there. Daenerys vs. Euron. Maybe Sam and Gilly is there, too.

6.10: The aftermath of said battle. Dany plans for the future.

Anyway, assuming Dany is in the Dothraki sea as of S5E10 with Drogon basically under her control, my outline for her plot in season 6 would be:

1: Meeting the Dothraki, talking with them some.

2: Try to convince the Dothraki to join her, setting Drogon on them if they refuse.

3: Either a ) back in Meereen to announce that its time to head to Westeros or b ) sending word to Meereen for her forces to head to Westeros while she heads west with the Dothraki.

4: Either way, a scene establishing that's she's heading west and has been for at least a few days already.

5: Another journeying scene, either including or as a second scene, her starting to plot her landing.

6: If a ) then some filler scene, If b ) then some scene of her threatening some free city until it gives her boats.

7: Scene of her crossing the narrow sea, last shot of the episode should be her looking out at whatever castle she's landing at.

8: Maybe a battle if that's what's necessary, but the point is she's in Westeros. Have a scene with her sending out the ravens to all corners of realm that she's here.

9: Scenes of her doing whatever she does, scenes of everyone else reacting (this is VERY important, and there's no time for it in season 7). Also, I suspect the Others make a big move this episode (what that is depends on just how far south they'll end up going)

10: More of what happened in E9, plus she has a big victory, maybe she takes Kings Landing? Then season ends with word that a horde of ice zombies is coming.

There needs to be time for at least some payoff for her landing, and there's no time once the war for the dawn starts. That's why she needs to be in Westeros before the end of season 6.

Gonna add my own tinfoil among the list of prospects:

5.01 - Stalwart Shield Down.

5.02 - Hizdahr returns from Yunkai and says things are poop. They were thrown back by an army when they arrived. Yunkai is pressing north. The Second Sons stayed behind to harass and hold them off.

5.03 - Skipped.

5.04 - Murders have been ongoing. Dany pledges to marry Hizdahr for peace.

5.05 - Daario returns. He says the fighting was tough. They couldn't hold them off any longer. He hurried home as soon as he could. Astapor fell, and Yunkai is coming, along with a plague. They make out.

5.06 - The pale mare arrives. Things are bad. Daario and Dany are hooking up.

5.07 - Dany visits the camps outside.

5.08 - Meereen is surrounded by armies. Dany thinks war is imminent, but their marriage pact saves the city from fighting. She and Hizdahr meet Yezzan and he gives Tyrion to his majesty as a gift. Dany tells Daario this is their last night.

5.09 - Dany is married. Daznak’s Pit is held to celebrate. Hizdahr is murdered. A flying lizard shows up.

5.10 - Dany feasts with Drogon and she passes out. She has a vision of Viserys. She wakes up as a khalasar approachs.

-------------------------

6.01 - Dany roasts Khal Jhaqo, takes her new khalasar, and rides to Vaes Dothrak.

6.02 - Dany unites the Dothraki under a single khalasar, fulfilling her role as TSTWMTW.

6.03 - Dany arrives back at Meereen with her army. She destroys whatever the Great Masters have left, and returns to her seat. The council discusses what has happened. New information has come to light. She has to get back to Westeros, or it won't be there by the time she arrives. Daario stays around after, but she rejects his advances.

6.04 - Dany deals with restoring Slaver’s Bay to a kingdom and places? Someone? This guy? In command as she departs for Westeros. Daario continues to flirt with her. He says now that she's no longer married they can be together again. She says she is sorry but she has moved on and is no longer a little girl. Dany sends the khalasars to ride over to Pentos. They will board the fleet for the voyage across the Narrow Sea to join her once they've been emptied in Westeros with the unsullied and sellswords.

6.05 - The fleet is at sea, passing Valayria. A ship appears alongside Dany's. Barristan is murdered. Missandei is murdered. Jorah dies. Daario dies. Tyrion escapes by hopping into the water and he goes unnoticed. Euron captures Dany and chains her up. He professes his love for her and wants her to be his Queen. Tyrion is picked up by another ship.

