More Beverages You Are Drinking: Buy-Back Round

Xray the Enforcer

That is my plan for today. How did I pick this week to do the no-caffeine thing?!

Xray, have you tried the Cremant yet? How is it? I don't have any real experience with Cremant du Jura, but insofar as I like sparkling wines, I quite like good rosés.

Yep. It's interesting. Very crisp on the palate at the fore; finishes with a strong hint of ripe red berries (basically, as it warms up in your mouth you get the complex aromatics).

As such, you want to make sure this one stays in the fridge and only dose it out in small pours. I think that if it warms up a little too much in the glass, it might be overwhelming, especially if you're pairing it with a delicately flavored starter. Should be nice with briny things, though. And at the price point ($25), it's a nice value.

BTW, this is the Cremant du Jura Rose from Jean Bourdy.

I'm going to take this opportunity to praise a great Russian vodka that is absurdly inexpensive, Gzhelka. It used to be about seven dollars a bottle, now it might be double that. If you can get your hands on it, drink it neat with your favorite juice as a chaser (do not mix). Here's to recognizing vodka as a dimensional drink in it's own right, not just something to mix into "girls' drinks". Haven't seen it in American liquour stores outside of Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay, but if you find it, grab a bottle.

Holy shitballs. We are drinking a 1997 JW Lees Harvest Ale.

One of the best pours of beer I've ever had.

At a bottleshare last Christmas we had the 2003, 2006 and 2007. They were fantastic. You can often happen across them for peanuts in odd places too. However, we're boycotting them after their awful campaign this year.

We kicked off the festivities today with some Fou Foune <3 The rest of the day is for Prairie Ales and more Cantillon.

We are now drinking a two-year-old Cascade Kriek. So tasty.

I got a local beer book for Christmas. First thing I did was start flagging any brewery that had a kriek listed. They prove to be hard to find at times.

Recently I have realized something strange about myself. My two favorite beers of the year have been Pale Ales, yet on the whole I am ambivilent to most pale ales. The problem, of course, is the two I have found are hard to get ahold of. One is in a small brewery 20 minutes from Jackson, WY (so...9 hours away from me). And the other is a Fresh Hopped seasonal. Guess I will be trying more Pales in the near future to see if this is a change in taste I need to explore or if those two beers were just truly exceptional.

Archived