6.06 - None of the rest of the fleet knows what is going on. Dany’s avengers discuss how to free her, and prepare to hatch a plan.

6.07 - The avengers close on the Silence in the dark, but Euron is tipped off. He tries to hurry and escape. Tyrion summons/rides a dragon and burns the Silence’s sails. The avengers are able to get close and board. As the ship burns, Euron is slain by Sandor Clegane. Dany is freed. They continue to sail on to Westeros.

6.08 - Skipped.

6.09 - Dragonstone is taken.

6.10 - Dany arrives in Blackwater Bay outside King’s Landing. Boom. Wildfire goes off. No more KL.

-------------------------

7.01 - Dany inspects the ruins of the Red Keep as the snows fall. She dispatches her dragons and splits her armies to take Westeros.

7.02 - Whatever Dorne has left pledges its support to Dany -or- Skipped.

7.03 - Highgarden is taken. Dany/Tyrion leave for Casterly Rock.

7.04 - The Eyrie is burned by a dragon and the second army leaves for the Riverlands.

7.05 - Casterly Rock is taken. Dany leaves for Riverrun.

7.06 - The two armies link up. Riverrun surrenders. Dany’s army moves to the North with all the remaining power of Dorne, the Reach, the Westerlands, the Crownlands, the Riverlands, and the Vale to confront the usurper Aegon VII, who is reportedly bringing an army south.

7.07 - Jon and Dany meet. Stuff happens. Dany tries to burn Jon with Drogon, but he doesn’t burn because !ShowFireCannotKillaDragon. They become friends, make out, o something.

7.08 - They prepare to fight the White Walkers. All the storylines merge back into one.

7.09 - There is a huge Battle. People Die.

7.10 - Epilogue.

Well we did have monarchies for thousands of years , until people said "what the hell kind of deal is this?"

You can say if we had kings and queens we would not be in the mess we are in ....

we would be in some kind of other mess.

Damn, what did it say? I was really hoping winds would be out at some point next year albeit towards the end of the year.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/120590-grrm-at-recent-charity-event-im-still-in-the-middle-of-the-book/#

... Sorry, to crush your hopes :(

As in proper promo? Yeah.

We might get those clips like we did last year end of December time though

We already got some clips last year in December? :O

I thought the first S4-related thing (trailer #1) was released in mid-January... Considering that they're filming this year till 15.12.14, if I'm not wrong, I wonder if this will or rather won't happen again...

We already got some clips last year in December? :o

I thought the first S4-related thing (trailer #1) was released in mid-January... Considering that they're filming this year till 15.12.14, if I'm not wrong, I wonder if this will or rather won't happen again...

I believe they showed some new clips in a season 3 wrap up video or something like that.

We already got some clips last year in December? :o

It might have been Jan actually, now I think...I dunno, I thought it was on HBO's coming this year clip or something, I could be mistaken about when that was, apologies.

It's still possible to be out before Season 6, given that GRRM usually defines two groups of writing - what he has finished-finished, and what he is written that isn't finalized. It's possible half of the book he's talking about is totally done, and he's being conservative with his most recent estimation of completion in a long time, but I wouldn't hold out that much hope.

I've thought about how they would do a finale movie before, ever since GRRM's interview about having a feature.

It's a hard thing to create a movie where both people who have seen GoT and a new audience can attend and enjoy. Relaying too much character development would harm the experience for the show watchers and detract from the finale itself. Not relaying enough greatly hurts the enjoyment of the new audience. You have to find the right balance in the most timely, effective manner to bring everyone up to speed in a thematic way.

Here's what I came up with to work for the intro of a standalone, finale film to try and bridge this gap:

Two young kids carrying books are briskly walking through a stone hallway.

Girl: Hurry, or we're going to miss this class as well!

Boy: I'm trying!

The boy is struggling to hold onto his books and follow the girl. They reach a set of iron-studded weirwood doors and crack them open. The lecture hall is very large and the two slink into the far back row. They listen to the lecturer speak for a moment. The scene focuses on the two of them - the lecturer's words are mostly muddled/deafened to the audience.

Girl: House Dayne... that's not one of the houses I’ve heard of. We shouldn't learn about the minor houses until... Well.. Shit! We’ve missed the lectures on the War of the Five Kings. We arrived later than I expected…

Boy: The... War of the Five Kings?

Girl: You never did pay attention. I kept telling you to come listen to Maester Martyn’s tales, but yoouu wouldn't listen.

Boy: I wasn't the one who made us leave so late that we missed thirty days of class. We’ll never get caught up now.

Girl: Grandfather told me the Archmaester is an old friend of his. He said he would help us in any way we need. We just have to go see him after class, that's all.

Boy: I hope you’re right.

The lecturer dismisses the class and mentions an exam in two days. The hall empties and the two walk forward to their new teacher. The man has his back turned and is wiping off a board.

Girl: Archmaester...

Archmaester: Hmm? Oh hello!

The Archmaester turns around and is revealed to be an aged Samwell Tarly.

Samwell: You must be Arya and... Theon, is it?

Theon: Yes, I am, I mean, we are.

Samwell: Oh, I've heard all about you two! I was expecting you a moon's turn ago but, ohh, I know the perils of travel…

Arya: It's my fault I was-

Samwell: Oh don't worry, it's no bother at all, really. I know why you’re here. We’ve got an examination coming up, and I expect you’d like a bit of a refresher. Nothing makes the past a sweeter place to visit than the prospect of imminent exams!

Theon: ...Yes, we were wondering that. The War of the Five Kings? Is this what's called the Game of Thrones? I’ve never heard these stories.

Samwell: You’ve never... What? Have you been living under a rock? …Oh dear, well, I can go over the major points with you. One second…

>Insert brief lecture lasting a few minutes<

Sam pulls a big map down over the board showing The Known World. Sam briefly goes over the main characters and what the audience needs to know for the finale. The kids ask some questions and answer some back. This passage works to ingrain the viewer with a sense of overall understanding. Sam reaches the end of the lecture…

Samwell: ...And that was the story of when the Lords and Ladies played for the iron throne. Any questions?

Arya: You sure that's the end? I thought there was more to it than that. What happened when winter came?

Samwell: Oh yes, there most certainly is more – some would say the best part, but that’s not the Game of Thrones – that’s the Song of Ice and Fire!

Theon: Would you mind going over it for us as well?

Arya: Please?

Samwell: Of course I wouldn’t mind, but that’s not something I can just do briefly, oh no. We might be here awhile; take a seat.

The kids sit down and Sam reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small spherical trinket with bronze bands encircling a metal ball.

Samwell: This is the close of the story, but never the end. It’s a bit sad, but it’s also a bit happy – and that’s always good! …Even now it feels as real as yesterday. Tell me, before I begin, do you know what always goes well with a tale such as this?

Arya: I don’t think so.

Samwell: A little touch… of magic!

Sam tosses the trinket up in the air close to the map. He snaps his fingers as the ball reaches its apex. In a flash of light, the ball fires and spins. The camera zooms in on the ball and the Game of Thrones Theme begins to play, and the pre-movie credits roll against the standard GoT title sequence.

I have to admit, that would rock!

I believe they showed some new clips in a season 3 wrap up video or something like that.

Ah, okay, nice :)

I love the time when they release their trailers one by one, I remember this year how I watched every video dozens of times and stop at every single microsecond to analyze what I see/hear; the trailers are always very well done, IMO, with beautiful music, and the speculations should again become interesting.

I think the saying "Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude / Anticipation is the greating point" is true (at least when we're not talking about such a lull as now).

Archived